• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

A Struggling Artist

Hulaette

The Magical Mermaid
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Blue Candy
Jack
Orange (Fruit)
Have you ever been discouraged about something that you love doing? Have you ever gotten a comment that makes you feel ashamed for the way you to the thing you always loved?

One time I became confident enough to start writing stories that I enjoy writing. I felt so free when I discovered I could put my stories on here and It was one of the most happiest times of my life. My stories are short but that's my style and I love that I can express myself through the wacky stories that I write. Oneday I got some backlash and it was extremely negative, I kept posting stories and talking about my ideas but the commentor kept criticizing me in a mean spirited way. I started feeling awful about myself and believed that my work was crap, no one likes it, everyone hates me because I'm dumb, and everything I say is mediocre garbage. I was so upset and angry that I became depressed, I stopped taking my medication because I thought "what's the point?" That's when I deleted all of my stories and I withdrew myself from the world for a while. After a while I began to draw pictures of the characters who were in my stories. That changed something in me, from that day on I started to feel happy again and before I knew it I started becoming inspired again! And I promised myself if people try to bring me down and tell me that I can't do what I love that I would show them that I can strive achieve something better.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever been discouraged by anybody but myself... usually looking at things other people make bums me out and makes me want to quit, but I have a lot of supportive people who enjoy my stuff and ask to see/read it which helps me through.

I don't think you should let anyone discourage you from what you like to do, I think you just need to find the right people who are into the same genre of things you are, and find those supportive people to help you along!

For me I found a lot of supportive writing friends on NaNoWriMo, I posted around the forums vaguely about my story I was working on and tons of people were interested in reading the outcome. (I haven't finished so I never got to let them read it...) But it wasn't something I thought a lot of people would like because it's morbid and has demons and stuff in it... but I had a HUGE positive reaction to just excerpts I posted and stuff, so I think you just need to find the right people.

I don't think I've ever been discouraged by anybody but myself... usually looking at things other people make bums me out and makes me want to quit, but I have a lot of supportive people who enjoy my stuff and ask to see/read it which helps me through.

Thissss! I am probably my biggest crutch when it comes to my work. I know I have a lot of people who like my personal work and well, I've been hired for it so it must mean something... I don't even mind getting harsh criticism (man, I miss college for that!) but sometimes I get really self conscious and always bring myself down for no reason. It sucks! But like you said, having supportive friends and colleagues really help.

OP, I'm sorry you had to go through all that but at least you came out of it strong! :> no one likes to hear negative comments. I hope you always keep writing and drawing!

Thissss! I am probably my biggest crutch when it comes to my work. I know I have a lot of people who like my personal work and well, I've been hired for it so it must mean something... I don't even mind getting harsh criticism (man, I miss college for that!) but sometimes I get really self conscious and always bring myself down for no reason. It sucks! But like you said, having supportive friends and colleagues really help.

OP, I'm sorry you had to go through all that but at least you came out of it strong! :> no one likes to hear negative comments. I hope you always keep writing and drawing!
RIGHT? Yeah, I mean obviously just for tbt in my case, but the fact that people have PAID me for artwork makes me feel better about it. Well and I have sold things IRL too, sculptures and paintings. So that keeps me going for sure. I wish I had more time to make and sell stuff IRL again... Miss those days.

My mother said to me just a few days ago that I'll never make anything off my writing. For the record, I've been traditionally published three times, have a degree in screenwriting, and have had my work praised by a number of authors, poets, editors, and screenwriters.

-_-

Honestly, those who just comment hateful things or just mean little jerks, are spineless. I think they're cowards that they have to go on this weird hate spray and got so worked over someone else's work. Just be a wall to them. Don't give them that power at all.

I've had someone try to tear down my work, in a public forum like this one. They tried to call me out, tell me that my work is crap, I'm crap and just give up. Total rando stranger just upset over an item I made for this avatar website. It was pretty jarring, but I was more shocked at their behavior.

No one had my back, this community I was in for 4+ years. It was just me being isolated while everyone sorta gawked. But I didn't care. Who are they? Just some speck in space. This is my passion, I know I'm good and my worth.

I don't know where you're posting your stuff but you have the power to delete, block their comments off. Or just become a brick wall to them. I feel like a lot of people who are negative tend to project some kind of insecurity happening in their life.

Honestly, those who just comment hateful things or just mean little jerks, are spineless. I think they're cowards that they have to go on this weird hate spray and got so worked over someone else's work. Just be a wall to them. Don't give them that power at all.

I've had someone try to tear down my work, in a public forum like this one. They tried to call me out, tell me that my work is crap, I'm crap and just give up. Total rando stranger just upset over an item I made for this avatar website. It was pretty jarring, but I was more shocked at their behavior.

No one had my back, this community I was in for 4+ years. It was just me being isolated while everyone sorta gawked. But I didn't care. Who are they? Just some speck in space. This is my passion, I know I'm good and my worth.

I don't know where you're posting your stuff but you have the power to delete, block their comments off. Or just become a brick wall to them. I feel like a lot of people who are negative tend to project some kind of insecurity happening in their life.

Not only did the commentor talk down on my hard work the user went out of their way to personally make things real miserable and hard for me. Anyways I have lots of stuff on the Blog Tree on here as I have undeleted everything.

when people comment on your things that is obviously just blatant hate, its easiest to look at it like they aren't serious with their "criticism" because if they were serious with critiquing your work, it would have been constructive and it definitely wouldn't be belittling.

I remember one time I posted a story on the internet and some people liked it until there was this one person who was just heated up and hostile from the first word to the last, i could almost taste the salt when I read their comment. And they expect you to get caught up in their hostility, and they either want you to get mad as well or be upset and sad, if you do either of those, then they got what they wanted. But what I did was be very positive, ignored the useless words "garbage" "stupid" "crappy" and paid attention to the words with meaning "ignorant" "boring" "cliche" and tried to figure out why they would say that. Then point out their meaning in their critique and your intentions with your story or back ups that prove why you think their critique may be wrong, and if you see more useless words than meaningful ones, then watch as they get flustered and confused when you politely critique their critique, because when you hold a mirror in their face, then they realize how bad they look. Because they expect anger or sadness in return, they know how to respond to that, but when you smile and hold a mirror in their face, then they don't know what to do from there.

And sometimes some of em just don't care, they just want to talk. Treat those comments like they're just background noise. Cars honking and driving by, its nothing. Just like how they say your work is nothing, so easily like their words are nothing, you also gotta treat their words like nothing, since they don't even care about whatever they are saying.

My mother said to me just a few days ago that I'll never make anything off my writing. For the record, I've been traditionally published three times, have a degree in screenwriting, and have had my work praised by a number of authors, poets, editors, and screenwriters.

-_-

That's really harsh. Out of everything my art is the one thing my mom's always been behind 110%, which is funny cause I know I would never be able to make a living. But she tries to convince me to sell stuff I haven't made in years (things I think are really crappy now tbh), like I used to make these beads when I was still in school so like.. six years ago? I made poly-clay beads and pendants and paper beads and she still anytime some kind of fair is coming up she's like "you need to sell your beads there!" She's a big ol jerk when it comes to anything else though, but my art has always been something she's been a big supporter of which has always been really cool. I'm sorry you have to deal with that Tina, but I am 100% sure your writing is probably really awesome, and I know from NaNo how freaking amazing you are at churning it out!

well sort of
i've had lots of people say my drawings are "weird" or "scary" so i am always reluctant to show anyone who knows me my artwork and it always makes me lose a bit of my motivation
but i do like just drawing for myself

i'm not an artist, but i am a writer. i've never really had anyone say something negative about my writing, but i feel discouraged about it a lot honestly, because i feel like despite how much i want to be an author, it'll never happen

i'm not an artist, but i am a writer. i've never really had anyone say something negative about my writing, but i feel discouraged about it a lot honestly, because i feel like despite how much i want to be an author, it'll never happen

I feel the same way, especially because I have like 11 started novels. Two or three of them are very near completion, but I just can't seem to wrap them up. I have a friend who said she'd help me edit them and everything but I just can't seem to "get there" and even if I did I feel like I'd be too nervous to share it... cause I don't think it's good enough to share? Like I feel I'll share it and people wont be into it. I don't know. But it scares me.

Criticism is necessary to grow as an artist, you can't dismiss it as "meanies" having no idea. Harsh critics are the best, they won't kiss up to you and tell you directly what exactly is wrong with your story and what you have to fix. You want your readers to enjoy it.

I discourage myself. I've spent several weeks on a piece just to find someone who will buy it for $12, but paintings like this sell for millions:

modern_art_sold_for_bank.jpg

Is there any point to taking the time and effort in order to make art now if this is what sells?

Last edited:
I guess I'm just lucky because I do my thing and it doesn't really matter to me whether people even see it, never mind like or dislike it. I make art for me, and if people tag along for the ride, that's great. If I get a commission, that's great. It's more personal to me than that.

I guess I'm just lucky because I do my thing and it doesn't really matter to me whether people even see it, never mind like or dislike it. I make art for me, and if people tag along for the ride, that's great. If I get a commission, that's great. It's more personal to me than that.

Yea, but have you ever hit a roadblock in your life that made you unsure of yourself or your creations? I mean we all get hit hard by something but when it comes to the art of anything the creator gets up and keeps going. The journey to reach your dream is never easy so I'm sure you'd had a rough patch before.

Last edited:
I discourage myself. I've spent several weeks on a piece just to find someone who will buy it for $12, but paintings like this sell for millions:

modern_art_sold_for_bank.jpg

Is there any point to taking the time and effort in order to make art now if this is what sells?

That's literally a Barnett Newman painting. A man who spent years working at his craft, building up connections and a network of collectors and over time his work grew in value. There's A LOT to consider with expensive works of art. He probably got nothing near to this for his first works. He spent years practicing different styles and then became known as a major figure in abstract expressionism.

Artwork doesn't just suddenly become worth millions for no reason. I've been working as an artist professionally for 5 years and I'm only just being recognized locally - and that's only by people within the arts industry.
You have to put A LOT of time (years) into your practice to be able to sell work for that much.

It's rarely the case when an emerging artist can sell work for that price unless they have been discovered by someone very acclaimed within the arts.

If you are serious about art as a career you have a lot to learn.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Got sidetracked by that.
--
Accept constructive criticism. Try out ideas that others suggest. It all leads to improvement in your work. Sometimes it might not work and the criticism can then be discarded.

If it's outright slating your work then GOOD. YOU GOT A REACTION. Would you rather someone feel passionately one way or another about your work or feel nothing at all!

Take it on the chin and keep going. Art is a matter of taste. What is amazing to one person may be utter crap to another. Never let that get you down, if you are confident about your own work then keep going.

exactly this , what others think shouldnt matter and you dont have to cater to anyone bc then it wont be ur art anymore :) i mean unless ur doing work on commission then yeah i guess they kinda do matter, but still when someone is hiring u or wanting to pay so you can make them something its because they dig the way YOU do things

also not saying to ignore criticism bc then youll never see how to improve but its not something you should take to heart. however criticism should never be a PERSONAL attack, sure an attack on ur work but never on u, cuz then its just bullying lmao (unless youre just a trashy person who makes trashy art like John Green, but im assuming you are not John Greem) and u can ignore tf outta them

Last edited:
That's literally a Barnett Newman painting. A man who spent years working at his craft, building up connections and a network of collectors and over time his work grew in value. There's A LOT to consider with expensive works of art. He probably got nothing near to this for his first works. He spent years practicing different styles and then became known as a major figure in abstract expressionism.

Artwork doesn't just suddenly become worth millions for no reason. I've been working as an artist professionally for 5 years and I'm only just being recognized locally - and that's only by people within the arts industry.
You have to put A LOT of time (years) into your practice to be able to sell work for that much.

It's rarely the case when an emerging artist can sell work for that price unless they have been discovered by someone very acclaimed within the arts.

If you are serious about art as a career you have a lot to learn.
Eh if you say so. I still don't understand contemporary art. Why would people pay millions just because some professional says they like it? Some teen left his glasses on the floor of a museum and people were treating it like a professional art piece. The glasses were probably on his face for an extended period of time before then, yet people didn't think it was art at the time. I'm really confused.

Back