• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What's the big deal about 'original' villagers?

Hyoon

봄여름가을겨울
Pear 🍐
Lemon 🍋
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Pink Heart Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Pavé Pink Feather
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Sweet Feather
Just curious. I mean, a villager's personality won't change just because they're wearing a different shirt or has an item missing from their house? Plus if you're adopting for any time period, they're most likely going to change in your town anyways. Does it matter to you guys if the villager you're adopting is original?

i think some people just prefer if the villager they're receiving has their default clothes and items. i personally won't adopt a villager unless they're original, because i don't want my villagers to be wearing some random shirt and have a messy and cluttered house, if that makes sense

I generally like to be the one to customise my villagers, I don't like it when their house and stuff has already been messed up by someone else. If I trade a villager I always make sure to reset them to default so that they're original before they go.

It's not too hard to change a catchphrase or shirt, although changing the shirt usually leads to another shirt being on display in their house. For me the biggest issue is if there are any bugs or fish in their home, because those are extremely difficult to get rid of. When they invite you over their house and let you take a piece of their furniture home, they never (or almost never?) let you take the bugs and fish. And I agree with totakek - yes, over time their houses will probably change, but I'd prefer to be the one to do it.

I honestly don't really care. I hardly ever go inside my villagers houses. All I care about is them
:D

So if it's original or not, that's doesn't bother me. It's already hard enough to get a dreamie, let alone an original one.

Besides all of the above, it's a sort of minor OCD where we like things to be perfect and new and shiny. That's why the "used" section at my local BestBuy is so full of crap, even though many of the items are quite new.

Last edited:
Originality doesn't matter to me.I like giving villagers different furniture eventually anyways.I do like to preserve original villager house interiors that I really like.Bertha's dentist office interior is an example.One thing I don't like concerning original villagers is when people post a looking for thread and don't mention that they only want original villagers and when you contact them about the villager they're seeking the first thing they ask is "Are they original?" or "How original are they?".

i think, personally, i just like seeing them in their original shirts before they start tainting each other haha. i also like seeing their houses with all their original decor before they trash it. it just feels more personal if you get to see the slow degradation of their aesthetics in your town haha :blush:

It doesn't matter to me. I've had fresh, original villagers change their clothes on their first full day in town so in my experience they rarely stay "original" for long anyway

If I do adopt a bedraggled villager, I think of them as a project, a fixer-upper! ;)

I wouldn't care at all if my crankys, probably unoriginal, I don't know, would just stop saying "quackpth" as their catchphrase. Ugh, where in the AC world did they get that, anyway?

"Quackpth" is Mallary's catchphrase - unfortunately it seems that they copied it from her. Some of the catchphrases are super weird and/or unsuitable for certain species. Willow was saying "cha-chomp" for a while before I managed to change it back. It was a strange time.

"Quackpth" is Mallary's catchphrase - unfortunately it seems that they copied it from her. Some of the catchphrases are super weird and/or unsuitable for certain species. Willow was saying "cha-chomp" for a while before I managed to change it back. It was a strange time.

Thanks, Mallary is one of my villagers, so they may have gotten it from her in my town, though it seems I remember them having it when I got them (Apollo and Fang). My town is only four months old. I think I'm hearing it less often lately, thankfully, because, again, ugh!

how do you even make a villager go back to their 'original' state? like furni and all. Is that even possible...

how do you even make a villager go back to their 'original' state? like furni and all. Is that even possible...

I'd like to know how to do this, too, please, anyone...

You can either post it to them (quicker) or put items for sale at Re-Tail and hope they're shopping when you enter so you can coerce them into buying.

Is just a way to start with the Villager from Zero, even when his coming from another town.

I wonder if "customized" villagers could ever become a thing... like, a cute villager who has an ugly interior could live in a town where they would change everything until it was pretty and shiny and then give them to adoption. I'm kinda doing this with Deirdre, her house is now all patchwork series customized to british, much better than the original. Hopefully someone will want her when she pings even if it's unoriginal. :)

I don't really mind if villagers aren't original as long as their house isn't complete trash haha, like I don't mind catchphrase changes because I can just change it back or whatever, but I don't like it when their house is ENTIRELY bugs and fish and random garbage items that don't even remotely go together. I guess it's more of a personal aesthetic thing than anything else, and it doesn't change how I feel about having the villager, it just annoys me a little lol :)

Back