What's the big deal about 'original' villagers?

It's a gamble, I feel. I don't really care otherwise for unoriginal or original. I honestly just hope the house isn't too wrecked.

However, I do love finding cute things about an unoriginal villager, like the Muffy I got with such a cute catch-phrase.

i don't really mind in most cases if they're not original, sometimes i even think it's kind of endearing. it does bother me though, if someone has like, changed them in a way that doesn't match their disposition ? idk if that makes sense. just catchphrases that don't go w/ their personality and stuff

It is beyond me how people are so anal about their villagers, I love it when they share phrases and clothes and redecorate their homes. I see them as sentient beings and whatever they want to do, they want to do, and why should I stop them? I'm a mayor not a dictator!

I like to keep my villagers intact. Maybe it's a OCD thing, I don't know. But in past experiences, when a villager would "re-decorate" their house, or put on an outfit that looks like **** on them, it really bothers me. I'd rather keep them the way they are.

I always keep Re-tail full, and I never do favors for my neighbors who are still original, nor do I ever really talk to them. Becoming semi-good friends with them will keep them from leaving the town readily, and it keeps their house/clothes/catchphrase intact.

Lol I sound like such a meanie

For me, I couldn't care less if a villager is original or not - as long as I have the villager, I'm happy! I don't mind sending them a new shirt if I don't like theirs, or working on their house until it's how I like it. Most of my villagers now don't have original shirts, they're mainly wearing ones I designed, and I don't care. I don't see them in their houses often enough for it to bother me if it's not original - maybe if I got a villager off someone and they had a tarantula in their house, then I wouldn't be too happy about it, but for the most part I just want the villager to be honest

For me, I have to admit I'm somewhat picky with the originality status of a villager. I usually would like a villager to be original because I have plans to customize their home, shirt, catchphrase. This is especially true for themed towns. I'm okay with the catchphrase being unoriginal because like everyone said, it's the easiest thing to change. A customized home really depends on what's done. I actually love seeing customized homes that look very cute and charming to the villager's home aka not bugs.

I once got a villager that was supposed to be original but once I got to go into his house after he moved in, there was a cicada in his house. I've tried for months to get him to sell me the cicada or replace it with something else to no avail. I gave up trying to get rid of it. D: I won't have minded if it was a fish but cicadas make the most irritating sound so I rarely venture into his home anymore.

how do you even make a villager go back to their 'original' state? like furni and all. Is that even possible...

It's 95% impossible. I've tried for months. Fauna ended up with the old computer desk so it took ages for her to ask me to replace it. Anytime you give villagers their original furniture, they may not place it in the exact old spot it's supposed to be. You have to wait for the villager to ask to replace the specific item instead of the vague 'can you get something for my home' dialogue.

It doesn't bother me 100% but I prefer keeping my villagers in my town as original as possible so it is a little unpleasant when they come already changed

I prefer keeping them with their default shirts and interiors so it's a big deal for me. Also, I hate whenever I see mismatched furniture inside their homes or like I see an aquarium or a fossil instead of the beds.

I don't really mind them being unoriginal. Despite whether or not their interior is intact, I usually end up messing it up in the end anyways. I prefer them to be in their original clothes (unless it doesn't look good on them) so certain characters I try and get them to change back (eg. I'll send 5 shirts to them to get them to wear it). For example, Clay has such a specific design that if he had another shirt, imo it just wouldn't look as nice :p

Original is desired because people like to customize the villagers themselves or want to preserve the regular greeting/catchphrase

Some people are just perfectionists. I'd rather have an original villager that I can make my own than a villager with an ugly shirt and house already used by someone else.

Just curious. I mean, a villager's personality won't change just because they're wearing a different shirt or has an item missing from their house? Plus if you're adopting for any time period, they're most likely going to change in your town anyways. Does it matter to you guys if the villager you're adopting is original?

I do prefer original, because they may have more 'uncommon/rare' items that they'll eventually just trade/give to you. And if they aren't 'original', then they might not have those items...but if they aren't, then that's not really much of a problem to me. I care more about having the villager than what clothes/items they have. Plus, if I need to I will try to give them items that fit their theme.

i like them original because i like them to change while in my town, kind of like a fresh start type of viewpoint. i don't want a villager who's already changed according to the town it has been in. it's all about how my town molds them i guess? plus if i am adopting a dreamie i plan to keep them not let them move out

I like original villagers because I see them more as a blank slate that I can make my own memories with, I guess. It just won't feel right if the villager's house is all messed up and it's not my fault, you feel? I don't care so much about originality once they're in my hands.

I prefer my villagers and the interior of the houses to be authentic. I really don`t like it when they share clothes or when they put fish and bugs in their houses.

some people have expectations and they won't buy villagers with different items in their houses. I personally don't care if they're unoriginal as long as the house isn't too hard to change back. (fossils, bugs and fish are the problem)

Last edited:
I only have a problem with it because I'd rather not have them put up giant fossil decor along with fish and bugs. I'd rather be the one to redecorate their homes. Like Kitsey said, it's pretty hard get those fish and bugs out of their homes.

I guess some people like having the 'default' version of the villagers, whereas having one that has had interactions with other characters (has different furniture in their home, different catchphrases, ect.). I know I personally prefer having original villagers as well, just because I like starting from scratch haha

Back