• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Japan and Japanese language

SCOOT

SCOOT
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So, this summer I went to Japan for a week. It was awesome!!! Totally the best week of my life. I'm also learning Japanese at school and plan to minor in it when I go to college (next year ;-;). It's so fun to learn!
20170609_113429.jpg
Anyone else love Japan or learning Japanese?

i have never been to japan nor do i know japanese, but i think the language is pretty cool and some of the things/stories that originate from japan are really fascinating

yess! i love japan :')
i'm half japanese, so i have family living in tokyo and visiting them is the best! thing! ever! even though i usually visit tokyo, i think it's even better to head out to kyoto or other more traditional japanese areas because there is so much culture there :)
also! visit minamisanriku! it used to be a tourism magnet for its amazing onsens (and the onsens are still amazing- opinion from me, a verified purchaser hehe), but it was the site of the 2011 tohoku tsunami and earthquake. it's still in the process of being rebuilt, and whenever i visit japan, i always visit minamisanriku to do some volunteering. i've done rice farming for them, planting oyester farms, and built houses- overall a 11/10 experience hehehe

i'm so glad you visited japan- it's really such an amazing experience!! and yesss learning japanese sounds so exciting and i'm rooting for you! :blush:

yess! i love japan :')
i'm half japanese, so i have family living in tokyo and visiting them is the best! thing! ever! even though i usually visit tokyo, i think it's even better to head out to kyoto or other more traditional japanese areas because there is so much culture there :)
also! visit minamisanriku! it used to be a tourism magnet for its amazing onsens (and the onsens are still amazing- opinion from me, a verified purchaser hehe), but it was the site of the 2011 tohoku tsunami and earthquake. it's still in the process of being rebuilt, and whenever i visit japan, i always visit minamisanriku to do some volunteering. i've done rice farming for them, planting oyester farms, and built houses- overall a 11/10 experience hehehe

i'm so glad you visited japan- it's really such an amazing experience!! and yesss learning japanese sounds so exciting and i'm rooting for you! :blush:

I loved Kyoto! Toyko was great but I loved the feeling of Kyoto. I've never been to a city as big as Toyko (probably the same for Kyoto) so it felt more chill.

I looked up Minamisanriku and it looks interesting, volunteering sounds like a great thing to do! I actually visited an onsen, it was nice. This was in Atami in our hotel that had traditional style rooms! Those were cool but i couldn't sleep well on the mats lol.

I absolutely want to/plan to visit again. I'll keep Minamisanriku in mind!

Learning Japanese is great. My teacher is easily my favorite teacher ever, she was actually on the trip with me since it was a school trip. I love her!

I have never been to Japan, but would like to go as soon as I can.
I started trying to learn little bits of Japanese in 2009, and got a learning book in 2011 and I used it a lot to the point where I could read full hiragana and katakana by August 2012, but I never got much further than that, and I still can't understand many words...

im working on a minor in japanese and on my own i learned some hiragana but thats it

I went to Japan to visit family in the Kansai area, and I studied Japanese briefly when I was in middle school/high school, I might start learning again. My mom and I are making plans to go back to Japan to visit Hokkaido/maybe some parts of Tohoku. That's about it, Japan's a nice place.

I think it would be really fun to go to Japan for like a week or something. I really want to go to one of those robot hotels and visit Tokyo Disney Land and Sea for sure. It would be an awesome experience for sure, I would love to see some of the historic places and maybe go during a festival because they all look so beautiful from what I've seen! Like the Star Festival and the Cherry Blossom Festival both look amazing. Oh and I have to visit Puroland because I my tiny goth soul is weak for Sanrio.

I don't think I would ever try to learn Japanese to be honest, I am having a hard enough time learning French(mostly because I don't do it often enough...) but that's neat you're learning it! It looks good to be Bilingual going into any occupation, but Japanese I think would be especially helpful in like a business world.

Last edited:
When you watching anime at 3 am
Lol but one day I really want to go visit Japan and see the sights
The Fox Village though ;; I wanna pet them all ;-;

Ahhh I'm so jealous ; w ;
I want to go to japan one day, because I really love their culture and want to visit the historical places & go sightseeing!!
(I actually love Asian cultures in general)

I can't even read Chinese and it's my mother tongue so I'll have to do that before starting to learn Japanese that I don't even speak/understand LOL
Although my main reason for wanting to learn Japanese would be to be able to read Japanese manga raws XD and play Japanese exclusive otome games :'))

I'm half japanese, and have family and friends in Kyoto.
I enjoy going to temples and to just reflect, and pray sometimes, a lot of people like the city and all of the touristy places, so I think, Japan's countryside is very underrated and beautiful. Places like Shirakawa-Go and Ohara. If you can speak fluent or at least conversational japanese, you can always chat with locals and the farmers and most would be happy to tell you what they are doing, esp. if you are a foreigner. Plus you get the freshest, best tasting food there.

Do I love Japan? Yeah, I like it enough to want to try living there in the future. Unlike in LA, I actually feel safe walking around at night time, and I know that the cops here aren't as bad as in America. I think that would be the main reason for wanting to live there, safety, and what i admire about japanese culture is about being a part of a community, everyone doing things together it reflects in their matsuris, and to generalize, they seem to be more in touch with nature, animals and insects, and spiritualism in comparison to american culture. As their two major beliefs/philosophies in life are shinto and buddhism. Thats what I love about japanese culture.

Anyways outside from all that, yeah Tokyo is a great city place its got amazing fashion districts like Harajuku in Shibuya. And Disney Sea is definitely a nice place to go, since I don't think they have it a Disney Sea anywhere else in the world. Mermaid cove is the most memorable place there its so pretty *internal screaming*

yeah i've been learning for 3 years. I have a lot to learn still but I can read, write, hold a conversation and stuff like that. I am taking Japanese at my University. I visited Japan for two weeks this past May.I love Japanese culture and I've met and befriended many Japanese people

I loved talking to people and the gaijin treatment was fun i think. People always get so excited when you speak Japanese to them. You get lots of ambiguous stares of course but I didn't care

Last edited:
i have no motivation to learn the language but i'd happily learn it if i had a proper teacher
teaching yourself a complex language like japanese is confusing and takes a lot of effort
yesterday i went to a convention called hyper japan (i mainly went to play splatoon lol)

yeah i have actually been learning japanese for about 3 years now, next year will be my fourth. it's a hard af language to learn, but idk i stick with it anyways lol

I'm going to Japan next year ^_^ Great picture btw!
I took 4 years of Japanese language and Kanji Drill in university and ended up taking enough classes so I could actually add it as my second minor~

I've been learning Japanese on and off for nearly a month, I don't know much of it yet though. It's such a hard language to learn, but I love the challenge

I'd like to visit at some point (and stuff my face the whole time because oh my god the food), and I love the way the language sounds, so I'd like to learn it at some point, though I don't have much use for it in Texas xD

I really want to take a japanese class
I plan to visit Japan one day so it'd be cool to know the language

plus it'd be cool to learn how to write it - especially Kanji

Last edited:
I know how to say hello, idiot, and cute in Japanese, and that's about it.

I love Japanese culture, though. Lovely stuff. The technology and the art is amazing.

Back