• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Japan and Japanese language

I'm taking Japanese at college. I really want to go to Japan one day, not just because of anime, but also culture, food, and language.

I know katakana, hiragana, maybe around hundred kanji, but to be fluent you have to know thousands of kanji and words of course. I'm a beginner. Foreign language is so hard and you really have to be dedicated.

I haven't studied in about a month so I forgot a lot, sadly.

日本語はいつも難しい、でもまだ楽しい。

i love japan and its language. it pisses me off when people assume you're a weeb or anime fan just because u like japan and its language.

I like it. Kinda regretting not taking any Japanese classes in school, but we covered it for a year on geography.

My uni doesn't offer Japanese language courses, but I'm hoping to take some when I transfer up to the main campus in a year! I'd love to go to Japan, it looks like such a beautiful country! I think I would buy some lolita clothes if I went (BtSSB anyone??), and maybe do some hiking!

My friend went to Japan for a month this summer and he has been teaching me a lot of words, that's about as close as i'll get though lol!

I'm relearning Japanese! I can't visit Japan since I'm broke, but I am half Japanese so I call my relatives that live there.

I love Japan and their culture its very interesting
I want to go to Japan next year! I even envy you

I enjoy Japan and its culture just as much as the next person. Just frustrates me when people are either not born in Japan or don't have any Japanese heritage/ancestors, they call themselves Japanese.

It's okay to enjoy Japanese culture. Just don't take it too far.

- - - Post Merge - - -

For example, I enjoy Swedish culture and I am learning the Swedish language. Doesn't make me Swedish.

I enjoy Japan and its culture just as much as the next person. Just frustrates me when people are either not born in Japan or don't have any Japanese heritage/ancestors, they call themselves Japanese.

Who does that o-o I've never seen that situation

I wouldn't mind visiting Japan someday. I've been interested in the culture, food, and history since I was young. None of my schools or college offered it as language unfortunately. I have a bunch of language/self-teach books but I lack the motivation to learn. I am starting to follow language study tumblrs to use it as motivation and start getting familiar with the language. I learn better in a group environment. It takes a lot of dedication and self-discipline to study a language on your own.

If I had the chance to go someday, I'd like to visit historical sites, museums, and shop. :)

I took one semester of Japanese. it was a struggle memorizing everything with the limited time i had as a full time student. RIP

i love everything japanese omllll. i've studied japanese at school for a year and the culture is so pretty with all the architecture, i love it. it's just so beautiful :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

For example, I enjoy Swedish culture and I am learning the Swedish language. Doesn't make me Swedish.

Or the people that like Japan JUST for anime. Like, please don't disrespect the culture. D: There's more to a country than the cartoons they create.

Who does that o-o I've never seen that situation

i had a ex-friend who is mexican. she changed her name to a japanese name online. and she loved it when she was online with her japanese name and people confused her as japanese. (typically other non-japanese people who think "light skin + long hair + rilakumma stickers/random japanese text on profile picture = japanese.") she wanted everyone to stop calling her her real name.

i was literally the only japanese friend she had, and she told me i was the only person who first met her guessed that she was latina. i guess alot of other people, even other asian non-japanese guessed she was something else. anyways, she often went online to look for asian guys (esp. discount korean kpop star looking ones) to try to chat with. and she really wanted to practice her japanese with me. which consisted of the typical weeb limitations. "kawaii senpai ohayogozaimasu!!"

there is alot of people out there like her. some of them are extreme and others are more subtle.

I'm half-Japanese (Father side) and so I feel like loving everything Japanese is embedded in my genes. Haha. I love how polite and trustworthy the people there are. Honour is very important to them, and so they don't want to do anything that would tarnish their names or make them lose face. That's very admirable.

Their work ethic is something to be in awe of too. They start off young, usually in high school, working in bakeries or shops part-time to earn extra money, and when they're old enough to work as adults, putting in at least 10 hours a day seems to be the norm.

Let's not forget about the food, too. OH. MY. GOSH. Ramen, Okonomiyaki, Gyoza, Katsu -- GAAAAH!

Back