Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Prismatic Easter Egg
Daisy Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
Chao Easter Egg
Dreamy Easter Egg
Zen Easter Egg
Sakura Easter Egg
Today in my town: we are in July, in the morning (8-10am), the sky is a perfect blue, the sun is shinning, there are flowers everywhere but not a single butterfly! I find that rather unusual. I re-loaded, changed the hour, still nothing. Never happened to me before. Is it normal?

that happens to me sometimes. despite the weather and amount of flowers i have, sometimes i just cant find a single butterfly for a while

This always seems to happen to me right after one of my varmints asks me to catch him/her "any kind of butterfly". This game KNOWS!

Butterflies are much more common if you have lots of flowers. They will show up randomly in "air" spaces, but not so frequently.

If you then still run around the town with no luck, it means there are other insects taking up the spaces. There is a limit to the number of bugs that can be in the town at once. Go inside a building, and it'll reset them all.

Last edited:
I have LOT of flowers, there is not much space without flowers in fact, I usually see several of them when the weather is good, I can usually fill my pocket in one morning, but today, nothing at all, the only bugs I see are cicadas. Phineas was there earlier, not sure if it's related, but Phineas seems to appear mostly where the sky is clear.

Edit: I went to the buildings and other bugs finally appeared (should have thought about it earlier...) I saw one butterfly after 5 hours...

Last edited:
Butterflies are much more common if you have lots of flowers. They will show up randomly in "air" spaces, but not so frequently.

If you then still run around the town with no luck, it means there are other insects taking up the spaces. There is a limit to the number of bugs that can be in the town at once. Go inside a building, and it'll reset them all.

This...cicadas probably taking up the spawning spaces. They seem to be everywhere right now.

If you have cicada problems you can run and scare them off, so that helps.

If you are a serious beetle hunter on the island, you will have some knowledge of spawn rates and limits. If there are too many useless bugs, either you need to reset them (by going indoors) or catch/scare them away.

Last edited:
If you scare away everything around you that you're not catching, the likelihood of a butterfly spawning won't increase necessarily, but more things will spawn as more things despawn, meaning you'll be more likely to catch one. This trick is especially useful for speeding up beetle catching on the island.

This...cicadas probably taking up the spawning spaces. They seem to be everywhere right now.

Yes, but the other days it was't really a problem, I had butterflies as well. It's just today.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Try the beach. I usually find them down there.

There are plenty on the beach but I can't catch the Raja Brooke

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you have cicada problems you can run and scare them off, so that helps.

If you are a serious beetle hunter on the island, you will have some knowledge of spawn rates and limits. If there are too many useless bugs, either you need to reset them (by going indoors) or catch/scare them away.

I chased all bugs but it didn't change anything, it works well on the island though.
I saw one butterfly after going indoors, but it just worked once, other bugs are absent as well, I may just Time Travel to tomorrow. (July 7th in my town)

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you scare away everything around you that you're not catching, the likelihood of a butterfly spawning won't increase necessarily, but more things will spawn as more things despawn, meaning you'll be more likely to catch one. This trick is especially useful for speeding up beetle catching on the island.

Doesn't work today. :(

Yeah I notice that during the summer when the cicadas are around, butterflies spawn less frequently because the cicadas are taking up space. If you scare them off butterflies start to appear again!

Back