• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Which system is better? Imperial or Metric?

Which measurement system do you prefer more?

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
I say the imperial measurement system is much better system than the metric measurement system by a hundred miles. I don't like the metric system because not only it's confusing for me, but each metric unit is a decimal number for imperial units.

It becomes less confusing if you use it a lot. I'm planning on studying a physics major in college, and after taking physics my senior year (and even chemistry my junior year) I realized that the metric system is way better to use, because measurements can easily be concerted from one type of measurement to another, and all distances of measurements relate to each other by powers of ten.

I would say for general use that I prefer the imperial system, just because that's what we commonly use in the US. But for all the measurements I have to do in physics, It'll be much easier to measure something in kilometers and concert it to meters than measure in miles and convert to feet.

Everyone should use metric to make the world a lot less complicated.

I prefer metric, and I'm an American.

same. Imperial measurements make 0 sense. (even though they're the ones i'm used to using)
metrics is so much easier to use and convert. I wish we used it.

metric makes sense, is easy to use and convert and in science and whatever they only use metric units.

metric units follow the same pattern and it's so easy because like centi is 1/100, deci is 1/10, hekto is 100, kilo is 1000 and so on. so you can very easily convert it in your head and it's not a bunch of different things all the time.
i guess it'd be a bit difficult to know how much metric units are if you aren't used to them, but once you know it it makes so much sensw and is a million times better than any stone, foot, yard, inch or w/e.

same. Imperial measurements make 0 sense. (even though they're the ones i'm used to using)
metrics is so much easier to use and convert. I wish we used it.

When I was in 4th grade back in 2010, one of my teachers said that we were going to study the metric system first since it's harder, and in my opinion, that's definitely not the case.
What is hard is having to convert metric to imperial and vice versa. I hate doing that.

Metric system is much simpler to use, especially in converting units (powers of 10 basically), even though I'm more used to the imperial system.

hi i found s picture on a bad meme tumblr blog that is very rrlevant to this thread
edit: oh my goddddddd it censored the url i hate this forum
IMG_1371.JPG

Last edited:
hi i found s picture on a bad meme tumblr blog that is very rrlevant to this thread
edit: oh my goddddddd it censored the url i hate this forum
View attachment 203610

I noticed that the other day. I still think Imperial is better, especially Fahrenheit over Celsius and the date arrangement like seen in the pic. I also seen parody pictures of that. But believe what you guys want to believe.

tbh metric is definitely better and easier to use

metric is objectively better, but i live in an imperial world so i'm over it

- - - Post Merge - - -

however i do think fahrenheit > celsius

Metric. And I am an America, so I mean... that says something doesn't it? I just think it's way less confusing with conversions and stuff.

How is this even a question?! Metric, obviously :rolleyes:

I say the imperial measurement system is much better system than the metric measurement system by a hundred miles. I don't like the metric system because not only it's confusing for me, but each metric unit is a decimal number for imperial units.

For me it is the direct opposite! Each imperial unit is a decimal number for metric.

I can't see how anyone can think that imperial units are easy to convert, because even converting imperial units to another imperial unit doesn't have nice numbers to deal with. At least with metric you are working with nice numbers all in a factor of 10 with nice uniform conversions. It would be awful converting very large numbers in imperial units with scientific notation. Once again, you barely have to think about converting very large numbers with metric.

As a studying engineer I have too much love for the niceness of the SI, metric system.

I noticed that the other day. I still think Imperial is better, especially Fahrenheit over Celsius and the date arrangement like seen in the pic. I also seen parody pictures of that. But believe what you guys want to believe.

can u like ... say why .. other than that it's what youre used to, how is it better than metric

Back