• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Coping with ADHD?

helenkeller

fecal sewage ♥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I know ADHD isn't as bad as depression, anxiety, OCD, etc... But I have it and always have struggled with it, even though I have been on meds for nearly ten years. Amphetamine extended release is what I use, and they are very strong, and they work! Don't get me wrong, but I still am sooo annoying, and always moving, always fidgeting..

What are things you do to help?

Fidget spinners are over rated and I don't want to jump on a band wagon but I think they would help me.
I seen them checking out at wal-mart and meijer. So I wouldn't go overboard and cringey like most people do over them... Just a basic cheap one...

But I try to play AC and it isn't helping anymore. I'm not as good of a worker like I was the first week out of training. I don't want to blame it on that, because I just wish I could, but it is HARD. But everything I enjoy (including work) I am lacking at lately.

What do you do to cope with ADHD?? Any tips???

Or any stories with people you know??

I get it from my dad so he knows, but he doesn't realize he does the same things I do so it can bug him lol, like if I leave milk on the counter.

I CAN PLAY AC FOR HOURS, MY ADHD IS JUST SO BAD THAT I CANT. THATS HOW I KNOWWWWW ITS BAD

Well ADHD is the least of my worries, it's almost like i'm too anxious or depressed to even notice it half to time haha. I haven't found anything really effective worth mentions however I think if you want a fidget spinner you should at least try it! Idc if people think it's cringey, if it helps it helps!

Well ADHD is the least of my worries, it's almost like i'm too anxious or depressed to even notice it half to time haha. I haven't found anything really effective worth mentions however I think if you want a fidget spinner you should at least try it! Idc if people think it's cringey, if it helps it helps!

I really might try it. I mean it is a cheap one from walmart, maybe 7-9 dollars for that or a cube.
I always get told to keep my hands from my pockets at work but it helps me not touch my face or hair
(I work in produce, that would be gross)

The managers of the whole store know I have ADHD (you get drug tested and obviously it showed up) so I don't think they would mind it as long as it is helping me perform better.

And when im on forums if I have a fidget spinner/cube I wont want to do something else.
Because I finally got my new ds after not playing it for weeks, and I can't pay attention enough to even play a game!!
I start something and quit it then pick something up, then at the end of the day, nothing is done.

Pretty much any "side" activity helps me, I have ADHD but it's demoted to ADD ever since high school as I don't really get hyper anymore, unless I lose control or get really excited, but it's rare. (I think my depression and anxiety sapped me of my hyperactivity...)

If you don't want to be as noticeable I would suggest getting a fidget ring, I've been wanting one forever, I got my friend one, but I always forget about it, cause you know, I have ADD... But I do have a cube, for me it helps at work, cause I have a lot of in between time and just doing mental stimulus (using the internet) isn't enough and i have to have a physical stimulus as well to help me better focus on whatever it is I am doing. Gum helps, as does clicking pens and playing with my normal ring, I mostly spin it in the desk. And this is if I don't have my cube. I also pick my hair and nails a lot and pretty much anything to be MOVING. I wiggle my legs or tap my feet too. I'm glad I work alone cause I am sure these things would all annoy other people.

I tried out a fidget spinner and to me it was honestly not that cool? It was for me more distracting than helpful, at least for me personally, probably because I had to use both hands to spin it instead of just the one.

I am not medicated, as when I was diagnosed I told my mom I would toss the pills down the toilet rather than take them. I have horrible medical anxiety and I don't want to be medicated unless I can't live without it...

I used to have very severe ADHD, but now it's transformed into more ADD. But I still get very fidgety. I'd say if you don't want to get a fidget spinner, get a fidget cube. They apparently work just as good as a fidget spinner (even though I've heard conflicting reports; some say the fidget spinner does jack****). I haven't bought a fidget cube/spinner because I can't be bothered. I also find that listening to ASMR helps to relax me.

I used to have very severe ADHD, but now it's transformed into more ADD. But I still get very fidgety. I'd say if you don't want to get a fidget spinner, get a fidget cube. They apparently work just as good as a fidget spinner (even though I've heard conflicting reports; some say the fidget spinner does jack****). I haven't bought a fidget cube/spinner because I can't be bothered. I also find that listening to ASMR helps to relax me.

Ehhhh! Kudos for similar experiences! ADHD is what I was diagnosed with but yeah, my hyperactivity dropped off.

mine didnt im all over the place

I think the only reason I'm not hyper anymore is because it was replaced with anxiety and depression. Like it's still there, just dormant. I'll get really excited about something and it shows.

I think the only reason I'm not hyper anymore is because it was replaced with anxiety and depression. Like it's still there, just dormant. I'll get really excited about something and it shows.

i bought a fidget spinner today and it helps. its a cheap one from meijer, i think the trend is cringey but its an okay concept because i try to crack my knuckles so much that my hand skin gets raw or sometimes bleeds.

directing your energy into something else (something athletic maybe) could really help. if you find yourself fidgeting put an elastic band or string around your wrists to distract yourself from doing other things you may or may not want to be doing. tbh, medication never helps and in fact usually makes people with ADHD worse, ending up with latent depression and gut issues. a change in your diet really helps to. no sugar and less carbs. if you have been taking meds for years you should start taking probiotics (greek yogurt, kefir, sauerkruat, kombucha etc) to help make more healthy gut bacteria so you don't develop anymore problems in the future. i know a lot of people with ADHD, a lot of these things helped them.

Last edited:
directing your energy into something else (something athletic maybe) could really help. if you find yourself fidgeting put an elastic band or string around your wrists to distract yourself from doing other things you may or may not want to be doing. tbh, medication never helps and in fact usually makes people with ADHD worse, ending up with latent depression and gut issues. a change in your diet really helps to. no sugar and less carbs. if you have been taking meds for years you should start taking probiotics (greek yogurt, kefir, sauerkruat, kombucha etc) to help make more healthy gut bacteria so you don't develop anymore problems in the future. i know a lot of people with ADHD, a lot of these things helped them.

thanks for the long response! I will take all of this advice. I used to take my pill with smoothies (made from yogurt and organic fruit) because my health freak dad made me every morning. Maybe i should start again and drink them through out my day at work because it is fast and convenient.

I also just got a fidget spinner, and i used it yesterday after i woke up, and it kept me paying attention throughout a whole tv show. I hate the over hype on these things, because now that i tried one, I am going to want to bring it to work while i make my produce cart lists, but idk what the managers will say, if you cant have drinks on the floor idk what they'll say about a fidget spinner

I know ADHD isn't as bad as depression, anxiety, OCD, etc... But I have it and always have struggled with it, even though I have been on meds for nearly ten years. Amphetamine extended release is what I use, and they are very strong, and they work! Don't get me wrong, but I still am sooo annoying, and always moving, always fidgeting..

What are things you do to help?

Fidget spinners are over rated and I don't want to jump on a band wagon but I think they would help me.
I seen them checking out at wal-mart and meijer. So I wouldn't go overboard and cringey like most people do over them... Just a basic cheap one...

But I try to play AC and it isn't helping anymore. I'm not as good of a worker like I was the first week out of training. I don't want to blame it on that, because I just wish I could, but it is HARD. But everything I enjoy (including work) I am lacking at lately.

What do you do to cope with ADHD?? Any tips???

Or any stories with people you know??

I get it from my dad so he knows, but he doesn't realize he does the same things I do so it can bug him lol, like if I leave milk on the counter.

I CAN PLAY AC FOR HOURS, MY ADHD IS JUST SO BAD THAT I CANT. THATS HOW I KNOWWWWW ITS BAD

I deal with ADD, meaning I don't have the 'hyper' part. But I do have a hard time focusing. And everyone deals with it differently, so this might not help you...but personally, I just focus on what I enjoy and put my energy into that. If other things come along, I usually do not care. It takes a lot of willpower to focus when my mind starts to wander, and even then my interest can be gone in an instant without me controlling it.

I did use to take medication, but they thought I had ADHD instead of ADD. It messed me up real bad, made me dizzy and hungry all the time. Might've been that due to my depression, stuff like that has the opposite effect on me...have the same problem when I take sleeping pills, it speeds me up nstead of doing what it's meant to.

I do tend to fidget a lot...and bite my nails...the best thing I can do to keep my hands busy is play games.

Back