• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Are you scared of tarantulas?

The_Storyteller

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Hi all!

So we're about half way into summer by now and I still haven't had much luck with the tarantula/ scorpion catching thing. The scorpion thing is mostly because I've only ever seen one in my town, and my net was just a bit too far to the left and the ******* got me...

Tarantulas though... they are horrors. I've seen plenty, but I always chicken out when it comes to catching them. I thought I was over my fear because I saw one once and approached it calmly with my net. It got away into the river, so I still didn't get to catch it, but it was a marked improvement from my usual reaction, which is to have a heart attack in real life, then promptly run away into the nearest building.

I don't really like bugs in real life much either, but the other day I ran into two tarantulas unprepared, and I was so shaken I actually had to turn the game off. I don't know why I don't like them, but I don't. Is anyone else scared of tarantulas, or is it literally just me?

i'm pretty sure many people have a fear of spiders, me included. I only caught my tarantula during the summer solstice. You can't really catch the scorpion during the elongated day though. :(

I HATE them! I'm in the process of reorganizing my flowers, and every time I see one I think its a black rose (because I have a lot of them in my town) and end up getting attacked.

i hate them so much. and the scorpions. oml

I'm fine with scorpions but I still haven't caught one. Tarantulas seem to spawn more than them and I'm TERRIFIED of how they look. The first time I got bit by one I really thought it was game over.

I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one! I wish they came out during the day... Maybe then it wouldn't be so bad, but I'm not sure. They scare the hell out of me.

In real life, I love them :D They are super adorable and very friendly to handle. In Animal Crossing however, they are absolutely terrifying. The knowledge that they can knock my character out, mixed with the fact that they are super rare and I still need to catch one causes me to freak out so much.

In real life, I love them :D They are super adorable and very friendly to handle. In Animal Crossing however, they are absolutely terrifying. The knowledge that they can knock my character out, mixed with the fact that they are super rare and I still need to catch one causes me to freak out so much.

i searched up if they are venomous in real life and they are but their bites don't knock someone unconscious. our avatars must be passing out from fear.

most scorpion species aren't lethal but the ones that are (Androctonus, Bark...) could kill a kid. And sometimes villagers might comment on our age in the game, saying that we look a bit young to be mayor so...

Last edited:
I... really don't know. I'm not too fond of arachnids, personally. Just something about how they look and move creep me out, but at least they catch bugs that we fear more, or would even be a threat to our lives. People go on about how terrifying they are in-game, and it makes me think that they'll make you jump out of your seat just by them being around. Being rather sensitive with sounds, I fear that it'll be a noise that'll scare the everloving daylights out of me. However, if you look behind the tree in this picture...
WVW69kcJDucwoSDeFj

You can see one. I had my sound turned off, however. After talking to Marshal, I realized I didn't have my net on me, so there was no catching it.

Don't carry a net when you are running around town. Worst case scenario, it falls in a river and you lose a shot at 8000 bells.

I can definitely relate to this, for me it's with scorpions as well, and if I shake a beehive out of a tree I run across all my flowers to get to the nearest building.

I used to have a heart attack every time a bee hive fell out of a tree, but then I learnt how to catch them and now it's not so bad. Maybe part of the fear is they're big and black and they skitter around like the little creepy crawlies they are, but maybe it's also because it's a super rare bug I've never caught before. Maybe once I catch one I'll be okay...

It's not that im scared of them but when I do see one, my heartbeat gets all fast and I get excited bc I feel so much pressure to just catch it. Cuz I always miss, or it disappears just as im following it to catch it. :( I just reeeeally want to catch this bug to put it in my museum.

I really hate them, both in real life and in Animal Crossing. I'd definitely be happy if they took out tarantulas and scorpions in the next Animal Crossing game...

They don't scare me but it's kinda huge and scuttles so I do jump a little when I notice it bc you have pretty much no time to react before it starts chasing you haha. I don't like them irl but in the game they don't bother me, they just frustrate me when I can't catch them :mad:

Every time i see one it makes me jump cause they appear when i'm least expecting it

No, I make it my goal to try to catch every single one. Like get outta my town. Used to be scared but got too feed up. Now I gotta catch em all.

I've only seen a scorpion once in my game, but scorpions and tarantulas do freak me out! Mostly it was out of surprise I think, because I didn't even know they existed so it stung me (a slightly traumatizing experience for someone who's not too fond of scorpions). But maybe its the surprise that scares you? That or the fact that those are pretty much the most threatening thing in the cute and cuddly ACNL world.

Back