• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

My favourite things about ACGC are the really, really little things

Catsinabucket

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So I've had ACGC for about 9 years but admittedly I've only played it a handful of times in that time. I picked it up again recently and got more invested in it, since it's nice for a break from New Leaf and Wild World which is what I usually play.

What's helped me get more invested in it lately is that I've noticed how alive the villagers feel, not just in terms of dialogue, but also in terms of what they acknowledge or remember.

I had to do a chore for Alli and it was about returning a watch to Caesar (who had moved away), and Alli mentioned that "this would be so much easier if Caesar hadn't up and left". I was really surprised to see that I was given a chore regarding a previous resident that had moved to another town. (As a sidenote, I really love that the chores are items such as watches, Pok?mon Pikachus, Game Boys, books etc. Makes a nice change from "deliver X furniture/clothing")

That and when I went to the island, I spoke to Pigleg and he gave me a Melon Chair, saying "oh this Melon Chair that you gave me a while ago, I'm getting really bad vibes from it, so I'm returning it to you".

These are such tiny things but they really do a lot to make the game feel a lot more alive in my opinion :D

Yeah, I hope AC:Switch has these sort of features. I'd love that so much.

Yeah, the villagers were a lot more lively in my opinion. I also loved when you could kick a random basketball or soccer ball around town and I believe the villagers would join in too. ( Although I haven't played the game for many years so I could be wrong.) Oh, and the little calendar/journal was such a nice touch. I could go on and on about the aerobics festival and the ability to go in their houses when the villagers were gone. Ah, just thinking about all of it just fills me with nostalgia and it's hard for me to believe that it's been more than a decade since it was released. :) It had a lot of charm and I think that's what's missing from the later titles.

The villagers indeed were a lot more alive and interesting. Even normal villagers had moody moments. That game made me love characters (Aurora) and HATE characters (Queenie and Jane), and because of this game I still have those feelings about villagers, even though none of them are really HATEable personality wise in acnl. I wish they didn't have to water it down a bit.

Yeah, I can just imagine how amazing it would be if AC Switch brought back how lively the villagers were in addition to them doing other things in ACNL like gardening / fishing. I'm hoping the dialogue will also be more in variety—and I'm sure it will provided the developers aren't too lazy or restricted, but the Switch is a large system so who knows.

As much as I love New Leaf, and have played an embarrassingly over 1500 hours of, ACGC holds a very special place in my heart. It was not only my first AC to play when I was little, but my first game ever! It no doubt has the best villager dialogue and I hope they bring it back to the next AC. Theres so many little quirks about ACGC that I love.

Remember when you'd do a favour for a villager, you had to get an item back for them and they would tell you they passed it on to someone else, than that villager passed it on, etc, etc. And next thing you know you've run all around the town for a hankerchief! As annoying as it was when I played regularly, its an adorable quirk.

I love this game c:

Back