• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Worst Region and Worst Generation?

Worst Region/Worst Generation?

• Total voters
Kanto is my least favorite region, with Galar as a close second). I just didn’t find either region particularly interesting. It’s a shame too because Kanto and England in the real world have some great locales.

Gen 6 was a disappointment for me. X and Y were pathetically easy, had extremely limited character customization, and little to do in the postgame. The roster of new Pokémon was great though.

ORAS was a step in the right direction, but are still inferior to the original. Once again the difficulty was stripped down and the postgame was underwhelming. At least the writing was improved.

I chose Kanto because it has been done to death and unfortunately it does have a fairly boring map. I like the Viridian forest and Cerulean city but that's about it.

I also chose Gen 1, but for this I decided purely on gameplay. Obviously now it seems primitive and there isn't anything wrong with that, but it is the worst.

Wasn't a fan of Kalos, both for its region and most of its Pokemon. I know it was based off France, but parts of it felt very uninspired and I did not really like the OST. For the Pokemon, the Honedge line are one of the only Pokemon I actually like from that region. Starters were meh :/

I don't have a least-favorite Region to be honest. and my option for worst gen isn't on here, sooo
My least favorite generation has to be Gen 8. So far in Shield, I just am finding a repetitive mechanic with and the giga max mechanic. I find it a bit similar to mega evolution and z-moves, if you combined the two. It was great at first when Gen 6 came out, and then they changed it up a bit when Gen 7 came out (still felt a bit boring about z-moves with gen 7, but it was alright), but then I just felt that they were shoving in too many new mechanics to make the game easier. I miss the challenge.
And the story I just find a tiny bit boring. Also I feel that the new Pokemon lack in creativity. It's still a fun game, just definitely not my favorite.
also hop stole hau's entire personality and story line of wanting to be like someone in his family but that's another rant for a different day

I really didn't enjoy the Glaor region that much, like I still enjoy playing it from time to time but, it's the first Pokemon game I haven't beat yet. And it makes me sad since I was really looking forward to it. But I just don't like I was having a ton of fun as I did with the other games in the series. As for the worst generation? I would probably be gen 5. It just felt meh, the only thing I can remember most from it is the stuff with N and even that is kind of fuzzy. But I can at least look that they tried to at least improve it some with the second part to the region though it still wasn't as amazing.

Sinnoh will always be the worst region for me. Wow, I get to choose between TWO possible fire types, given they aren't traded over from HG/SS? Omg, amazing. And one of them is a starter?? Golly gee, doesn't get much better than that!
Sarcasm aside, the plot was boring, the characters were flat (literally), and Barry was just annoying.

Also, though, not a huge fan of Alola and Hau. Like many Pokémon players, we've been playing the games for years now and we don't appreciate the hand-holding (barriers, characters yelling out to you if you dared to try and explore the surrounding area, etc). I honestly suspect they made the games user-friendly for the people who started getting into the series from Pokémon GO.

I'm surprised with how many people are saying they hated gen 5... guess it's still the most underrated generation imo lol

worst region: sinnoh. what is memorable or distinct about sinnoh as a region? it's... muddy? :| the region is pretty circular and you find yourself running back and forth through hearthome city OFTEN. too damn often. it is the best city in the game thanks to the contest tent, pokemon park & the great music, but seriously... how many times did i run through that area
not a great selection of pokemon either in my opinion, most of the notable pokemon from sinnoh are added evolutions and pre-evolutions to already existing pokemon (mismagius, roserade, gallade, etc.) my most unpopular opinion is that i'm not a lucario stan & i only learned to appreciate him during G6 not G4 lol. i've always disliked G4 & it's the reason i took a break from pokémon

worst GEN: g7 g7 g7 g7 g7. wow. sun & moon... based purely on gameplay, these were the most handholding games i've ever played. i kept getting bored with how linear the gameplay was and stopped playing. the new trials > gym battles was a neat idea with execution that made the difficulty NONEXISTANT. did anyone in the world fail that marowak trial? no remake this gen so i could relive the days of better pokemon games. i was just stuck with hau, lillie, and the bitter disappointment that this game's story was better than average for a pokémon game, but i had to suffer through easily the worst gameplay in pokemon to date. idk if pokemon is prioritizing just 4y/os & the competitive community now by putting zero effort into the main game, but it's really souring me on the experience. i played pkmn black just to see if it was just me. & i was growing out of pokemon- that game was the only one i still hadn't played- and no, i loved it. pkmn black/white are just fun games & sun/moon are just not fun games. simple as that. still haven't bought swsh after the utter disappointment that was this game.

Worst region is Kanto purely because of how boring it is. It's the most generic region, obviously because it was the first one, and it's been done to death by Nintendo too. It's been featured in like 5 main series games now and there's nothing unique about it.

Worst generation is 7 for me. I just didn't like it that much. There weren't that many gen 7 pokemon I liked, a lot of the locations blended together for me too, all I can really remember from that gen is Vast Poni Canyon. I think in general I don't like tropical regions in Pokemon, since I'm not that into Hoenn either. The trial system got old quick and I definitely prefer the gym challenge. The story didn't impress me much either, I never got attached to Lillie or Hau, and the amount of cut scenes was just too much.

Funnily enough I used to dislike gen 6 and Kalos but I actually really appreciate it now. It has a limited number of new pokemon but I like a lot of them, the region itself is beautiful, it has memorable locations, it has my favourite soundtrack from a pokemon game, and while the story sucks, I don't really play pokemon for the story anyway.

Of the options, I picked Hoenn as the worst region and Gen 7 as the worst generation. If 8 was an option, I would have taken that.

I don't like how surf-heavy the entire eastern half of Hoenn is. Dive is slightly less terrible than Whirlpool in terms of 'water HMs you're forced to know for story progression' but Whirlpool was only needed in Blackthorn City where you could go to the move deleter right away. The one good thing about gen 7, despite me picking it, was the transition from HMs being moves to being things you could just activate in the overworld. And besides the water, Hoenn just felt super samey. Even the 3DS remake didn't do anything to make Hoenn actually feel special.

I really haven't liked any of the Pokemon games in the 3DS and now Switch eras. They rely too much on cheap gimmicks (Mega Evolution could have been good if they had given megas to more Pokemon that needed a little something extra rather than just giving OU or Uber Pokemon yet another even more powerful form) rather than on its robust battle system. I liked when Pokemon was about actual strategy rather than "well, choosing which Pokemon to sacrifice to my opponent's guaranteed OHKO super-nuke Z-move/D-max/G-max is sort of strategic"

For me, Hoenn is my least favourite.
I dunno, I never really liked the energy from this game, really didn't like it's layout or anything. I dunno just really feels off to me. I think the pokemon from there also felt off, in a way I can't really describe.

Years ago, I didn't like Unova, or Kalos but have started to fondly get into their worlds more. (really can't figure out how to do EVS/IVS in X/Y, maybe I'm slow) Oh and Aloha, despite playing it a lot, the story was way too easy, and I don't really enjoy being told what moves are super effective, really puts a damper on figuring it out and dislike there were no gyms, the other things were too easy.

Gen 4 is my most disliked generation, full stop. Giving it some credit, it brought us some really important things like making physical and special moves not based entirely on type... which, I always forget wasn't an innovation until then. Plus, it introduced the GTS. Also, tweaking is one of my favorite Pokemon glitches of all time. But Diamond and Pearl as games were just so blah that I can barely bring myself to remember any details about them, other than a vague disappointment overall. I disliked Pearl so much that I didn't even bother buying Platinum - it's still one of the only Pokemon games that I don't own. Heartgold/Soulsilver were AWESOME, but they don't really count, IMO. The HMs were just out of control, the legendary trio was lame, and Team Galactic is just pathetic. Plus, with a few exceptions, I find a lot of gen 4 Pokemon underwhelming, with WAY too many legendaries and event Pokemon. They also tarnished a lot of Pokemon from previous generations with evolutions that had designs that I don't like. Although, to be fair, some older Pokemon got great evolutions as well (like Yanmega, Mismagius, and Weavile).

As for my most disliked region, it is without a doubt Alola. Alola feels so fake to me... like it's not a real place, just some super safe mode Disneyland "it's a small world" version of a real region for kiddies to enjoy feeling like they're on a "real" Pokemon adventure, while their every move is being monitored by adults 24/7 to ensure that they never stray outside the "designated adventuring zones". Phew, what a sentence. The exception is Po Town, which just feels ridiculously out of place... but aside from certain NPCs, like Guzma and Nanu, all the residents of Alola seem incredibly condescending and fake, too.

As a fan of Pokémon since RBY (my first game was Blue), I have had the blessing of playing every game since inception. The worst gen and region belongs to Gen 1 and the Kanto region. Yes it was the first game that started it all but..they could have improved on the aesthetics in FRLG bit they chose not to...Gen 1 was known as the Glitch Gen because obviously it was full of them. I admit, even I used the Missingno Trick. It destroyed my games, but I was a wee lad so it didn't matter ot me at the time. I tried playing them again but I just couldn't stomach it. Having Dragonite with its best move as Wrap is just silly and seriously there were so many gameplay and balancing issues. Mewtwo was shoehorned as the strongest because of its typing alone. I refuse to get Lets Go games. Going through the Kanto region for the 5th freakin time would just nauseate me.

my least favourite is kanto/gen 1
sorry but the map and game overall just seem pretty basic to me
same with pokemon shield but i did kind of enjoy that one when i played it so eh

to be fair though my first pokemon games were pearl then black/black 2 so i guess i just had high expectations lol
i did enjoy all the other games i played like oras, soul silver, xy and moon/ultra moon
but both the oldest and newest games are just pretty bland imo

also did anyone else find the miltank gym leader on ss/hg easy or was that just me? i didn't find out that was the hardest gym til years after i played it (i could easily beat the miltank but not cynthia 😅)

For me Kanto has too much attention (and I'm not a fan of gen1 too). There are a lot of games with it and it gets boring. I hope that they'll come up with something else using other underrated regions in the future.

Sword and Shield, worst region no contest. It has so little to do. No secret paths or locations, and the wild area gets pretty bland after you've played in it for like 10 minutes.

My least favorite generation of Pokemon though is probabaly gen 4. I just don't care for the legendaries (except giratina) and the babies and evolutions of older pokemon are all pretty clunky, also I don't care for the fossil mons from gen 4. It's the weakest batch of pokemon imo.

Well, unfortunately I'd say compared to the others Kanto is very bland because there is no legendary story, but it was the first ever gen/region so it has a good excuse and I won't vote for it. Otherwise in my opinion out of that list Unova/gen 5 was my personal least favorite gen/region. I haven't played it since it was released, so not sure how it compares now, but I remember back then not liking it as much because the scenery was very dark and industrial. I also was going through a challenging time in my life so maybe thats why I remember black and white more negatively.

For me gen 8, I honestly believe this game was kinda meant for the 3ds for some reason. I really wanted to like it, but single player part of the game is totally lackluster to explore. I have a soft spot for the franchise so I have hope for future games lol

I'd say Kalos/Gen 6 easily. I've never been a fan of XY, since the region is subpar, the characters and story are abysmal compared to the rest of the series and I'm not really a fan of many of the new Pokemon introduced in that generation. They're games that so desperately needed a 3rd version to fix the problems of the original games, but they never got it so rip.

Gen 8 for sure, a damn shame too. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one really looking foward to a region based off of the UK, but as a map it’s pretty empty and much smaller than it seems.

As an overall game, they are the worst. The story is the most boring in my opinion, as the player never gets involved with the conflicts until the very end. The dex cut really limits player option for post-game and replayability. The new battle mechanics are by far the worst, dynamax is much too overpowered and the 20 minute timer ruins competitive.

Back