Pokémon Worst Region and Worst Generation?

Worst Region/Worst Generation?

• Total voters

moonford

moon boi
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Ruby
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
Leif
Region

The Kanto region is easily the least interesting region out of all the regions, I've played through Pok?mon Blue and I didn't find myself memorized once or entertained that much at all. The only thing that saves Kanto from sucking even harder would be the Pok?mon and the gyms. Kanto has one of the most solid Pok?mon gym league's ever, some of my favourite Pok?mon came from this region. (Lapras, Articuno, Magmar, Seel/Dewgong, Jynx, etcetera) People only really like this region because it was the first region ever and the people who have played it were most likely young, so they hadn't seen anything like it and now newer games can't compare even though they are improvements and the nostalgia blinds them from how terrible the graphics, gameplay, landscape of the region and the story was. These are also the people who are unwilling to give other generations/regions a chance because "Kanto is number 1" and claim that Pok?mon is running out of the ideas, which makes me laugh because they should look at the egg Pok?mon, the poke ball Pok?mon, the bird Pok?mon (Pidgey line) and the seal Pok?mon. (I love you Seel, but you aren't the most amazing design ever and your name is really unoriginal)

Regions ranked:

1. Sinnoh 9/10
2. Johto 8/10
3. Alola 7.5/10
4. Unova 6.5/10
5. Hoenn 5/10
6. Kalos 4/0
7. Kanto 2.5/10

Gen 5 was the worst gen not much else to say...

Last edited:
gen 1 and kanto. they're totally overrated simply cuz of being first

also gen 1 pokemon are boring af

I'm not a fan of how many times Kanto has got more attention than the other regions.

Gen 1 - 4 games: Red, Blue, Green and Yellow.
Gen 2 - You get to visit Kanto, it was originally going to be a sequel so this time it was okay.
Gen 3 - Remakes
Gen 4 - You get to visit Kanto again.
Gen 6 - Kanto starters got mega evolutions, Johto and the other starters didn't.
Gen 7 - Only Kanto Pok?mon got Alola forms.

A bit of tough question for me. I've never really thought of what the worst region was. I'm not sure I even have an answer. I think it's unfair to really call out Kanto, because it was when the series was beginning and the technology was very limited.

I want to say Alola because I don't like the tropical theme and I don't like Sun/Moon all of that much, but it was an okay region for what it was. So... I've got nothing on that front.

As for the worst generation (and I'm really not thinking remakes here)? For me it's in between Generation III and VII.

Generation III disappointed me so much by breaking the continuity of G/S/C and pretty much pressing the "reset" button, with the games not actually being sequels in the timeline. I also really disliked it how they removed the day/night cycle. I loved the feature in G/S/C. I loved how there were Pokemon that only came out at certain times of the day or night, and I really liked weekday features (can you see why I like Animal Crossing? lol). It all made me want to play the game more. When R/S/E released and there was none of that I was like "...What?". I still don't get it. Why remove features?

Generation VII may replace III, though. There are so many more feasible complaints with Sun/Moon. The inconsistent difficulty, the limited feeling (very little area for surfing even though it's a water region, only being able to fish in small spots), the SOS feature making battling and catching Pokemon endlessly frustrating (literally endlessly), the very poor post-game that features no way for rebattling trainers or proper training at all, excessive Generation I pandering (Alolan variations was such a neat idea, but was wasted on only being GI Pokemon), and last but not least - the removal of the National Pokedex.

I really may have to give this one to Generation VII. Even if they do some of these features better in Ultra Sun/Moon, I shouldn't have to purchase a second game for that.

I'm not a fan of how many times Kanto has got more attention than the other regions.

Gen 1 - 4 games: Red, Blue, Green and Yellow.
Gen 2 - You get to visit Kanto, it was originally going to be a sequel so this time it was okay.
Gen 3 - Remakes
Gen 4 - You get to visit Kanto again.
Gen 6 - Kanto starters got mega evolutions, Johto and the other starters didn't.
Gen 7 - Only Kanto Pok?mon got Alola forms.

Generally I want to be agree, but lets be fair here... Only Generation VI and VII saw unfair catering to Generation I (Generation VII being by far the worst), IMO.

Including Kanto in Generation II was really neat back then. Didn't really feel like pandering, like it does nowadays, mostly because Kanto was the only Pokemon region before Generation II and G/S/C were direct sequels.

The remakes in Generation III don't really seem like pandering to me, either. As you can see, remakes expanded well beyond Generation I. Plus, the games needed a remake. They're so horribly dated, and they made Leaf (or Green, I don't know what she was originally called) the female protagonist. Now if only they'd let me face her instead of Red in games like HG/SS and Sun/Moon.

Visiting Kanto in Generation IV was only because Gold/Silver got a remake. It's not unfair pandering, it's just fairly representing the originals (which I'll say HG/SS didn't always do, but that's another story...).

Last edited:

The point was that Kanto has gotten something over every other region in every generation excluding gen 5, no matter how fair or unfair it is, it's still boring after a while and the special treatment is meh at this point. Gen 1, 2 and 4 are the only times it was fair, imo.

I honestly would've preferred if they waited for a few more years to build more excitement for any remakes of the original, catering to the original games in almost every generation has added to how boring Gen 1 was and it gives off the impression that Game Freak shares that opinion, it also comes across as blatant favouritism. I think remakes would have been amazing by the time Gen 5 or Gen 6 had came out to really see the difference in that amount of time. The games being outdated is a valid argument though, it makes sense for them to be remade for the first time colour was available.

--

I'm curious, you picked Gen III and Gen VII as your least favourite regions/generations, both of which are tropical based and water based regions. Why do you dislike tropical settings? :)

The reason why I don't dislike Generation VII as much as I expected was because I knew they were going to have sequels when I first discovered there was construction being made for gyms in the game, the lack of other regional Pok?mon Alolan forms, fossil Pok?mon, restrictions in the game, Lillie, Lusamine, Gladion and Mohn had a lot of unfinished plot and I suspect they would have major roles in the US & UM. I think it's a good game when it is intentionally missing many things that will be in the next games.

Last edited:
Worst region: easily Hoenn for me. Didn't like Unova in the first game but the sequel added the charm that was missing.
Worst Gen: 7 was annoying to play because of constantly being interrupted by story sequences plus I hated 95% of the NPC's because I found them annoying lol

Didn't read the OP cause that font is atrocious but anyway I love Johto and Kanto they're so nice. Sinnoh is a third fav, then Unova, and Kalos is easily the worst oh my God X/Y was forgettable.

The point was that Kanto has gotten something over every other region in every generation excluding gen 5, no matter how fair or unfair it is, it's still boring after a while and the special treatment is meh at this point. Gen 1, 2 and 4 are the only times it was fair, imo.

I honestly would've preferred if they waited for a few more years to build more excitement for any remakes of the original, catering to the original games in almost every generation has added to how boring Gen 1 was and it gives off the impression that Game Freak shares that opinion, it also comes across as blatant favouritism. I think remakes would have been amazing by the time Gen 5 or Gen 6 had came out to really see the difference in that amount of time. The games being outdated is a valid argument though, it makes sense for them to be remade for the first time colour was available.

I guess I just can't see how it being remade in Generation III was a problem.

I just find all of the arguments of Kanto bias pre-Generation VI to be pretty silly. Nowadays they've gone so overboard and it's not for any of the reasons that we saw pre-Generation VI, it's all straight up pandering to genwunners for no reason.

I'm curious, you picked Gen III and Gen VII as your least favourite regions/generations, both of which are tropical based and water based regions. Why do you dislike tropical settings? :)

Well, I *did* say that my reasoning for them being my least favorite generations was separate from my dislike of the tropical theme. Notice, I didn't even mention Hoenn itself as a least favorite region.

It's true, I'm not a fan of the tropical theme. I was okay with it for Hoenn, but with Alola, not so much... I just feel like tropical regions are overdone in media and everything.

I'm a cold-weather, Northern region loving person, so it's probably only natural that happens. I just think it's worse in Pokemon because the first time we ever actually saw snow was in Generation IV. So another tropical region was just so "meh". It'd be much cooler to see a Greenland/Iceland region. That's a setting that is less appreciated/explored but also very beautiful.

I'm a cold-weather, Northern region loving person, so it's probably only natural that happens. I just think it's worse in Pokemon because the first time we ever actually saw snow was in Generation IV. So another tropical region was just so "meh". It'd be much cooler to see a Greenland/Iceland region. That's a setting that is less appreciated/explored but also very beautiful.

I feel the same way, Greenland or Iceland would be neat choices for future games but I think I would prefer a Scandinavian region if they were to do a cold-weather region. It's been a thing I've wanted in the games for so long and the closest thing I've got to that would be Kalos and Sinnoh, I love the scenery in each of those regions.

Last edited:
Everyone's gonna shoot down 5 gen/Unova :| ice Cream + garbage pokemon hurrr

Anyways there isn't a region/genration I hate but in terms of least favorite, it's either generation 1 or generation 6. I really lkke X/Y and to be honest they have the best mascots, but the characters and gym leaders weren't memorable. In fact a lot of them were quite annoying, except Lysandre ofc. Team Flare was dumb too..... again except Lysandre lol. Also, the New Pokemon line up were okay but it really wasn't much compared to the past 2 generations before it. Even legendaries were a bit lacking. Volcanion is the dumbest and most uninteresting event pokemon yet.

Of course we started with generation 1. I loved Red and Blue! However, I never actually had my own Red and Blue. I started with Pokemon Silver, so it's hard for me to feel nostalgia from Red and Blue compared to Pokemon Silver. It's also a bit plain after we have been through so much from the later games. Legendary birds are practically forgotten after this point.

All of Gen 1, very bland with nothing really original sticking out. There were some good pokemon, but not as many as others. Heck, most of the better-looking pokemon got greatly improved with evolutions coming in gens 2 and 4

I got a bit disappointed with Sun/moon only bc they didn't have the elemental monkeys, but according to bulbapedia, they somehow are able to learn pledge moves starting from gen7? How come Nintendo never told us that in the announcement???

I have to agree with some of ya'll, Kanto really isn't the best generation. The gameplay is lacking and boy did Lavender town scared the pan outta me. I think the newer gens are better, but the older gens are more memorable. Most of my favorite pokemon are from the newer gens compared to the older ones. I played the gen3 games a lot back in my days so I'm not going to say that it's the worst gen for me because I loved playing it as a kid, even today. But ORAS, by removing the battle frontier with the boring battle mansion, made me stumped a little.

Gen7 may not have the national dex, but it's remake might, just like what happened to BW2. Incineroar become one of my most favorite pokemon and I actually substituted it for pansear just because I couldn't catch one in the game, and for once, I actually cared for the NPCs. Didn't really mind the story arc and scenes. I personally enjoyed gen7 and Alola.

XY was boring, although it did have pansear which kind of saved me. But it isn't enough for me to enjoy the rest of the game. It did have pokemon amie and customization(which I think are one of the best side functions for the pokemon games), but the story isn't quite flattering to me. I have to admit, I did cry at the end of Looker's story arc, but only because Looker is one of my most favorite characters of the pokemon games who appears now and then starting from good ol' Sinnoh. I was so glad when he came back to Sun/moon and his theme fits my motto lol.

Gen5 is my most favorite gen, not mainly because it has my most favorite pokemon, but because I found the story very interesting! N is one of my most favorite characters of the pokemon series. This gen is my third most memorable gen because I met so many good artists that inspired me that are associated with this gen such as SandwichandCereal, Kynim, and so on... It also got me back to the pokemon bandwagon. Majority of the pokemon from gen5 are my favorites out of all gens so far.

Gen4 is like- wow. Not my most favorite gen, but it is definitely my second most favorite. I love the soundtrack and the pokemon contests! It is my second most memorable generation. The only problem for me is platinum's girantina hell. I didn't manage to make it out because everything is so confusing!

Didn't have any gameplay with gen2 sadly...

Last edited:
Kalos region is easily my favorite and I loved the new Pok?mon from it. I loved exploring that region. It was beautiful, had the best post game continuation content and the best breeding situation besides Sapphire/Ruby.

Unova had some really good Pokemon but I hated traversing the region. The graphics and camera angles were terrible. I also hated the pokemon you could catch early on in the game like Munna, Lillipup and the purple cat one. I don't even remember it's name lawl
It also just felt like a beta test of XY. Poorly made.

Johto comes in second best for me. Specifically Soulsilver. Longest, hardest and most rewarding gameplay experience

Sinnoh had the best Safari Zone.

Worst: Gen 7, and Alola due to all the island hopping and you hardly remember all the weird names of the places you go to.

And the overly diverse Pokedex... come on ffs.

I am between Sinnoh and Unova for worst region because I really don't remember much about them. Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn are my favorites because they have cooler Pok?mon and fun bad guys like Team Rocket and Team Magma. I don't really like the newer games as much. The only cool part in some of the newer ones is that you can change your trainer's outfit. Sun and Moon are way too easy. I wish you could turn off the feature that tells you what moves are super effective. I prefer to guess if I don't know and possibly have a chance of losing a battle.

Sinnoh and Generation 4 nearly killed my remaining interest in Pokemon. I wasn't a fan of all the HMs, I can't recall most of the towns, can't recall most of the Pokemon, and generally I just found them to be a mediorce game. I loved HeartGold and SoulSilver, that's really the only thing I'm thankful about from Gen 4.

Gen 5 renewed my interest, Gen 6 was just disappointing and Gen 7 took a while for me to actually get into for some reason. I just hope that whatever game they have for Switch really brings their A-Game because 3D wise I feel like we're just getting shorted.

Alola.

Its only relevant cause it had trials instead of gyms, which were ridiculously easy and forgettable imo.

Anyone who says unova is the worst i wrong.

Kalos region is easily my favorite and I loved the new Pok?mon from it. I loved exploring that region. It was beautiful, had the best post game continuation content and the best breeding situation besides Sapphire/Ruby.

Unova had some really good Pokemon but I hated traversing the region. The graphics and camera angles were terrible. I also hated the pokemon you could catch early on in the game like Munna, Lillipup and the purple cat one. I don't even remember it's name lawl
It also just felt like a beta test of XY. Poorly made.

Johto comes in second best for me. Specifically Soulsilver. Longest, hardest and most rewarding gameplay experience

Sinnoh had the best Safari Zone.

Wrong thread, this is about least favourite regions and generations. :)

X&Y is probably my least favorite region. I liked the first stage starters enough but there evolutions were just .....ehh.
The beginning gyms were so far away from each other that my pokemon were over leveled, even with the Exp, Share off (plus Kanto starters, why so early? Why them?). Also didn't like the story, especially because we got such cool legendary pokemon.
Only redeeming factor was the trainer customization it bought into it and some of the pokemon.

I totally agree that Kanto has a boring map and not much to explore, but the pokemon and story were better. Plus the play through was more difficult and challenging.
...Also Articuno is gen 1, so it can't be the worst region

Last edited:
Kalos and gen 6 are the worst for me. They're the most forgettable tbh and the least interesting. The games ans region felt rushed to me and I didn't give a crap about any of the characters in the game due to their lack of development. Barely any new Pokemon either. Just a disappointment all around. Sold the game as soon as I beat it and haven't missed it yet. I honestly keep forgetting the game and region exists lmao.

Back