• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Moving villagers where you want (No plot resetting)

milesupshur

Walrider
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Before I start, there has been a guide already made regarding this topic. While the guide itself is pretty good at explaining the basics, it does not include all information.
THIS METHOD SAVES YOU MORE TIME THAN PLOT RESETTING

The Welcome to Amiibo update added many new things, but the updated also included that villagers no longer move onto paths. And due to this, will NOT at all move onto paths*, so this is how to move your villagers in to locations you want.

*With no available spaces, villagers will move where ever. It also includes that when moving villagers in from the amiibo cards, I will further explain this.

So, with that said, let us begin!

VILLAGER REQUIREMENTS
Much like how PWPs work or mayor/character houses work, you MUST have a certain amount of space to allow a villager to move into, otherwise, villagers will may/may not move into that space.

So, what are those requirements?
- A 3x3 space
- A 5x5 space surrounding the house

That is all that is 'required' for each villager house by itself.
So, each villager house looks like this.

GUIDE:
[X] = space around house
[H] = house space
[D] = villager door space
XXXXX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XXDXX
XXXXX
In game, it would look like this.

adsadsad.jpg

OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- All spaces surronding said 5x5/3x3 area MUST be covered in paths in other to make the villager move into that area
YOU MUST COVER ANY 3x3 SPACES, VILLAGERS WILL MOVE INTO THOSE SPACES REGARDLESS.
TIP: Placing paths in diagonals make it easier, also making the paths grass based also helps with aesthetics.

AMIIBO CARDS
I must explain, since using Amiibo cards and the paths, I realized that it's much ore difficult to have them move into locations I want them to be.

Amiibo villagers (with 10 villagers) will move into random locations. They are very difficult to move in, with each villager, they will move into either
A) A space you've made, depending on how many spaces you've made avaiable
B) A random location due to the NPC seeing that there are no open spaces for them to move in due to paths*
C) The location of the villager you wanted to move out
*The NPC is quite a struggle, as they view open spaces you've made as blocked by paths, and due to that will move randomly

Amiibo cards require a lot of trial and error, and if you do not do TT, I highly suggest you do not use Amiibo cards with this trick.

PWPS
Not much to be said about PWPs, they work the same as houses and depending on size, you can move villagers pretty close to PWPs (Requires at least two spaces in between), and you can also use them to avoid having villagers move into 3x3 spaces.

VILLAGER HOUSING ARRANGEMENTS
The whole point of this guide is to have villagers move in where you want them to, and by that, you can create really nice and even places for your villagers to move in!

So, let's take our house,
XXXXX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XXDXX
XXXXX
Now, let's say we wanted our villagers to move into a row of four, so... taking that house, we'll just add three more!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XHHHXXHHHXXHHHXXHHHX
XHHHXXHHHXXHHHXXHHHX
XHHHXXHHHXXHHHXXHHHX
XXDXXXXDXXXXDXXXXDXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
As you can see above, there are exactly TWO spaces in between each house, and that is because, as each house on it's own is 3x3, it needs at least ONE space surrounding the 3x3 space.

Here's an in game example!
HNI_0040_waifu2x_art_noise3_scale_tta_1.jpg

The same could be down with the houses being moved in vertically.
XXXXX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XXDXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XXDXX
XXXXX
Rather than two spaces horizontally, it's just vertical!

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions/concerns, please don't be afraid to notify me!
I'll be happy to help.

I'll update this guide if any new information may come forth!

Thanks for making this! Very informative with the pictures. :)
Say, would this be an eligible space for a plot?

DEkZ4dIUQAAT_EW.jpg

There's a 3x3 + door space (not patterned), and horizontally, if you add the patterns, there's a 5x5, but vertically there's only a 4x4 excluding the path, would it still be ok? The path behind (bricks) would count as the 5th tile for the space of the house?

Thanks! :)

Everyone moved where I wanted them to be...except O'hare. Cheeky little fella.

View attachment 203438

There's a 3x3 + door space (not patterned), and horizontally, if you add the patterns, there's a 5x5, but vertically there's only a 4x4 excluding the path, would it still be ok? The path behind (bricks) would count as the 5th tile for the space of the house?

Thanks! :)

Sadly I don't think that will work as it too close the cliff! It will need to be one space back from the cliff in order to make a villager move there

So basically,
XXXXX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XXDXX
XXXXX
CCCCC

View attachment 203438

Sadly I don't think that will work as it too close the cliff! It will need to be one space back from the cliff in order to make a villager move there

So basically,
XXXXX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XHHHX
XXDXX
XXXXX
CCCCC

I agree. You need to have at least two spots in front of the door if the house is near a cliff or a river :)

GF3d3Ws.png

I'm a bit confused by you saying 5x5 space around the house, but showing a 5x6 (5 across and 6 down) space. I'm guessing that when you say 5x5, you're not included the row below the door, but I think it actually is required?

I'm a bit confused by you saying 5x5 space around the house, but showing a 5x6 (5 across and 6 down) space. I'm guessing that when you say 5x5, you're not included the row below the door, but I think it actually is required?

actually, you don't need to leave that one square below the door open (if that's what you're asking hehe)

I use this method to get my villagers all nicely lined up; however, I've found that now I have ugly tiles all over my town. I'm slowly deleting them as I populate my town with more PWPs, but I'll have to come up with a way to use QR codes to blend with the "natural" feel of my town.

I use this method to get my villagers all nicely lined up; however, I've found that now I have ugly tiles all over my town. I'm slowly deleting them as I populate my town with more PWPs, but I'll have to come up with a way to use QR codes to blend with the "natural" feel of my town.
All the more motivation to get your dreamies in quicker, right? :p It's possible to make grass tiles that blend really well with the natural grass, but patterns don't really blend in exactly either due to the time of day or just not having the colors available to work with. Patterns that blend in well during the morning usually stick out like a sore thumb at night.

They DO move onto paths. I had half my town free, and they moved onto patterns. I had plenty of space. They will move where they want. The only way to get them exactly where you want is to plot reset.

Well with only half your town covered, and the other not. I can see why the moved onto them.

Well with only half your town covered, and the other not. I can see why the moved onto them.

Half the town was FREE of patterns. With that much space, it's absurd that they did move where people seem to be mislead into thinking they can't. :-/

Half the town was FREE of patterns. With that much space, it's absurd that they did move where people seem to be mislead into thinking they can't. :-/
It's not entirely misleading. Placing patterns down has worked for so many people. And in the cases where it didn't, it was easy to figure out why.

The spot chosen wasn't viable. Person covered all of their town but left flower/tree 3x3 spot uncovered. Or villager moved into a spot the person didn't think one could.

I think in your case, the villager wasn't given a set spot to move into. So they moved where they wanted. Correct me if that's wrong.

Yep. It's wrong. There were free spots that were previously occupied. I left no 3x3's.
I ended up getting rid of everyone and plot resetting scanned villagers. Then got rid of the patterns to let the grass show. (Finally).
I'm not a fan of patterns.

Hmm must've been a real stubborn villager, if it wouldn't move in those spots.

I don't like the patterns either but I don't want to plot reset. So far with my town completely covered, five/ten dream villagers have moved in. All have moved into their designated spots.

Back