• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I'm worried about the 3DS soon going the way of the Game Boy

Well, my little brother got a 2ds for Christmas and got some games that are new like Yo Kai Watch, Beyblade Bust etc. My other brother got a switch and he never played his ds at all, just with my other brother on the switch. Even if it does get old, we still have some great games for it.

Miitopia is relatively new, maybe they will continue making games based around Tomodachi Life (probably not) .

I only bought my 3DS last February.
It may have 'had a good run' to some of you, but it's only had an 11 month run with me. :-/

But that's not Nintendo's fault. The system has been out since 2011.

I would only buy a Switch for one game, and that is Animal Crossing.
Until then, I'll happily continue on with NL.

Then it sounds like you should be happy to own your 3DS and not really care if Nintendo stops releasing titles for it. They're not going to release another Animal Crossing on it, I guarantee you that.

But that's not Nintendo's fault. The system has been out since 2011.

Then it sounds like you should be happy to own your 3DS and not really care if Nintendo stops releasing titles for it. They're not going to release another Animal Crossing on it, I guarantee you that.

It's not my fault either. o_O
I wasn't aware the consumer had to get into statistics and know the entire history of a console before purchasing it, then just accept the system will be obsolete in a year or so.

This thread is still going? LOL

Anyways. I was worried about it but not so much anymore. Like people said on here, systems come and go. 3DS had a great run and it's still having a great run, but it's time for newer consoles to have the limelight.

I still think games are going to be made for it on the low. The 3DS is still selling software in japan and the states. I'd say, i'll give them until late 2019, or even 2020 for Nintendo to completely phase out the 3DS.

It's not my fault either. o_O
I wasn't aware the consumer had to get into statistics and know the entire history of a console before purchasing it, then just accept the system will be obsolete in a year or so.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Sure, the new games might be fewer and further between from now on for that platform. But hey, at least you could still easily find most of the popular retail 3DS games out now, some of which being sold for significantly less than their initial MSRP price.

It's worth knowing that an average life cycle of a console typically last anywhere between 5 and 7 years (sometimes longer, depending on the console's success) before it'll be discontinued.
Once that happens, pretty much no new retail games will be released and the products related to the discontinued console won't be produced anymore. From that point on, products for the console will become increasingly harder to locate and will be relegated to second-hand market for generally cheaper than the full-price.
That being said, you could still purchase games from eShop, benefit from online play and get the hardware repaired by Nintendo Customer Service or possibly even a third party service. Though, these services won't stay indefinitely.

There's never a wrong time to purchase any video game console, regardless on how ancient they might be. Though, you might need to research if you'd like to acquire any console and its products past their life cycle.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Sure, the new games might be fewer and further between from now on for that platform. But hey, at least you could still easily find most of the popular retail 3DS games out now, some of which being sold for significantly less than their initial MSRP price.

It's worth knowing that an average life cycle of a console typically last anywhere between 5 and 7 years (sometimes longer, depending on the console's success) before it'll be discontinued.
Once that happens, pretty much no new retail games will be released and the products related to the discontinued console won't be produced anymore. From that point on, products for the console will become increasingly harder to locate and will be relegated to second-hand market for generally cheaper than the full-price.
That being said, you could still purchase games from eShop, benefit from online play and get the hardware repaired by Nintendo Customer Service or possibly even a third party service. Though, these services won't stay indefinitely.

There's never a wrong time to purchase any video game console, regardless on how ancient they might be. Though, you might need to research if you'd like to acquire any console and its products past their life cycle.

Not in Australia.
Even the old DS games are $59.95. :-/

I'm ok with the one game.
It's time consuming, but a new AC game on a bigger screen would be fantastic!

Don't we have the New 2DS now? I thought it's going to take the reins since I believe the system is a lil' bit more powerful

Don't we have the New 2DS now? I thought it's going to take the reins since I believe the system is a lil' bit more powerful
The new _ds-es are just upgraded 3ds-es and aren't the next handheld, which means they're just gonna fall outta style with the original 3ds-es

And I really don't get the hate on the switch because "oh no a really successful yet 7 years weak handheld Is losing support? Grr them companies and their greed! " The 3ds is old. It can't play ( Edit. Run* any ) any current games and has a 240 P screen, so why do we want it till the end of time?

Last edited:
The new _ds-es are just upgraded 3ds-es and aren't the next handheld, which means they're just gonna fall outta style with the original 3ds-es

And I really don't get the hate on the switch because "oh no a really successful yet 7 years weak handheld Is losing support? Grr them companies and their greed! " The 3ds is old. It can't play ( Edit. Run* any ) any current games and has a 240 P screen, so why do we want it till the end of time?

Because it's fantastic for those who don't have the means to buy a Switch, and have no interest in any current Switch games. :-|

Despite the 3DS receiving lesser and lesser support in the recent years, the president of Nintendo recently told us in an interview that the company is intent on maintaining the ageing hardware through 2018. I'm still uncertain on how they'll keep that boat afloat, but I can tell for sure that the hardware will remain incredibly easy to find in stores.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/kimis...ep-tracking-device-still-in-development-more/

Because it's fantastic for those who don't have the means to buy a Switch, and have no interest in any current Switch games. :-|

Well if the games on the Switch aren't interesting to you, then what exactly is the problem? If the Switch wasn't there, they'd still be releasing games that aren't interesting to you, think of it that way. And the Switch not having anything exciting means that it doesn't even have to be on your radar for now.

The 3DS is a great console full to the brim of games. There are still a few I'd like to get around to trying/playing someday, and I've had my 3DS since a couple of months after the system was first released.

I understand you are frustrated with 3DS happening to reach the end of its lifetime when you came across it, but that's just the way it works. The 3DS has been out since 2011, and as I said, it is not lacking in the games department. The 3DS has not been snubbed, your frustrations are merely the product of the circumstances you came into the system with.

It hasn't reached an end. :-/

I'm not frustrated about anything.
I'm just sick of people trying to shove the Switch down my throat. And until they make an AC game for it, I will be sticking to my 3ds.

It's just upgrading to a bigger dust magnet.

Last edited:
They just confirmed the 3ds will be supported through 2018.

Personally, I'm ok with this. The 3ds has had an incredible run for nearly 7 years now, and it's clear that Nintendo is winding it down in favor of the switch, but still giving it some support until then. If there are no games on the Switch that interest you now, then perhaps there will be in the future. Or, conversely, you can dig back in the 3ds's extensive library and find some gems you haven't played yet. I've had a 3ds system for about 4 years now and still have oodles of good games to get to. I highly doubt you've played every single amazing game out there for the system.

Well, I'm happy that 3DS support will be available throughout 2018.

Yeah, this. Plus it's terribly overpriced where I live so yeah unless i get a really well-paid job anytime soon nope. I mean sure if they make a fantabulous AC game sometime in the future when prices are lower, sure I'll consider. Also their dumb pay-for-online stuff, no.

Also yeah 3ds might be, but what does that matter really here?

- - - Post Merge - - -

It hasn't reached an end. :-/

I'm not frustrated about anything.
I'm just sick of people trying to shove the Switch down my throat. And until they make an AC game for it, I will be sticking to my 3ds.

It's just upgrading to a bigger dust magnet.

Yeah, kinda amused they did "another" hybrid here as well. Well as long as they don't shut down the 3ds wi-fi I'll shut it I guess.

Back