I'm worried about the 3DS soon going the way of the Game Boy

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I mean, with the Switch being out, how much longer will they continue to make games for the 3DS?

Edit: Well I wouldn't say I'm worried persay, just a bit concerned, I mean 200 system that you can't buy games for anymore. Or new games at least.

Last edited:
I don't think we have to worry about that for a long time but it is a scary thought.

Well since they have releases up til the end of this year I wouldn't worry for now, but I can see them start ditching it maybe next year with the new Switch Pok?mon game coming up, and most focus seem to be on Switch as well now.

On the other hand they supported the DS Wi-fi up til a few years after 3ds was released so maybe they'll just let that be on and not release so many games

Last edited:
Well the 3DS has been out since February 2011, so I feel like it's had a pretty good run. I'm not worried at all about them ceasing production of 3DS games since there's already so many, and since Nintendo Network is still relatively new I doubt they'll be ridding it anytime soon.

I feel like it'll hold on for a while, due to how successful it was (and is). But, eventually, I feel like the Switch will end up taking over the handheld side of things as well. It is a bit sad, as Nintendo had used handhelds alongside home consoles since the SNES and the Gameboy. But, as bittersweet as it is, the Switch can cover both.

I didn't think about wifi going down for it. That would suck since there are already lots of people still using it. I'd hope they wouldn't cancel it yet, since the switch is still pretty new. Id think they'd wait a bit to see if the switch will do well before cutting ties with the 3DS. There are titled coming out for it this year so we have another year at least.

Yeah, it's bound to happen. Out with the old, in with the new kind of deal. Eh, yeah, it's kind of worrisome but there are plenty of games for the 3DS so it's not a total waste. I'll be a bit bummed that after Ultra S/M i won't be able to play the newest Pokemon games, because I'm a fan of those, but not enough to spend 300 dollars on a system just to play it.

Yeah, it's bound to happen. Out with the old, in with the new kind of deal. Eh, yeah, it's kind of worrisome but there are plenty of games for the 3DS so it's not a total waste. I'll be a bit bummed that after Ultra S/M i won't be able to play the newest Pokemon games, because I'm a fan of those, but not enough to spend 300 dollars on a system just to play it.

Yeah, and since Switch you can carry around even though it's a bit larger, more like an iPad or stuff it will probably take over someday. I don't think it will break yet though unless they come up with a line of really successful games, or the price drops significantly. I don't think a lot of people want to spend over $300 on a random hybrid when most games now are remakes/ports, except for ARMS maybe and some games you can play better and earlier parts on other consoles.

What's a port game? Sorry, I usually only play games on handheld or PC, rarely on consoles.

You guys did make me feel better in this thread. Thank you. Yeah, I'm a worrywart even over things I have no control ever, like this. I need to relax. -_-

Yeah, it's extremely aggravating. I wish they'd quit coming out with new systems unless there's a significant improvement from the older systems. I can't keep up anymore.

I'm not even gonna bother with the Nintendo Switch. I wish Nintendo would just come out with MORE games for consoles that ALREADY EXIST. Much easier that way. I'm really bad with technology, so if I already know how to use the dang thing, then I'm much more likely to buy a game for it.

I don't even bother trying to keep up with the latest trends anymore. What's the point when in like 3 years from now, something even newer will come out?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, it's extremely aggravating. I wish they'd quit coming out with new systems unless there's a significant improvement from the older systems. I can't keep up anymore.

I'm not even gonna bother with the Nintendo Switch. I wish Nintendo would just come out with MORE games for consoles that ALREADY EXIST. Much easier that way. I'm really bad with technology, so if I already know how to use the dang thing, then I'm much more likely to buy a game for it.

Wishful thinking. I wish that too but unfortunately, money. That's all it's about, money. As long as people buy them, expensive or not, they are going to continue making new systems, ridiculously priced, and ditching the old systems, regardless of whether the older systems have a loyal fanbase or not. Because it all about money: it always has been and it will always will be.

EXACTLY! Not only that, but they're totally trying to take your money by having their systems only accommodate certain games but not others.

For example, the DS couldn't play those big, square-shaped gameboy game cartridges, but it could play the small ones. Then, the 3DS could play DS games, but not ANY gameboy game cartridges.

My best guess is that the next Nintendo handheld system will be able to play 3DS games, but not regular DS games.

This is the exact same thing that happened between the GameCube, Wii, and Wii U.

I don't know a thing about the Switch, though. :/

Last edited:

Yeah man... Wii U kind flopped because it was basically a screen you could carry around but you still needed the whole console thing anyways, and I don't think any of the games for it was appealing to me as a whole to even bother getting one. I tried out the Smash and MK games for U... nope nope nope. I wonder why they basically just took the Wii U screen and put those controls on the side.. New? Don't think so. And since they just made some random ports to start with it's not really appealing.

And if they want to continue that family-friendly appeal, Switch is the wrong way to go, to be honest. The price and lack of fun mini-games (like the Sports ones that came with the old Wii console) is probably not a good thing if you want to target both parents and children. And the fact that they hardly did new games now, except for ARMS, show they are lacking.. something.

Sure they have to keep up being new and trendy to follow the other companies, but really since 3ds have been find for the last six years and counting why do a Switch now if U was such a fail? It's probably gonna last longer and better than U but it's fun how they release that know yet something breathes air to the 3ds if they wanna be so new and hip to appeal.

Yeah, I head that the Switch is not family friendly because it breaks easily. Yeah, that's not good for kids.

Yeah, I head that the Switch is not family friendly because it breaks easily. Yeah, that's not good for kids.

Yeah and it's not good for any kid to have those screens close to their eyes for such long time.. That kinda goes for the 3ds as well but at least you can shut off the 3ds and it doesn't break as much unless you intentionally drop it from above. And I don't think those Joycon things are that easy for them to handle anyways if they are really small.

Plus it has a more diverse library even though it's region locked, the 3ds. Plus it's cheaper and, well it has more appealing titles, imo.

Yeah and it's not good for any kid to have those screens close to their eyes for such long time.. That kinda goes for the 3ds as well but at least you can shut off the 3ds and it doesn't break as much unless you intentionally drop it from above. And I don't think those Joycon things are that easy for them to handle anyways if they are really small.

Plus it has a more diverse library even though it's region locked, the 3ds. Plus it's cheaper and, well it has more appealing titles, imo.

That's true, the 3DS is pretty durable.
I'm not really much of a console gamer myself. I'm a PC and handheld gamer. If I do buy a console it will likely be an xBox. I prefer PC games though like Sims and Rollercoaster Tycoon. With PC games, the only thing you'd have to buy is upgraded RAM or Graphic Card to play newer games, you won't have to upgrade to entirely new system just to play a few games.

it has to happen eventually, as new gens of consoles will always come and go. however i think that the 3ds still has a few good years left of main title games. it still has two clear advantages over the switch, in terms of being a handheld console: easy portability (i've never held a switch myself but they really do seem too big and fragile to truly be portable handhelds) and price. the switch is just too expensive right now whereas the 3ds is affordable for a great value, which means that more people will continue to buy the 3ds as long as the value matches the price (i.e. the original ds is super cheap now, but people aren't buying it anymore because the value isn't there). i think we've got the 3ds for a few good years to come.

Considering that the Switch in handheld drains the battery like crazy, I don't see it taking over for Nintendo's handheld side. The 3DS can get around seven to eight hours of battery life (at least mine), and the Switch can't come close to that.

Eventually the system will become obsolete, but that day is not today.

Back