• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Favorite produce item? And do you prefer organic or non organic?

helenkeller

fecal sewage ♥
Bells
What is your favorite item from the produce section of the store?:D

I just started working in produce and I love my job. I love being around fruit and veggies all day getting people to eat healthy. (it got me eating healthy again as well)

I also teach a lot to people about GMOs which is kinda scary tbh, most people don't know what they are.

This french girl asked about avocados, and I had to tell her what GMOs were (i am pretty sure france has them banned, maybe not idk) and helped her pick one (poor thing was grabbing all the hard ones)

My current fave is avocados (organic) and any yummy fruits I can get my hands on!
I am gonna try a starfruit if they are in stock thursday when I get paid!

- - - Post Merge - - -

that sounds nice!

of course, i prefer organic... i didnt know there were people out there who don't o.o

my fav item has to be plums or nectarines i looove pitted fruits so much aahhhh i wish they were in season all year round here. lol

I just stocked a bunch of nectarines, as they were the spotlight item today! this woman walked up to me, and she said she didn't want organic asparagus, and that she WASN'T going to buy it if it was... lol it was not though so she was in luck i guess!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd buy organic produce if they weren't so expensive. I usually try my best to have half of my grocery list being from the produce section.

I'm really happy you're liking your job thus far!

Thanks! I enjoy it a lot!

I don't lose sleep over not eating something organic, but sometimes, they do not have everything in the organic section.
Even if it is GMO, at least a lot of the stuff is local.

- - - Post Merge - - -

why are the replies in my post? weird

that sounds nice!

of course, i prefer organic... i didnt know there were people out there who don't o.o

my fav item has to be plums or nectarines i looove pitted fruits so much aahhhh i wish they were in season all year round here. lol

I'd buy organic produce if they weren't so expensive. I usually try my best to have half of my grocery list being from the produce section.

ignore this tbt lagged & double posted

Last edited:

Something I get almost every trip to the store is avocados (as I am Californian) and cilantro! Nothing beats fresh cilantro! I'm not a stickler for organic vs normal produce, I don't have a problem with it, everything I eat is already full of chemicals so at this point I just don't care.

Can't just mention one, as long as it doesn't have a creep consistence like tomatoes and like nectarines and stuff I can eat it I guess. I do prefer organic but sometimes they are way more expensive so no, and I don't like spending too much on food. And I don't think it's so organic as for getting it to the store unless it's locally produced.

i always try to buy organic produce where possible. the positives of organic outweigh the positives of non-organic/GMO.

that being said, i love avocados (though for some reason all the ones i've been getting recently are rotten on the day of getting them :(), potatoes, pineapples and lemons.

i always try to buy organic produce where possible. the positives of organic outweigh the positives of non-organic/GMO.

that being said, i love avocados (though for some reason all the ones i've been getting recently are rotten on the day of getting them :(), potatoes, pineapples and lemons.

Yeah avocados are always hit and miss here, either you get rock-hard ones or soft, rotten ones. Sometimes they sell those ready to eat at scalper prices though.. I mean really you can just make them mature yourself if you place them next to other fruits lol -_-

Have to agree with Kaydee about chemicals here as well though, everything is pretty much sprayed with insecticides or gets mixed during transport unless you do real controls or grow things yourself.

organic is such a weird word to use for it imo but uhhh it depends on what it is. like, in some stores non organic bananas arent sold at all haha.

but i think that it's important to know that organic doesnt mean that it's better (healthier, less harmful to nature, tastes better etc.) because there are a lot of things that affect that stuff (like things like where it was produced and how far it hd to be shipped)

also i dont understand why people are opposed go generically modified food, like, some people act like GMOs are literal poison made by the evil scientists to brainwash and kill ppl lmao
idk where they are getting the "it's bad for u!!" thing like ???? i found this article about it http://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/blog/mark-lynas/gmo-safety-debate-over
ot basically says that after going thru a bunch of research and whatever theyve come to the conclusion that gno's arent more harmful than other foods.

there are a lot of pros to genetically modified food and no real evidence that it's harmful so i dont see why people are so oppaosed to it.

My favorite would be the mango.

I prefer non-organic food because it's cheaper. Organic foods don't have any significant health benefits and farmers are allowed to use pesticides on their crops while still calling them organic.

Avocados, lemons, squash, and peaches are my favorites atm. When I have time I like baking and usually I like using fresh fruit for it. I'll cut up a bunch of fruits and veggies to snack on once a week or so to be a little healthier. I don't really have a preference between organic and regular produce but I normally get regular because it's just cheaper. If I had more money I'd get organic

Can't just mention one, as long as it doesn't have a creep consistence like tomatoes and like nectarines and stuff I can eat it I guess. I do prefer organic but sometimes they are way more expensive so no, and I don't like spending too much on food. And I don't think it's so organic as for getting it to the store unless it's locally produced.

most of the produce at kroger where i work will say where it comes from. im always down to go in the back and check and im on top of that ish because i care about where my food comes from. we have star fruit from china right now! :D and jack fruit from asia!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Avocados, lemons, squash, and peaches are my favorites atm. When I have time I like baking and usually I like using fresh fruit for it. I'll cut up a bunch of fruits and veggies to snack on once a week or so to be a little healthier. I don't really have a preference between organic and regular produce but I normally get regular because it's just cheaper. If I had more money I'd get organic

same. where i work the regular stuff is always on sale, and since most of it, i know where it is coming from, and I am seeing what goes down in the cooler so i am more comfortable eating it opposed if i was to shop at walmart
(our walmart is DIRTY)

i always make sure nothing below my expectations gets stocked even though i am a new employee. i do not deem it acceptable. i even get fresher stuff from the back all the time because i know they appreciate it.

i find it scary the foreign ppl in town right now have no idea what GMOS are... i always gladly explain it and let them know but dont push them to organics bc its very pricey and more stubborn to stock (youd know why if you worked there. you arent even allowed to handle it with bare hands) a lot of work goes into organics that nobody even knows about

i dont care if it's organic or not, if it tastes good then ill eat it.
i love strawberries

I rarely buy organic, because here it just plain costs too much, usually at least double the price of normal produce (if not more).

I don't think any of our produce comes from outside the Americas (some of the kiwis are the only item that comes to mind), but I certainly wouldn't buy anything from China, talk about zero controls or regulation and a history of exporting poisonous goods and, well, I aint gonna consume it. It makes me a bit angry, with so many apple producers here in the USA, that half or more of the apple juice labels include Chinese apples in their mix (you have to read the fine print to see what they use.)

fresh produce that I really like at this time of year would be strawberries, peaches, nectarines, plums, and blueberries. the best-smelling fruit is guava but the ones here are the small kind that have too many seeds. I like the Asian-style yellow mangoes, more than the green/red western style. i saw rambutan fruit recently, that's one i've never tried, imma buy some next time:

2467500210_3b48447ecf.jpg

- - - Post Merge - - -

oops, i forgot corn, collard greens, leeks, tomatoes, and carrots!

I love mangoes! And honestly whichever is cheapest, I'm on a college student budget lol (bc i am one)

My other staples are kale(so cheap!), strawberries(if they're all looking okay from the top and bottom of container), spinach, and an onion. Onion can go with so much, I love it!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of bananas, cucumbers, spinach, onions, and apples! (?。• ᵕ •。`)

I always prefer organic if I can have it, but like others have mentioned, it can be a little pricey at times. I make a smoothie almost every morning, and you can really taste the difference between organic and non-organic with those, so I'll buy organic if I can afford it!

Back