• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

China Bans All LGBT Content on the Internet

what a beautiful red shirt the president is wearing :')

Yeah red turtleneck and everything ^^'

Someone quick make a kids' book about Jingping now lol.

And I assume they consider Winnie the Pooh gay as well so he's really dangerous *cough*

Last edited:
Yeah red turtleneck and everything ^^'

Someone quick make a kids' book about Jingping now lol.

And I assume they consider Winnie the Pooh gay as well so he's really dangerous *cough*

They say he walks too much like Xi Jinping...

I'm shocked it's been decided to make an issue out of this, rather than make any attempt to tackle their massive sex trafficking industry, guess it's easy to turn a blind eye to some things but not others.

It's not just the banning of LGBT content that irks me, but the banning of any depiction of assault in relationships. Young people are going to grow up with a very warped view on sex and relationships and end up getting themselves into dangerous and abusive situations. I see an even bigger rise in sham marriages and sex trafficking after this. Education > Censorship.

I'm not surprised at all, this is why government should be very, very small.

i read an article on this where they had a picture of winnie the pooh next to xi jinping
and they captioned it "Winnie the Pooh (left) bears a resemblance to Chinese president Xi Jingping. "
as if we couldn't tell the difference

winnie_0.jpg

We should start comparing Winnie to Trump.

Last edited:
just watch other shows as long as real LGBT people are ok and alive I'm gay and I wouldn't mid if I didn't get to watch LGBT stuff there are always alternatives

just watch other shows as long as real LGBT people are ok and alive I'm gay and I wouldn't mid if I didn't get to watch LGBT stuff there are always alternatives

I'm gay and I'd rather not be censored thanks. It's incredibly difficult and damaging to grow up with 0 representation.

Plus it's not just shows, it's also necessary resources that would help LGBT people.

I'm gay and I'd rather not be censored thanks. It's incredibly difficult and damaging to grow up with 0 representation.

Plus it's not just shows, it's also necessary resources that would help LGBT people.

I'm bisexual, but would have to say the same thing. Believe me, growing up in a homophobic family, I've had to use a lot of such resources to help me.

I'm bisexual, but would have to say the same thing. Believe me, growing up in a homophobic family, I've had to use a lot of such resources to help me.

I'm sure it's the same with any LGBT identity considering cis + straight is considered "default" by so many societies, so if you're anything else it's really confusing to grow up without any knowledge that you're actually completely normal. That confusion without clarity often leads to harmful mindsets and behaviours whether it's towards yourself or others. Speaking personally I had a lot of internalized homophobia growing up and it took a while to get it out of me and the reason for that is never seeing another gay person portrayed in a positive light, and that's in the very few times I've even seen gay people portrayed at all.

Lack of representation kills. It's really sad when other LGBT people don't see this.

I can honestly say I probably wouldn't be alive right now if I wasn't fortunate enough to have seen so much LGBT representation in the things I listened to and occasionally watched. Taking this away from young people is legitimately dangerous.

It's really weird because a lot of my Chinese friends are open minded and accepting of LGBT communities but it's just the government seems to be old fashioned about it.

I'm sure it's the same with any LGBT identity considering cis + straight is considered "default" by so many societies, so if you're anything else it's really confusing to grow up without any knowledge that you're actually completely normal. That confusion without clarity often leads to harmful mindsets and behaviours whether it's towards yourself or others. Speaking personally I had a lot of internalized homophobia growing up and it took a while to get it out of me and the reason for that is never seeing another gay person portrayed in a positive light, and that's in the very few times I've even seen gay people portrayed at all.

Lack of representation kills. It's really sad when other LGBT people don't see this.

I had internalized homophobia/biphobia in my life for years as well. It became clear to me that I was bi around late 2011-early 2012, when I was 11-12 years old (I was born in 2000). I had known since February of 2010 that I liked girls (opposite sex, I'm a guy), but the period from September 2011-March 2012 was when I started realizing I liked guys too. Considering that repeatedly in both my family life and in my church I was told that being attracted to the same sex in any way was wrong, having this realization when I was those ages caused a lot of confusion for me and made me feel like the way I ended up being was very wrong, even though it wasn't. I'm not going to lie, it caused me to become a homophobe for several months then in 2013, but I partly was also trying to show my parents that I wanted to be like them so I could improve strained relationships with them-which, over time, I realized showed something really wrong, as while homophobia not be right at all, the fact that you should feel like you need to hate to improve relationships just simply isn't healthy.
You can see why my graduation from high school that will be happening this following May is something I'm really looking forward to.

Hmm...

While this is unfortunate, it isn't really a shocker. Google is banned in China and the only widely used social media in China is government-regulated (WeChat).

Really depressing... with all the progress that gets made, sometimes it's easy to forget that we can go backwards, too.

Back