• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Has Bill gone bonkers? (yet another controversial gender thread)

Hi everybody! I'm trans and I'm willing to answer any of your questions to the best of my ability in order to clear anything up. Feel free to PM me with any question as long as you don't have malicious intentions or anything.

Also, with regards to Bill Nye, I used to like his show when I was little. It's too bad he likes Autism Speaks.

I also find it kind of annoying that a cisgender man is trying to educate others on transgender people. I guess he has credibility since people consider him a famous scientist, but it would make more sense for a transgender biologist to give their perspective, since they'd not only have scientific expertise but also their own lived experiences to draw from to make it more personal. Being trans isn't completely scientific.

All he's doing is adapting his opinions based on new facts and evidence that has popped up, which is exactly what people should do. At least, that's how I see it

Last edited:
There are only two genders.

Done.

so you're just going to ignore all of the countries that have had more than two genders within their society for literal centuries? what, the white western view of gender is the only one that matters?

educating yourself on this can literally be done through google like it ain't that hard. there's the mahu in hawaii. the fa'afafine in samoa. the alyha and hwame in the mohave tribe. the chuckchi in siberia. just to name a small handful. there are many others. as you would know if you took 5 (five) seconds to google this.

how hard is it to educate yourself and not be transphobic.

so you're just going to ignore all of the countries that have had more than two genders within their society for literal centuries? what, the white western view of gender is the only one that matters?

educating yourself on this can literally be done through google like it ain't that hard. there's the mahu in hawaii. the fa'afafine in samoa. the alyha and hwame in the mohave tribe. the chuckchi in siberia. just to name a small handful. there are many others. as you would know if you took 5 (five) seconds to google this.

im sorry i cant read gibberish

scientific theory isn't a static batch of truisms, it's a constantly questioned and reexamined series of studies made to better understand how and why things work in the way they do

if you're going to claim science as good until it doesn't conveniently fit in with your own desire for validation of your limited worldview, and then decry it as bad and wrong, then you both never understood nor gave a **** about any of the studies in the first place

- - - Post Merge - - -

go to a library sometime, it's a wonder the things you can learn there

I'm not sure if it's gibberish, but font size 1 is too small. I want to see a forums website where there are more font size options, including ones that are too small to read, and then even smaller ones still. How far would people go?

i hate every single discussion (/writing that u can reply to) about anything related to trans things on the internet. u get like 50 people quoting the bible or their 4th grade biology book to prove how Disgusting and Wrong it is like lmao can people chill and/or leave this planet forever

There are only two sexes.

Done.

Corrected that for you ;)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm not sure if it's gibberish, but font size 1 is too small. I want to see a forums website where there are more font size options, including ones that are too small to read, and then even smaller ones still. How far would people go?

0.001 font size needs to exist. Make it happen, vBulletin.

scientific theory isn't a static batch of truisms, it's a constantly questioned and reexamined series of studies made to better understand how and why things work in the way they do

if you're going to claim science as good until it doesn't conveniently fit in with your own desire for validation of your limited worldview, and then decry it as bad and wrong, then you both never understood nor gave a **** about any of the studies in the first place

I agree. But this advice doesn't only apply to how many genders there are. It applies to every theory, global warming, theory of evolution, big bang theory, and even the plate tectonics. Science isn't all or nothing. However, as much as we don't want to mix religion with science as not everyone believes in the same religious beliefs, science can't explain everything. Sure we can accept most theories such as plate tectonics and evolution, but you can't take it extremely seriously because of one thing: we weren't even alive when all these prehistoric events happened. Strong evidence may back it up very well, but the fact that humans didn't exist a million years ago or longer shows that we aren't very clear. As for stuff like Global Warming and how many genders there are, of course people aren't going to agree to the same thing, but here's what you need to know. Whether there are two genders or more genders, we shouldn't force everybody to agree to one thing. Regardless of what you believe in the gender debate, you need to be respectful to those that only believe in something else and not shove your beliefs down their throats. Even hating them for not agreeing is not acceptable.

I know the issue isn't about respecting those who don't agree with you, but I wanted to add that as part of my point about believing in scientific theories. Yeah, I believe that there are only two genders, but I wouldn't shove that belief down everyone's throats. If they want to believe there are more than two genders or that "agender" is a real gender, that's fine with me. Just don't get bothered by people that don't believe so.

i hate every single discussion (/writing that u can reply to) about anything related to trans things on the internet. u get like 50 people quoting the bible or their 4th grade biology book to prove how Disgusting and Wrong it is like lmao can people chill and/or leave this planet forever

I hate to tell you this, but that's the problem with you. You kept getting negative when it comes to issues like this. I know how upset you are at transphobes, but you cannot be telling anyone that they need to leave the planet. That is complete disrespect. I won't defend their behavior, but they have the right to exist too. Why do you always have to be negative? I've never seen a person that depressive before.

Last edited:
I agree. But this advice doesn't only apply to how many genders there are. It applies to every theory, global warming, theory of evolution, big bang theory, and even the plate tectonics. Science isn't all or nothing. However, as much as we don't want to mix religion with science as not everyone believes in the same religious beliefs, science can't explain everything. Sure we can accept most theories such as plate tectonics and evolution, but you can't take it extremely seriously because of one thing: we weren't even alive when all these prehistoric events happened. Strong evidence may back it up very well, but the fact that humans didn't exist a million years ago or longer shows that we aren't very clear. As for stuff like Global Warming and how many genders there are, of course people aren't going to agree to the same thing, but here's what you need to know. Whether there are two genders or more genders, we shouldn't force everybody to agree to one thing. Regardless of what you believe in the gender debate, you need to be respectful to those that only believe in something else and not shove your beliefs down their throats. Even hating them for not agreeing is not acceptable.

I know the issue isn't about respecting those who don't agree with you, but I wanted to add that as part of my point about believing in scientific theories. Yeah, I believe that there are only two genders, but I wouldn't shove that belief down everyone's throats. If they want to believe there are more than two genders or that "agender" is a real gender, that's fine with me. Just don't get bothered by people that don't believe so.

I hate to tell you this, but that's the problem with you. You kept getting negative when it comes to issues like this. I know how upset you are at transphobes, but you cannot be telling anyone that they need to leave the planet. That is complete disrespect. I won't defend their behavior, but they have the right to exist too. Why do you always have to be negative? I've never seen a person that depressive before.

Even though I don't necessarily agree with your opinion on there being only two genders, you structured your argument really well, so you got my like.

Humans have been around for at lest a few thousand years. I looked it up and I came across this bit of info.
It may not be entirely true (shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet) but maybe humans have been around even longer than what this article claims!

https://www.universetoday.com/38125/how-long-have-humans-been-on-earth/

Last edited:
Regardless of what you believe in the gender debate, you need to be respectful to those that only believe in something else and not shove your beliefs down their throats. Even hating them for not agreeing is not acceptable.

accepting and respecting trans people can't be done if you keep saying that there are only two genders. like, that's not how it works.
the discussion on trans people isn't like a discussion on fruit where people who like oranges more have to be fine with other people liking pears more. this is about discrimination and no one has to Agree on Disagreeing when it comes to being treated like a human being.

so im depressed because i wish transphobes would leave planet earth ... wow u know what i think youre right im gonna call my psychologists and psychiatrists and let them know that the reason im mentally ill is because i don't accept or like transphobia, maybe i'll get to start cbt to make me love transphobia and transphobes more. u are truly a medical genius

I just don't like how the show is presented, I don't like when "scientists" turn preachy, I don't like how bias the discussion panels are, not much representation of opposing sides and if so they are constantly shut down. Bill isn't as charming in this show as he was in his first, a lot of awkward parts through out. Never really was a fan of him anywats, I was a Magic School Bus kid.

Overall, the show could've been handled a lot better, and not be so condescending. Pretty gross.

Last edited:
so im depressed because i wish transphobes would leave planet earth ... wow u know what i think youre right im gonna call my psychologists and psychiatrists and let them know that the reason im mentally ill is because i don't accept or like transphobia, maybe i'll get to start cbt to make me love transphobia and transphobes more. u are truly a medical genius

Your depression has nothing to do with being transgender. Disliking people is not a mental illness in general. And you don't have to like transphobes or transphobia. What I'm bothered by is your posting behavior. You typically resort to namecalling, talking negative in debates, and mentioning dark subjects like suicide. You are okay hating transphobes, but just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they are transphobes. That's acting like you need all of the special attention as nobody else does. And under no exception is it okay to wish death upon anyone. You also seem aggressive when it comes to any political issues and not just the LGBT issues.

But you're not alone. When I was younger, I used to be negative on the forums too. I was not only going off topic multiple times, but I was always bringing up controversy. And people lost patience in me, so I came off as "they hate me". I even told them that I hate lessons and to stop teaching me lessons because of how harsh they were. This even got a moderator involved and told me that I need to calm down. And then later on, I created a blog entry that called out the name of one user and accused them of what I didn't like. Because of multiple offenses, I was silenced for two weeks. But I have learned my lesson, and I hope you can improve too.

Your depression has nothing to do with being transgender. Disliking people is not a mental illness in general. And you don't have to like transphobes or transphobia. What I'm bothered by is your posting behavior. You typically resort to namecalling, talking negative in debates, and mentioning dark subjects like suicide. You are okay hating transphobes, but just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they are transphobes. That's acting like you need all of the special attention as nobody else does. And under no exception is it okay to wish death upon anyone. You also seem aggressive when it comes to any political issues and not just the LGBT issues.

But you're not alone. When I was younger, I used to be negative on the forums too. I was not only going off topic multiple times, but I was always bringing up controversy. And people lost patience in me, so I came off as "they hate me". I even told them that I hate lessons and to stop teaching me lessons because of how harsh they were. This even got a moderator involved and told me that I need to calm down. And then later on, I created a blog entry that called out the name of one user and accused them of what I didn't like. Because of multiple offenses, I was silenced for two weeks. But I have learned my lesson, and I hope you can improve too.

if youre Worried about my posting history u can b calm because im pretty sure this forum has moderators
idk if youre trying to give Genuine Life Advice so i can Improve My Personality or whatever but i'm really not interested so Yeah

i'm not saying that everyone who disagrees w me is a transphobe. but it's transphobia to not "believe" in trans ppls identities like idk how to put it so you'll get it because this is something that comes up in every gender thread on this forum and it keeps being brought up.

can this thread chill the **** out pls, thanks

kotp0nu0lvix.png

can this thread chill the **** out pls, thanks

kotp0nu0lvix.png

The thread isn't heated right now. It's not. I was just wondering why someone is sounding negative and that's all. I even got an answer.

Yeah, Bill Nye isn't trustworthy. He claims to be the science guy, but he isn't a scientist. If you want to believe in a science theory, go right ahead. If you want to believe in an alternative theory, go right ahead. But the facts (like newton's laws of physics or the states of matter) cannot be denied. And the gender thing is not a fact. Heck, there are more than two combinations of the sex chromosomes, but it usually comes out to be male or female. X, XX, and XXX are female, and XY, XXY, and XYY are male. But XX and XY are the only normal combinations.

Back