So how about that new photobucket policy?

zeoli

[Noah : he/him]
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
う
ど
For anyone who doesn't know, Photobucket has changed it's service so that if you want to use the site as a 3rd party hosting site, you have to pay $400 usd. They have a "cheaper" plan for $60 usd, however, you still are not allowed to use them as a hosting site.

I can understand not making revenue on the site, but what did they really expect? I moved from photobucket years ago because of how ad ridden the site was. However, my old Photobucket account does still exist. They can try to hold my cringe-y art from high school for ransom but there is no way I would pay $400....They can keep that old crap.

Article Link

So, what does TBT think about this?

Huh, I had wondered what had happened to Photobucket. I haven't logged onto my account for ages so I didn't know.

$400USD though?! That' the literal definition of highway robbery! That's $550 for me. They do realise that places like imgur & flickr exist, which are free and do the exact same job right?

I did like using Photobucket a few years ago because it was easy to use and it didn't deplete the image quality as much as what imgur did (from my experience at least). But it's turned to absolute crap with all the ads literally everywhere and an extremely laggy website that doesn't load up properly most of the time. It was never really a good website for hosting due to the bandwidth being exceeded all the time...

Eh, good on them for trying but I don't know how successful they'll be :p

Last edited:
For anyone who doesn't know, Photobucket has changed it's service so that if you want to use the site as a 3rd party hosting site, you have to pay $400 usd. They have a "cheaper" plan for $60 usd, however, you still are not allowed to use them as a hosting site.

I can understand not making revenue on the site, but what did they really expect? I moved from photobucket years ago because of how ad ridden the site was. However, my old Photobucket account does still exist. They can try to hold my cringe-y art from high school for ransom but there is no way I would pay $400....They can keep that old crap.

Article Link

So, what does TBT think about this?

Have you saved your Photobucket art to your PC and than removing the pictures from your account?

Extremely annoyed with that decision. I visit a car forum frequently and now a lot of the build threads are completely useless without the photos. Not a very good business practice, thankfully I never wasted my time using them.

It's pretty rough that they decided to change their policy. Apparently those who were currently using them, like eBay pictures, didn't get any sort of notification about their changed policies. Just screwed everyone over who still used Photobucket.

No one can afford that price and even if you can, why would you want to pay that much? That's basically paying rent for a small studio. At this point they might even cease to exist in the near future.

I have an old account too but left it years ago. There's nothing worth saving.

I've moved to imgur a while ago, I had an old photobucket account that I posted my friend's wedding album to... I'll have to ask her if she saved them all off of there cause that would really suck if she wasn't able to access them anymore. =/

I know that they'd already lot a ton of people because of the ads and bandwidth I don't know how charging is going to help them at all, it's just going to push more people onto different sites... I don't think the site as a whole is going to have a very long life here on out.

imgur pls.
imgur is for me better and easier to use than photobucket , besides , who the **** will pay $400 to upload images?

I'll have to check if I still have access to my account. I had some nice holiday pictures from a decade ago that I'd rather not lose, but they're not worth that pricetag - I can't think of anything that is, lol.

uhhh wasnt photobucket something ppl used like ..... 5 years ago.

but lol i guess they have to get funding somehow but, like, imgur exists and i dont really understand why anyone would pay that much money to host images on photobucket (like... there are alternatives... you can make and host your own image hosting website for less...)

Utter trash. I deleted my account, also how are they gonna stop people from using other services? Imgur claim they have some similar policy although a lot of users are not registered anyways so they'd probably have to hire someone tracking down IP's if they wanna continue that.

Time to start using the sig uploader here unless it gets too heavy :/

Lol I forgot that Photobucket existed, and I remember having an account on there which I used to upload a lot of pictures to. You're bringing back repressed memories.

Lol I forgot that Photobucket existed, and I remember having an account on there which I used to upload a lot of pictures to. You're bringing back repressed memories.

Your sig just showed that picture but I guess you know now...

Very surprised if anyone's actually gonna pay that unless you own like a large business and needing it, lol.

Image Shack did this first. Now Photobucket. Imgur better not do this or they'll be making a HUGE mistake!

Wait what?!

I used to use Photobucket many years ago but moved to imgur as soon as they began with the attack of the ads. It's nice to see them make stupid decisions so they die. They deserve to go under after all the stupid moves they've made.

Image Shack did this first. Now Photobucket. Imgur better not do this or they'll be making a HUGE mistake!

They already have a policy you aren't supposed to use them as a storage for hosting their images in signatures off-sites and such but I highly doubt they target people, especially since a lot just uploads them with no account.

Legitimately curious what people would use any image hosting site for if they couldn't use them elsewhere online.
awkney.gif

Luckily, i use my deviantart sta.sh.
Looks like photobucket joined the mess-up website regime along with tumblr, in which they put up this dumb safe mode.

Back