• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Things You Hate/Dislike About Animal Crossing

My one pet peeve is the house system and where they are placed
Basically what I'm trying to say is I hate it when villagers *cough cough* Cally place there house on your patch of Jacob's Ladders.
It's just a hassle to time travel back and forth for a good placement without hacking

Otherwise it's an amazing game with an even better community <3

I don't like that villagers could just leave at any point. No matter how often you talk to them or how many requests you accept and complete, they could just leave. No built in friendship system makes it hard to care too much about villagers. I remember when I first started playing, Greta was my favorite villager, I adored her and talked to her all the time, but the day she said she wanted to move left me kinda dumbfounded. I was sitting there wondering if I had done something wrong. After that I didn't really care about villagers much

DEFINITELY the villager house placement system. I wish we could move the house in the days before they move in!

I also dislike how long it takes to get PWPs. I can run around my town for hours and get nothing - totally annoying!

I absolutely adore the game, but there are a few things that frustrate me.
1.) Letting the villagers move wherever they want. I like that the new update has helped this issue (they can't move on paths/QR designs now) but still. They're able to place their homes in spots Tom Nook and Isabelle would never let me go! It's annoying when I think I've got my town all worked out in a way that the villagers should have to move somewhere specific - only to realize no, they can move super close to retail!
2.) Villagers moving out randomly. I get that this is a real time game, and I love that aspect! But my real life consists of school, work, family, and friends. So sometimes I don't get a chance to play for a week or so... I shouldn't be penalized by having a surprise villager move out! :(
3.) PWP restrictions. This is regarding how we obtain the PWPs (waiting ages for a villager to suggest them) and the placement restrictions make me sad.
4.) Tree restrictions! I want cedar trees everywhere, why does the game make them ungrowable in certain areas! I also wish all the cedar trees got Christmas lights :p it would also be nice if I could order cedar/regular trees in bulk!
5.) More space for QR designs! I want more space! It would just be nice if I didn't need extra characters solely for the purpose of laying paths :p
6.) Why. Can't. I. Get. Rid. Of. Rocks. Honestly, I hate them. They interfere with house placements, PWPs, and paths. I don't care about getting free bells that much, why can I just keep one around for the sake of finding bugs?

Just how boring it can be because there isn't much to do. I have a habit of coming back for 1 - 2 weeks, leaving for 3 months, and then coming back 1-2 (repeat).

I hate that there's not enough pattern space. I need lots more.Even 10 more slots would come in handy.

I hate that New Leaf only allows 8 custom design signs. 10 would be nice.

Only having 8 letters for a town name drives me crazy.

I dislike it when people review your dream town and critique every single thing. Your music, your flower combos, your paths, your house is too cluttered or too empty, etc, etc. Theres no wrong way to decorate. Can't people just focus on the positives? We all have different tastes and design styles.

Honestly, I hate how RARE it is for certain bugs to spawn (lookin' at you, tarantula) only to have them be almost impossible to catch on top of that. I was up to 3 am, sleep deprived, and had been attacked by the third tarantula i'd seen since they'd started spawning and I just started BAWLING like the giant baby I am lmao...

I also... have such mixed feelings about the amiibo cards / figures being such a big part of the game now. I'm broke and have a very old original 3ds. I can't afford a new one or a scanner. Let alone the actual cards and figures themselves. I feel like it's sort of an elitism thing now. I'm sure that's not what Nintendo intended by releasing the update, but in every AC related community I've ever been in, that's how it's felt...

Also dead spots. Can they not. I get why they're a thing, I really do... I just wish they weren't haha.

Anyway, as for your questions:
* What do you think about Resetting/Time-Traveling? After the time I accidentally traveled five years into the future and one of my favorite starter villagers moved out, I've been terrified of messing up that badly again. So I don't do it. I don't care if other people do it though. As a matter of fact, my cousin frequently time travels just to make it night time so she and i can go beetle hunting together on her island~ Pretty nifty, I think.
* Have you ever used Amiibo Cards/Figures? Nope, lol. I guess that's kind of obvious from my above rant, though OTL

you'd think for a game that can fit 10 villagers and adds displaying many town projects, there'd be more space... but they made the maps too tiny!! i feel like the original animal crossing had a much bigger map? another thing i miss about the first game is you already knew where villagers were going to move in since there'd be a sign post :-(

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh yeah this sounds silly but i feel like the villagers are too nice to the point they lose their personality. i remember how cruel the grumpy / snooty villagers were lol. they'd call you fat and take your stuff

I really really really hate how you can't move rocks and how the tools end up taking up a lot of space in the pockets

I already posted here once but I have to add that I really dislike the 30 pwp limit. I had no idea that I had built 20 already so now a lot of my plans are out the window, especially for little things like benches and streetlights :/ I wish at least the 3 bridges didn't count towards the limit.

I agree with tools taking up a lot of inventory space. To save a bit of space I put the slingshot, megaphone, and watering can in envelopes and take them out when I need them, but that means that I usually have to empty my mailbox twice. Which reminds me - I wish we could get rid of letters while inside buildings! When I read the letters in my house (mainly to escape the full mailbox noise...) the option to toss them doesn't appear.

I also dislike the lack of pattern space. Even with three characters, I'm still going to have to use a one-tile path because I'm using the space for other custom designs. I really don't want to create a fourth character just for paths!

i don't really hate anything, because i love acnl hehe but things that don't make me smile are:
1. villagers changing into awful shirts! so many shirts are so ugly please ;;;
2. villagers turning their houses into fish farms! when they first arrive, their houses are so cute! and then one day they invite me over and BAM! FISH FARM
3. i think it was just a tiny bit of a design team oversight to let villagers plot wherever they want. for a game that stresses building the aesthetics of your town and decorating and planting outside, they make it awfully hard to have nice layouts. i think it's oookay if you have 10 or 9 set villagers that are your forever residents, because you can work around their houses to make it nice, but what if you want to switch out villagers occasionally just for a change of flavor? there's little to no guarantee that they will plot in the same spot (esp if you aren't using amiibos and are just having natural move-ins), and bam! your orchard or flower garden is ruined! every time you want a new villager, you have to restructure........... that is... unless you plot reset, but i mean.... i'm just thinking if you played the game without that kind of stuff
4. FISH FARM
5. i wish we could have more pwps! and i wish that we could have more trees without ruining perfect town status. it would be so cute to have a very very foresty town, but if you want to keep your town perfect, you can't go over 200 trees/bamboo
6. inventory! i know it got loads better with the secret storage, but i'm a total hoarder, so i've filled that up haha

i only time travel if i'm plot resetting and i messed up patterning over a certain place and the villager keeps moving there! that's when i time travel back a day and pattern it over safely! also everyone once in a while when i'm desperate for cash and need to order something for someone on the forum :)
and i caved a couple weeks ago and bought a couple packs of amiibo cards! i've only invited one villager to move in, but i've used the cards for desert island escape and to get meow coupons and to get npc pictures! :)

The number one thing that comes to mind is how much I hate the letter writing process. It takes forever to write out letters good enough to have a positive impact on friendship XP I'm hoping that whatever this new App does, it allows for us to write out letters to our villagers via our phones. I also hate when they copy catchphrases from one another XP I once had three or four people in the town all with the same catch phrase.

I reset and time travel. I reset when I want to experience the full game all over again. I've done this twice I think. I time travel when I want to play longer than what one day can really allow, but I only tt one day at a time.
I haven't. XP I like the card aspect though to bring in chosen villagers.

I'd say the only thing that's bothered me would be making my own clothing.. somehow I've felt limited by the template.. would be nice if they could've added like a simplified 3d modeling tool you know for more fancy dresses and such or cosplaying even lol

- Gyroids buried in the floor day after rain/snow. I totally hate them;
- Autumn. I don't like those red/brown leaves and grass;
- When villagers ask for new greetings and catchphrases;
- When villagers wear clothes the same color of their bodies, looks like they are naked;
- Mosquito stinging the mayor and flea on villagers.

The fact that I've been playing about since it came out and my encyclopedia is nowhere near done, no matter how hard I've been trying to finish it!

Things that bother me in ACNL:
1. Pond near Re-Tail.
2. Repetitive greetings every single time you enter or exit the shops. Once a day would be good with me.
3. Level of interaction with some furniture items, such as slides and backyard pools. Cant use them.
4. Be able to give gift to villagers while talking to them, rather than having to mail it every time.
5. No way to get furniture through a complete catalog. at least the basic 5 pieces from the 8 themes according to HHA.
6. Visiting Dream Villages doesn't add homes to HHA Showcase.
7. Only 3 bridges to cross the river.
8. Load times when entering houses and different rooms and shops.
Does anyone else find these things annoying?

Last edited:
-I absolutely HATE how you can't demolish the big rocks. They've caused me so many problems in the past. I hate them with a burning passion.
-Villagers picking up other villager's catchphrases and it spreads everywhere.
-Villagers wearing ugly clothes and how Isabelle can't reset them to their default shirt.. why gym tees??? It should be default.
-Villagers only having 4 personalities per gender. Seriously? :I There could be a lot more than just 8 personalities.
-When you talk to villagers and they say the exact same thing 2-3 times in a row.
-Grass deterioration being really tedious to control.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is still a thing because I just started playing again after a long break, but I hate when people hold you hostage on the multiplayer island in ACNL. Lost my only chance at a silver axe that way.

I kind of like time traveling and being able to reset! Sometimes I need to get some PWP's done so I will skip forward a day. Also when i'm trying to get a villager to move into a certain spot I will time travel.

Three things I dislike/want to change:

1. I wish we could pick exactly where our villagers put their houses.
2. I wish we could move stuff around our town the way we can in HHD. Like I wish I could put some furniture items outside.
3. I wish we could put paths and patterns under some of the PWP's just like in HHD.

One thing I think ruins the experience for me is the way that you make money in this series. It's honestly starting to get ridiculous. Beetle and shark hunting and all these other tricks has gotten old, really fast and I find it boring and repetitive, to be honest.

Yet, they let you do jobs in this game. You can run errands and work for brewster. Heck, in the older games you helped out Tom Nook. Yet they barely pay you anything for this. I think like 500 bells for the errands and no more than like 1,500 for the others. Lol, no. I'm not saying it should be easy, but maybe having some optional jobs you can do or something to make money would get rid of some of the repetition.

Also, I'm not so fund of the whole fact that pretty much literally everything in this game in for decoration. Not everything has to be interactive, but my god at least give some stuff some type of utilization or interaction. Heck, since there are things like ice cream and such in the game. make it how you can grab a piece from the pastry table just as a thing for fun.

Back