Sometimes it's just pure, dumb luck

EmGee

Crazy cat dad
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Earlier tonight I was hunting for scorpions so I could add to the museum, and purely by accident I almost ran straight into a tarantula. Fortunately I had the sound on and stopped as soon as I heard it scuttling (or would that be skittering?). Then I waited about 30 seconds for its guard to drop and turn around, and caught it. Later, after having to go out and grab dinner, I was going for the scorpion again and was doing the spawn reset trick by saving and continuing. Normally each time I would walk around a bit to see if one was nearby before trying again, but I ended up saving by my city hall only for one to spawn right near the CAT machine, then I had to listen to it hiss when I raised my net lol.

So now I finally caught both those s.o.b.'s, and have extras for my house, and not once did any of them get caught through careful searching. Anyone else feel like sheer stupid chance is all you get when you catch those things, if you've even caught any?

Lucky!! I've run into a few tarantulas when I didn't have my net on me (really dumb on my part - I was hoping for pwp pings and only had flowers in my pockets) and then the one time I did see one when I had my net equipped it just... disappeared into the ether before I could strike :(

Are tarantulas and scorpions the rarest bugs in the game? I think they are more likely to spawn if you have fewer things on the ground, which makes it tougher if you've got a lot of flowers or patterns laid out.

They definitely have the lowest spawn rates, and getting rid of all your trees and flowers makes it easier to spot them but doesn't seem to make them any more likely to appear since there are other bugs on the ground to encounter. I think the petaltail dragonfly is tied with them, spawn-rate wise, and that's even more annoying since it only shows up for 2 hrs in the evening in the months it spawns

wow, lucky! I had the exact opposite luck with catching a scorpion. The day I caught my first (and only one so far) was the day my card reader had broken, so I lost the data before I could save it. hopefully I'll catch one this year!

Last edited:
You could just try picking a relatively clear spot and doing the same spawn reset trick until one shows up. Might take you a few tries or a few hundred, but sooner or later it has to happen

They always seem to spawn when I'm not out looking for them. I carry all my tools but when I get spooked, I panic.

A tarantula did that to me and it was scuttling towards the bottom of my screen, so I couldn't see the little jerk and I decided not to risk being decimated.

I've only ever encountered a few and each time it was sheer luck, but I usually don't hunt particular types of fish/bugs unless a villager has requested it so...

I still haven't caught a scorpion in my current play through and I want one in my home too :( I have a personal rule I always donate the first of every species I get so I don't forget to donate one to the museum so, I'm in need of tons of more luck to get what I want lol.

I actually got bit by one last week; was out doing something else, don't remember what, but I was moving at the maximum walking pace, which is considered a jog by the game mechanics, and one of the little bastards just ran right up behind me and bit me. I think I was actually behind my house when that happened

seeing's how im afraid of them both, i never thought i would catch them. but thankfully i managed to get over myself, and so when i encountered them, i finally got to catch them.

never doing it again, though.

seeing's how im afraid of them both, i never thought i would catch them. but thankfully i managed to get over myself, and so when i encountered them, i finally got to catch them.

never doing it again, though.

Not even for meow coupons? There are initiatives for both

I managed to get a scorpion tonight, too! Although for me, it was spooky what I had to do: While I was sneaking up on it, one of my villagers decided to stand directly in my way between me and the scorpion, and I had to stand still until she finally left. Then, I struck with the net...

That was rather tense! o_o

I managed to get a scorpion tonight, too! Although for me, it was spooky what I had to do: While I was sneaking up on it, one of my villagers decided to stand directly in my way between me and the scorpion, and I had to stand still until she finally left. Then, I struck with the net...

That was rather tense! o_o

Oh so they were doing the classic thousand yard stare.

I caught one the first day of the season without even trying to. I hadn't seen one before but just noticed this dark blur on the ground so swung my net to see what it was. Turned out to be a tarantula.

So yeah, dumb luck. Haven't seen one since.

When I first saw a tarantula, I panicked then it bit me.
Gwen saw me faint. She did nothing.

I still have never even seen either in the game :( Oh well, maybe someday they will show up, or I will have a friend play my game to catch.

I caught a tarantula right in front of my house in Pixel in the days before I put down paths.

After walking and hoping - it happened so easily and naturally. Effortless!

I was so completely surprised! I still think of it.

Haven't caught one since.

I caught a scorpion in my other town but I was in a field of flowers and flying bugs in my pockets - but the game said my pockets were full and I had to let it go. Still upset about that a little bit. ;)

Back