• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Favorite Operating System (OS)?

Favorite OS?

• Windows

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • Macintosh

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Linux

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ubuntu

• Other (Please Specify)

• I prefer smartphone OS.

• Total voters

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Peach 🍑
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Green Bunny Balloon
Cyan Bunny Balloon
Snow Bunny
Fresh Feather
Cool Feather
I decided to pop in for a moment and see how my fellow TBT'ers are doing, and after seeing all this discussion about computers, I was wondering, what's you favorite laptop/desktop OS?

No, I'm not counting phone operating systems like Android and iOS.

I, personally, really like Windows, specifically the older versions like XP and 7. I have a desktop that still has Windows XP on it, but since it's not made to run very well, I rarely ever use it for anything other than computer games and Paint. My current desktop has Windows 8, and I'm not gonna bother upgrading to 10 because the interface is drastically different than what I'm used to.

I prefer Windows more particularly because every computer that our family has owned has been a PC with a Windows OS. I've already learned how it works, and I can do pretty much anything with it! Tbh I have no idea what I'm gonna do when Windows 7/8 becomes obsolete... I'm gonna be lost lol.

What's your favorite OS? And why?

I like Windows and Android OS, it's what I am used to and it's easy to use and navigate. I have never been a big fan of any Mac OS and haven't really tried any of the others.

Computers: Windows
Phones: iOS. I had an Android phone ages ago and well I'm not a fan of their layout and design of everything being so cluttery, and "edgy" literally speaking. I'd gladly pay some extra to have a cleaner layout and simple menus.

windows. i really like windows 10, i had some issues with it in the beginning (like the sound disappeared... twice...) but aside from that i haven't had any problems and now i'm used to the design and how stuff works so i like it. i think it would be too annoying to use another operating system because i already know how windows works and most stuff are made for windows. i dont really feel like having to learn a bunch of stuff and it'd be annoying with programs not working for the operating system.

windows. i really like windows 10, i had some issues with it in the beginning (like the sound disappeared... twice...) but aside from that i haven't had any problems and now i'm used to the design and how stuff works so i like it. i think it would be too annoying to use another operating system because i already know how windows works and most stuff are made for windows. i dont really feel like having to learn a bunch of stuff and it'd be annoying with programs not working for the operating system.
Never upgraded on my current laptop but yeah I wish they'd actually could have fixed those bugs more shortly after launch... And it's too much 8 for me to "like" anyways :/

I never did any other ones besides windows, soo...

Chrome OS is my favorite despite its limitations.It's easy to use and not buggy like just about every Windows OS I've used in the past.I also like macOS and Linux.

Definitely a Mac person over Windows. However I don't like how limiting iOS is - Android all the way on that front.

Linux isn't actually an operating system, it's a kernel, (unless you mean Linux OS, which is different, but the Linux kernel is what most people mistakenly talk about being an OS), which operating systems such as Ubuntu and Debian (and the Linux OS) are built over. Ubuntu is a distribution of the Linux kernel. If you're wondering, in simple terms, a kernel is the core of the OS.

I did vote Linux though because I like the Debian OS most (in particular the Raspbian version for the Raspberry Pi), and given Linux is the kernel that Debian is built over, I voted that.

Linux isn't actually an operating system, it's a kernel, (unless you mean Linux OS, which is different, but the Linux kernel is what most people mistakenly talk about being an OS), which operating systems such as Ubuntu and Debian (and the Linux OS) are built over. Ubuntu is a distribution of the Linux kernel. If you're wondering, in simple terms, a kernel is the core of the OS.

I did vote Linux though because I like the Debian OS most (in particular the Raspbian version for the Raspberry Pi), and given Linux is the kernel that Debian is built over, I voted that.

Thank you for the nerdy explanation. And then there's Unix and I really don't want to get into explaining all of this.

One thing I love about the base for all Linux distributions is that it really isn't restrictive at all. Overwrite files while they're in use, have no worries about fragmentation, completely replace (or remove, I guess) the window manager and so on. And it (any Linux distribution) is the #1 choice for web hosting! :D

Linux is the kernel, also Ubuntu is not the only distribution of GNU/Linux. I use ElementaryOS which is built off of Ubuntu primarily dual-booted with Windows 10. At work I use RHEL.

Windows. It's the only one I've ever used.

I use Windows. Its clean, organized, and easy to navigate around. I like how it's not cluttered with useless things and it's down to the point and easy to use!

Back