• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

New to New Leaf! Tips?

kdemelo

Bells
Hey everyone! I've played AC games in the past (GameCube, Wii) so I know the basics, but now I'm starting on my 3DS and want to have an amazing town. What are some important tips/tricks for New Leaf?

Thank you!!
-Katie

Hi, I recommend just trying everything you see out to start with and then begin looking into what you can do as mayor in the town hall to help your town flourish. If you invest in your shop then you will get more choice in time. If you catch 2 villagers together be sure to engage with them I love when that happens. If you see a fruit that looks different from normal be sure to bury it somewhere it can grow.

Be careful of the tarantulas, they have gained superpowers and lack of anger management.

I guess too you can decide what kind of town you'd like. Orderly versus free flowing, e.g, plot resetting madness or "everything is fine" attitude.

Don't do any kind of major landscaping until you've settled on your villagers and their positions.

- Figure out what you want in your town map/layout before you completely settle on one. Unless you're not super picky! In New Leaf you have to consider where you'll put PWP's and sometimes the layout can make that tricky. It's much easier to pick a map carefully so you don't end up hating it down the road. (I realize there's not a lot you can do at the start, but like, river shape, main building placements, rocks, ponds, etc.) In fact, here is a guide for rock and pond placements so you can get an idea of where they'll be before you even pick a map.

- Like Drokmar said be wary of landscaping before your villagers are settled! Luckily the new update has made it easier to plot villager houses! Just ensure any area you don't want a villager house to go is covered in patterns, and so long as they have room elsewhere they won't plop down on the patterns.

- Sort of goes along with number one here, but be super careful and sure about where you place permanent PWP's! So many people make posts about hating their towns after they placed a PWP they couldn't demolish in a bad spot. It can ruin an otherwise perfect map Dx

I'm sure I have more tips and tricks to share, but I need some time to think lol

- Here's a guide on villager house exteriors, just in case you want your town and villager homes to have a certain theme or look https://aforestlife.com/guides/villager-house-exteriors-in-ac-new-leaf/

- Amy also has a good guide on naming your town: https://aforestlife.com/guides/animal-crossing-town-name-ideas-and-methods/

- I'm not sure if this was a part of the older AC games, because I only played City Folk very briefly, but when a villager asks me to bury a time capsule I always bury it right in front of their mailbox. That way I know not to dig it up later (because I am very forgetful) and I can find it when they ask me to dig it back up.

- So long as one pitfall seed is buried in your town, another one will not spawn. So I like to find it, dig it up, and bury it in the most remote corner of my town possible so it's out of the way and I don't have to worry about falling into them randomly.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh yeah, and talk to Sable every day in Able Sisters!

- - - Post Merge - - -

You can also talk to Isabelle on your first day and she'll keep giving you tips. She'll end up giving you a basket of fruit not native to your town, you can buy either a fishing pole or bug catching net (I'd suggest picking whichever isn't for sale in Nooklings), and if you go through all of her tips she'll give you a watering can, which unless you trade with someone to get, I don't think you can get one for a little while otherwise.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm sorry for spamming, you have no idea how long I've waited to talk to someone totally new to New Leaf lol. And now i'm spacing on all the things I could tell you x_x

Last edited:
- Don't sell perfect fruit! Instead plant it and make a grove of them to sell.
- You can reset your map as much as you like! Don't settle on a map until you're sure you like the way it look's, has the fruit you want, grass pattern is how you like it (if you even care about grass pattern), you have the amount of rocks that suits you best (If you want to landscape a lot the fewer rocks the better!), and if you want a couple or only one pond.
- After finding your perfect map decide on what villagers you wouldn't mind living in your town, if you don't care who lives in your town ask yourself: Will you mind where they plop their house down? If the answer is yes, maybe you shouldn't focus too much on landscaping your town because chances are you will have a villager plop it's house down on a beloved fruit orchard (We've all had it happen)
- After you have the villagers situated, time for the PWPs! There are a couple that you can't destroyed (Cafe, Police Station, and Resetti Center) so it's best you pick the absolute best spot for them. Usually if you ask for a good placement on something users on here would be more than willing to help you out! For the rest of the PWPs just place them where ever you think is best, or if you want to make a small flower garden, place a small PWP in the middle so that way villagers can move on top of it.

The Campsite is another PWP you can't demolish, and I think that's the one I see people complain about the most when they've placed it badly. I'm actually debating putting the police station in one of my towns because Im not sure where to put it and I don't want to end up absolutely despising it Dx

one of the most important things is to be absolutely SURE that you place permanent pwp's in a spot you like. It will seriously ruin your town otherwise if you're not happy with it!

that said, love your map. choose a town layout that perfectly resonates with you- it's draining to play in a town you hate, like most people on here say. but there are also people who don't care what goes where, so there's that! but if you're picky like me and other people, you should take time deciding on your town map and permanent things like that!

Here are some more!

• Each day there is a "fake rock" that you can hit with a shovel and it will open up and a random ore (gem) will be inside of it. You can sell this, or "refurbish" furniture at Re-Tail and customize it to be crystal-like. Only some furniture can be customized a different colour, or pattern. You unlock this in time.
  • Like in previous games, one permanent rock a day will spawn multiple bags of money if you hit it in succession
  • Like in previous games, shaking trees can result in furniture, money, or bees!! (Run before you get stung!)
  • Fruit can be stacked (up to 9) by dragging one on another, thank God!
  • In the beginning tasks, if you're having difficulty reaching 100% approval try fishing for junk in the rivers
  • It's more profitable to sell your stuff to Reese at Re-Tail rather than at Nook's
  • Your native fruit will sell for 100 bells each, and foreign fruit will sell for 250-500 bells. But! You should not sell the first one you get, plant it! If you want you can trade fruit with other users on here to get them all.
  • To get close to a bug without scaring it off, while equipped with the net, you can hold A to sneak up to it, and release to use your net. This is particularly useful when catching beetles on the Island for lots of $$$ when you unlock it.

Here's a giant list of F.A.Q.s about basically everything you need to know as you unlock more and more throughout the game.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimalCrossing/comments/1shoap/common_misconceptions_and_frequently_asked/

My suggestion: download an app called ACNL guide to keep track of what bugs, fish, etc you can catch right now, and which ones you already have, so you don't have to look for them again. There's also a fossils and art list to check too.
- Figure out what you want in your town map/layout before you completely settle on one. Unless you're not super picky! In New Leaf you have to consider where you'll put PWP's and sometimes the layout can make that tricky. It's much easier to pick a map carefully so you don't end up hating it down the road. (I realize there's not a lot you can do at the start, but like, river shape, main building placements, rocks, ponds, etc.) In fact, here is a guide for rock and pond placements so you can get an idea of where they'll be before you even pick a map.

- Like Drokmar said be wary of landscaping before your villagers are settled! Luckily the new update has made it easier to plot villager houses! Just ensure any area you don't want a villager house to go is covered in patterns, and so long as they have room elsewhere they won't plop down on the patterns.

- Sort of goes along with number one here, but be super careful and sure about where you place permanent PWP's! So many people make posts about hating their towns after they placed a PWP they couldn't demolish in a bad spot. It can ruin an otherwise perfect map Dx

I'm sure I have more tips and tricks to share, but I need some time to think lol

- Here's a guide on villager house exteriors, just in case you want your town and villager homes to have a certain theme or look https://aforestlife.com/guides/villager-house-exteriors-in-ac-new-leaf/

- Amy also has a good guide on naming your town: https://aforestlife.com/guides/animal-crossing-town-name-ideas-and-methods/

- I'm not sure if this was a part of the older AC games, because I only played City Folk very briefly, but when a villager asks me to bury a time capsule I always bury it right in front of their mailbox. That way I know not to dig it up later (because I am very forgetful) and I can find it when they ask me to dig it back up.

- So long as one pitfall seed is buried in your town, another one will not spawn. So I like to find it, dig it up, and bury it in the most remote corner of my town possible so it's out of the way and I don't have to worry about falling into them randomly.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh yeah, and talk to Sable every day in Able Sisters!

- - - Post Merge - - -

You can also talk to Isabelle on your first day and she'll keep giving you tips. She'll end up giving you a basket of fruit not native to your town, you can buy either a fishing pole or bug catching net (I'd suggest picking whichever isn't for sale in Nooklings), and if you go through all of her tips she'll give you a watering can, which unless you trade with someone to get, I don't think you can get one for a little while otherwise.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm sorry for spamming, you have no idea how long I've waited to talk to someone totally new to New Leaf lol. And now i'm spacing on all the things I could tell you x_x
I wish I knew about the ponds and rocks before, I kept resetting maps because the ponds locations annoyed me, I didn't want one too close to the retail, nor too many rocks. Wish I could use Homebrew to get rid of some of them x.x

Last edited:
Back