• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What does 'adulting' mean to you?

Marmoset

Cebuella pygmaea
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
What do you associate with the verb 'adulting'? I find it interesting that there is both homogenity and variation in what activities are considered markers of adulthood.

For me, adulting means paying bills, going to work, etc. But oddly enough I also associate driving and exercising as candidates for 'adulting'. I used to do both without giving them much thought. But now that I am older and have to plan these activities rather than spontaneously perform them, I consider them both part of 'adulting'.

So what do you consider adulting? Any odd activities? And do you adult often? :)

Googling how to do stuff

istolethatoffgoogle

I suppose that, to me, the term "adulting" would be when you take things more seriously and are aware of, and are prepared to handle, the consequences that any of your actions might hold. It's when you're trying to accomplish something that is greater than yourself, I guess...

Like cooking meals paying bills and making your own phone calls and doctors appointments. Basically being responsible and independent

havin to do things that i never wanna do

I read once that adulthood doesn't mean you stop drinking chocolate milk or watching cartoons, it means paying for your own (or something along the lines of that).

And I believe in that. Our ideas of what adulthood means comes from society's point of view, and god knows our beliefs and values would be very, very different if we believed in everything society tried to tell us. Disregard it.

I suppose that, to me, the term "adulting" would be when you take things more seriously and are aware of, and are prepared to handle, the consequences that any of your actions might hold. It's when you're trying to accomplish something that is greater than yourself, I guess...

I like this answer!

Like cooking meals paying bills and making your own phone calls and doctors appointments. Basically being responsible and independent

Phone calls and doctors appointments; very true! I miss when my mother used to book everything for me.

I read once that adulthood doesn't mean you stop drinking chocolate milk or watching cartoons, it means paying for your own (or something along the lines of that).

And I believe in that. Our ideas of what adulthood means comes from society's point of view, and god knows our beliefs and values would be very, very different if we believed in everything society tried to tell us. Disregard it.

True. I still love the occasional sweet every now and then! ;) I do eat a lot more broccoli than I used to, though.

I use it with things that only adults typically do or have to do like laundry, paying bills, working etc. Anything that if you moved out, you'd have to do.

doing things you didnt have to do as a kid because adults did it for u but now youre the adult and have to do those things. things like paying bills, having a full time job, getting a place to live and stuff like that are typical adulting things i guess
it can b different for different ppl bc if someone never had to clean anything at home cleaning is adulting for them but for someone who has always had that responsibility it's not an Adulting Thing.

Having learned enough to understand the world and actively participate in it without anyone's help.

paying rent/mortgage/bills, taxes, learning to drive, living in your own house and paying for your own food.

but i guess in my mind it can also mean the birbs and the bees

A phrase adult-age individuals coined to make them feel special about doing everyday tasks.

I hate that phrase. I'm counting the days until this fad goes away.

Last edited:
I don't like the term adulting. It's weird. Plus I am an adult, so if I used it on myself, it makes me sound like a baby. Like I'm incapable of handling daily responsibilities.

I'll humor it. Pretending to be good at public speaking for presentations.

Adulting for me is paying taxes, filling out application forms after college for work, or basically any activity that'll be done for you future and such.

You don't eat as may lollies, and the search for anti-wrinkle cream begins.

Back