• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

End Racism On ACNL

Yvette

pal of frogs
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Hiya, guys. I made a petition today calling for Nintendo to add a feature that allows a player to choose their skin tone, versus being stuck with only one shade of white. The lack of representation for Nintendo's diverse group of players is, frankly, quite alarming, but we can do something to change it. Here's a link to my petition. Please sign it and spread the word about it! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/283/675/394/

Thank you :)

Edit 2: Hi all :D Firstly, thanks for the support this post (and my petition) has been receiving! Thanks to those who haven't supported it, as well, as your constructive criticism is appreciated :) For this update, I'm addressing the many who say that the lack of representation for players of other skin tones is not racism.

While this is certainly not even close to the extreme levels of racism many face nowadays, I do believe that it is racism. This kind of willful ignorance towards people of color is damaging and disrespectful, whether it was intended or not (and I doubt it was; I am not saying Nintendo as an entire company is racist, just that this single action is racist).

Secondarily, the main point I present in the end of my piece (written in the description of the petition) is that Nintendo has already updated the game once, yet didn't include a feature to choose your own skin tone- besides, it has been updated once, what would be so bad about doing it again?

Last edited:
I don't think you're allow to do this on here.

And by this I mean promoting something. I think I read somewhere that you should put links in your signature, not start a thread.

Last edited:
No problem. You should put the link in your signature. People will visit it if they are interested

I think it would be a little difficult to implement a feature like that. It's probably the only reason Nintendo made it so you had to tan in order to get a black look.

What sort of questions would Rover have to ask you to make you black? Do you eat chicken nuggets?

I could easily see people getting offended if they did it the wrong way. I'm willing to give them more time. After all, it took them long enough to work out men dressed as women sometimes.

I think it would be easy.
You can change hair and eyes.
Why not go black if you want!

The update allows your skin color to change according to your mii mask, not the same but it's something.

I think it would be a little difficult to implement a feature like that. It's probably the only reason Nintendo made it so you had to tan in order to get a black look.

What sort of questions would Rover have to ask you to make you black? Do you eat chicken nuggets?

I could easily see people getting offended if they did it the wrong way. I'm willing to give them more time. After all, it took them long enough to work out men dressed as women sometimes.

I have a feeling the new game is going to make it more like HHD when you set up your character... without the questions but straight up customisation. I hope at least. :/

They could give you the option to custamize your character like how it is in Happy Home Designer. Instead of being asked questions to determine your look, you get a custamization screen that allows you to pick the features you want.

Yeah, I agree there should be a skin tone option somewhere somehow. It really sticks out that there isn't one, I mean it's 2017 already. Come on, Nintendo. You can do it for Pok?mon, you can do it for ACNL.

You'd think they'd of done it in the update? :|

I hate 'tanning'. It's annoying and a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Considering Nintendo is a Japanese company and Japan is known for its lack of diversity, this isn't surprising to me. It's cool to see the skin tone feature being added to their games like in Pokemon. I'm sure they'll do a similar thing in future Animal Crossing titles.

You'd think they'd of done it in the update? :|

I hate 'tanning'. It's annoying and a pain in the ass.

Tanning is the worst! In all of my years of playing, I've never been able to get a tan once. I've tried hundreds of times and I do everything right, but nothing. Eventually I just gave up because it would never work

Tanning is the worst! In all of my years of playing, I've never been able to get a tan once. I've tried hundreds of times and I do everything right, but nothing. Eventually I just gave up because it would never work
You have to do it everyday to get effects but only in sunny summer days or the island which is annoying

i agree that we should be able to change our skin tone without having to tan our characters like hhd does, but i think calling it racist is a bit silly

Last edited:
I don't think it's outright 'racism', more laziness/ignorance on Nintendo's part.

I would love for this feature to be added. I've gotten very used to seeing my mayor tan this summer. I time traveled around a few days ago and lost my tan and it made me so tan. I'd love for my character to have a permanent skin tone that looked more like my skin tone. :(

As for how they'd add it to the game, I think it would be nice to have HHD customization options, but they could also just add a tanning booth to Shampoodle's so you can change whenever and still keep the idea of being "tanned". I'd be happy either way, so long as my mayor had a little color.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also I agree, it's not really racism since they aren't outright discriminating. They're just ignorant.

I think you're being a bit silly. New Leaf was released in 2013 - why would they change a fundamental part of the game now (would require the tanning system to change and a way for current players to update their skin)? I suppose we ought to recall all copies of AC GameCube, Wild World and Let's Go to the City while we're at it. Maybe you could focus your efforts on ensuring that different skin tones are a thing in AC Switch, but by the looks of Happy Home Designer they probably will be anyway.

I don't think you're allow to do this on here.

And by this I mean promoting something. I think I read somewhere that you should put links in your signature, not start a thread.

Nah, that's just to stop people saying "come, look at my Tumbl" and stuff like that. This, while I admit it is a grey area, ought to be fine.

I found this funnier than I should have.

In all of my years of playing, I've never been able to get a tan once. I've tried hundreds of times and I do everything right, but nothing. Eventually I just gave up because it would never work

Make sure you don't have a hat on and are standing in the sun for a couple hours. Not worth trying in my opinion.

Back