• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

are you good at school-ing

I get good grades, but it's just because I can memorize things; I wouldn't classify myself as smart.

I do pretty well in English, especially in AP Lang this year, since a lot of it was debating and argumentative writing. The sciences require more effort. Chemistry/Biology (the latter was taken last year) were both hard subjects for me, but I still pulled off As in them; they're the kind of classes where you have to work for your grade. For some weird reason, I've never had trouble with mathematics. I also like the subject. This year, I'd doze off during Pre-Calc for at least half of the time, but I still finished with a high grade, so that was lit, lol.

Whether or not you're good at "school-ing," though, you'll get where you need to go. :)

Last edited:
I've a Bachelor's degree, back in college preparing to take on a second, surely I should be good at this by now, right?

Not the case.

I'm only now really learning how to study because I just played to my strengths the first go around. Now I'm tackling a subject area I don't have a natural aptitude for (science) and my god I have to spend so many hours a night studying just to keep up. I love the content but it takes me a long time to get my head around it.

Last edited:
I was always really academic through high school - got A*/A in almost every class. Hit A-levels and felt like the learning style changed a lot, and therefore my grades did too. Had to put in a lot of extra work just to make up what I'd get by not studying and winging it in previous years. Then I got to university and the same has happened again.

Lecture-style learning definitely isn't for me and unfortunately I've just had to accept that, as it's how my degree is taught. Find it hard to concentrate sitting through an hour of just being talked at in a room with hundreds of other people. Have to put in a lot of work as a consequence to get an anywhere near decent grade.

i don't have an overall average grade bc that's not how my school system works, but we just get given grades (a few are lettered but most are numbered) for each individual subject and how well we're doing is based on how close it is to our end of year targets
in two subjects (english lit and sociology) i've met my challenge target for the end of next year (gcse result), which is an A*. i'd get into the rest but the new number system that they introduced for gcse is irritating and far too complicated than it needs to be

Back