Getting more depressed as you get older?

limiya

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Hi all, so I just wanted to ask and see if there's anyone else who has faced symptoms of getting more depressed as they got older? I was never really the happiest kid around or anything when I was younger, but I definitely have noticed my mental health deteriorating more and more as I got older, and although I have found ways to cope and to take care of myself better, I guess it's always nice to know you're not alone either, you know?

I am very lucky to have a really close-knit and supportive group of friends along with a very kind and gentle partner, but that doesn't really help at times whenever huge waves of depression just hit out of nowhere you know? Some days I feel just fine and I'm as happy as can be, and other days I wake up in the morning and just never want to get out of bed, let alone eat, shower, or just do anything. Idk, it's hard because as I'm getting older I now have to deal with more "adult" responsibilities, but some days just really feel like they aren't worth it.

I think it's very common to have worsening symptoms of depression (or many mental illnesses) as you get older. Personally, a few years ago my depression was quite bad but it's gotten more manageable since.

Well my depression has been the same for the past few years except a couple years ago I was kind of too anxious to be depressed if that makes sense. I think it's a common thing though.

OMG I know what exactly what you are talking about. Like it was bad when I was in my teens, but I noticed it significantly increasing in my late teens, and now worsening in my early twenties. All those symptoms you listed are pretty much how I feel randomly even if there is no particular reason. I often get suicidal thoughts as well. It is all about learning how to cope with it and find things that distract you, but I understand it is hard when you lose interest in things.

I work the same way. I can be so happy and feel like I'm getting better but then it just... smacks me in the face and I don't want to do anything. I would say that mine has gotten progressively better. I used to be depressed all the time, as of now it's not like that. When I fall into a pit of depression I always remind myself that these feelings are temporary and I will most likely be better in the morning. Hope this helps~

I've definitely noticed myself feeling more depressed as I got older. I think it's normal, since young adults are expected to get there life together so fast once they graduate high school and there are so many people who manage to figure stuff out but I definitely feel so behind for my age. I wish there was less pressure on young adults to get there life together as quick as possible - it's very stressful :(

It's nice seeing so many others who relate tbh. Like I see it with my friends too of course but it's just generally comforting to know you're not alone.

Don't worry. Your young adult years are the worst, as you're inbetween two very different parts of your life. Things will get easier as you do them more frequently, but never forget to talk with your group about it. Talking about these things is so important. Never shut yourself off. It's okay to feel the things you feel.

I'm sorry you have to go through all that, no one deserves it. I'm glad you have people to rely on, but if you ever need another person to vent to, feel free to message me anytime. :)

I've been enjoying being an adult. Sure, the responsibilities are crazy, and very new to me but it feels refreshing. I like being relied on, being my own person, rather than rely on others. It can get stressful though, yeah, so I totally get why you say the depression hits you hard. But trust me, you're not alone in this. :')

Back