• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Super NES Classic Edition - 20 games + Star Fox 2

JCnator

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
4227-4179-8894
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Poptart Easter Egg
Winter Mittens
Cake
In the wake of the overwhelming success of NES Classic Edition, Nintendo has just announced a follow-up to the popular micro-console: the Super NES Classic Edition has finally been unveiled. For $79.99 USD ($99.99 CAD), you can obtain this hardware starting on September 29th 2017 in both North America and Europe/UK, with 21 games!

Here's what you get with the SNES Classic Edition:

• The Super NES Classic Edition hardware
  • AC adapter (North America only)
  • USB Charging cable
  • Two wired SNES controllers (5 feet), which can also connect to Wii Remote
  • HDMI cable

And here are the games:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2 (unlockable by clearing the first level of the original Star Fox)
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island

In case you're interested getting one, Nintendo will produce significantly more SNES Classic Edition units than the NES ones did. The company also stated that it'll keep shipping those SNES Classic Editions until the end of 2017. Better get one ASAP if you want it!

I'm happy with the games that we'll be getting. The entire library covers a wide range of genres, and most of the games are really great. However, I can't help but notice some glaring omissions. Where's ActRaiser, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, SimCity, Super Mario All-Stars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time, and Tetris Attack?

I'm also wondering what version of Star Fox 2 will get... Dylan Cuthbert said he was playing the official finished version of the game while developing Star Fox Command, which currently isn't found in the Internet. It might be that particular version that's going to be released on SNES Classic Edition, which had some fixes that the near-final version lacked.

Source 1: http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic
Source 2: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...of_super_nes_classic_edition_but_only_in_2017
Source 3: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/a_totally_complete_version_of_star_fox_2_really_does_exist

Last edited:
Killer Instinct
Would need to get Microsoft & RARE involved to be able to put it on there, I'd imagine it being a big hassle if that's the case.

I'm also wondering if we're actually getting the full version of Star Fox 2... I remember Dylan Cuthbert saying that the version that's currently around the Internet is actually a beta version of it.
Pretty sure that the game was near to release back in the day, but due to the fact the SNES was pretty much on the end of its life cycle and the N64 was coming up, it never ended up being released.

Also if I recall, it was roughly at least 95% finished, I think all the game had left was to fix a few bugs, which most likely have been fixed for the Classic's release.

Would probably buy it alone for the Kirby and Mario games hnng. Don't think I should waste on it though since I don't play games a horrible lot nowadays.

I'm really happy that Secret of Mana got included. I hope I can get my girlfriend to play it with me.

Yeah I agree it's cool to see SoM on there, too bad no Evermore!

This has definitely piqued my interest! But considering the cost, and the fact that the game I'm most interested in I already have on the wii u virtual console I think I'll probably end up passing.

I already have the games I'm interested in on my Wii VC, I won't be chasing this down. It does look very nice though, I can see the appeal! ;)

This seems really good! I love that it includes Yoshi's Island and Kirby Super Star! I love those games! Granted, I played ports of them so it would be nice to play the originals.

These mini consoles are designed to be a taste of the games that were available on the original. So it makes sense that not EVERY game is available on it.

I already own physical copies of ALL of these games, plus a still working SNES console (a few of them actually), so I'll pass on this one.

Daaaang!! Consider this guy sold! I don't care how early I have to stand outside my local Target store!

Last edited:
Meanwhile in Japan, Nintendo has announced the Super Famicom as part of the Nintendo Classic Mini series. Just like its Famicom sibling, it'll feature a slightly different set of games.

Earthbound, Kirby's Dream Course, Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Castlevania IV and Super Punch-Out!! are not included in Super Famicom. Instead, they get:

• Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
  • Panel de Pon (known as Tetris Attack in North America)
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • Super Formation Soccer (pretty much the only Japanese exclusive title)
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nintendo_classic_mini_super_famicom_for_japan

Meanwhile in Japan, Nintendo has announced the Super Famicom as part of the Nintendo Classic Mini series. Just like its Famicom sibling, it'll feature a slightly different set of games.

Earthbound, Kirby's Dream Course, Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Castlevania IV and Super Punch-Out!! are not included in Super Famicom. Instead, they get:

• Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
  • Panel de Pon (known as Tetris Attack in North America)
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • Super Formation Soccer (pretty much the only Japanese exclusive title)
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nintendo_classic_mini_super_famicom_for_japan

I feel we got the best deal here tbh.

In the wake of the overwhelming success of NES Classic Edition, Nintendo has just announced a follow-up to the popular micro-console: the Super NES Classic Edition has finally been unveiled. For $79.99 USD ($99.99 CAD), you can obtain this hardware starting on September 29th 2017 in both North America and Europe/UK, with 21 games!

Retailers here in Sweden are charging 1500-1600 SEK which is just under 200 USD for the SNES Classic. Who needs scalpers, am I right?

Retailers here in Sweden are charging 1500-1600 SEK which is just under 200 USD for the SNES Classic. Who needs scalpers, am I right?

Okay, wow really and the NES one was way less. Better go search ebay lol :rolleyes:

More coverage on the SNES Classic alongside with preorders that went out quick (as disappointingly expected) begun cropping up recently. Here's some more details about it:

• Features all of the bells and whistles that the NES Classic had, plus with interchangeable borders to replace the stock black one and the ability to rewind space-time
  • The emulation quality is nearly up to par with the Wii U, albeit with less input lag
  • Even though both the packaging and the content of SNES Classic fully complies with Quebec's Bill 101, Nintendo of America won't ship any unit in this Canadian province for some reason

Welp, I'm from Quebec and easily going to miss out on the official complete version of Star Fox 2 for quite a long while. What a bummer. Though, I've played most of the games included in the hardware, so I'll be fine in the long run.

Last edited:
I wish they english patched Fire Emblem and gave it to NA but I assume that'd be a lot of work. By the way, JC, quite a few retailers have mentioned that they will definitely have extras on launch day if you're up to waking up early! One I've seen is Toys 'R Us, which usually has less lineup than places like Walmart or Gamespot/EB Games.

I wish they english patched Fire Emblem and gave it to NA but I assume that'd be a lot of work. By the way, JC, quite a few retailers have mentioned that they will definitely have extras on launch day if you're up to waking up early! One I've seen is Toys 'R Us, which usually has less lineup than places like Walmart or Gamespot/EB Games.

In terms of the lineup for Toys R Us, I've seen the lines back when the NES classic first came out and they were just as bad as any other big box retailer.
Still one of the better options though, not really the first thing people would think to get it at

I wish they english patched Fire Emblem and gave it to NA but I assume that'd be a lot of work.

That game is Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, which is not only a remake of the original Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light from Famicom (the Japanese NES hardware), but also introduced the sequel of the 8-bit outing. Both of them were remade once again for the Nintendo DS as Shadow Dragon and then New Mystery of the Emblem. The former is already localized worldwide, while the latter remained Japanese-exclusive.

By the way, JC, quite a few retailers have mentioned that they will definitely have extras on launch day if you're up to waking up early! One I've seen is Toys 'R Us, which usually has less lineup than places like Walmart or Gamespot/EB Games.

Well, for me, the closest Toys 'R Us store that isn't from Quebec province would be found at Moncton. I'd have to spend over 12 hours of round trip just for that, therefore spending investing more money for gas and stay at an hotel. Not sure I'd bother to afford at that price...

Back