• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Super NES Classic Edition - 20 games + Star Fox 2

So far I've only played around with the games I'm most familiar with. I'm really looking forward to play Earthbound (never played it) and Super Mario RPG (only played it in japanese) but I haven't had the time to dive into those ones yet.

I'm playing EarthBound for the first time and am LOVING it. I also need to dive into Super Mario RPG, but I have a strict one RPG at a time rule.

I'm playing EarthBound for the first time and am LOVING it. I also need to dive into Super Mario RPG, but I have a strict one RPG at a time rule.

i wouldnt worry about it, you'll get stuck in the forest maze for a week

I received my SNES Classic on wednesday and I really love it. I've noticed that there is some lag though. Nothing game breaking but it can get a bit annoying in games like Street Fighter and F-Zero where every frame counts.

[...]

Did you enabled the Game Mode on your TV? Did you deactivated every useless display processing feature? If you answer "No" to both of these questions, then that's why there's some noticeable input lag.

i wouldnt worry about it, you'll get stuck in the forest maze for a week

In order to finish that one part of the level, you need to follow the direction the blue-clad doll is taking most of the time. Though, in one of these areas, he'll leave you guessing where he went, since he won't even appear.

Looks like I won't be getting a SNES Classic anytime soon. My Walmart sent me an email days ago that they officially canceled my order. Ugh.

I've gotten much more interested in EarthBound since I learned that the creator of Undertale was very influenced by it.

I'm the same way. I just can't divide my attention between multiple RPGs.

Did you enabled the Game Mode on your TV? Did you deactivated every useless display processing feature? If you answer "No" to both of these questions, then that's why there's some noticeable input lag.
I'll have a look. I've got the console hooked up at my girlfriend's place because I don't even own a TV since my CRT died. Lol.

In order to finish that one part of the level, you need to follow the direction the blue-clad doll is taking most of the time. Though, in one of these areas, he'll leave you guessing where he went, since he won't even appear.

oh dont worry i foudn geno eventually by following tutorials but they were really confusing ones writen on fourms in '99 LOL. i just got lost so much and ragequit for a week fhjfhfjhf

I haven't noticed any lag with the SNES Classic myself, but I do currently have it hooked up to an HDMI compatible computer monitor, not a TV. Computer monitors don't tend to have the extra video processing on it that causes lag like newer TVs do.

I haven't gotten into playing any of the RPGs yet. I'm mostly working on Donkey Kong Country right now.

Also, I suck at Contra 3. I am convinced I am never going to beat this, even with practice, unless I abuse save states/rewind.

This noon, I've successfully placed an order for the coveted SNES Classic on Best Buy Canada in less than a minute after they restocked. The product still quickly sold out a bit afterwards, but everything went far more smoothly than my dramatic 2-weeks-old Walmart order. The best part is, they actually shipped mine within 4 hours! I can finally rest easy until I attempt to order the inevitable N64 Classic.

I'm also tempted to grab one more SNES Classic just to give it to one of my friends as Christmas present, considering on how desirable and difficult-to-obtain it really is.

Last edited:
^ You might want to when you can. I feel like it's going to get harder to get the closer it gets to Christmas, since people will get more desperate to find one as gifts.

^ You might want to when you can. I feel like it's going to get harder to get the closer it gets to Christmas, since people will get more desperate to find one as gifts.

I'm going to assume that Black Friday (November 24th) will be the point where SNES Classic would end up being far more difficult to snag. With that in mind, there's still more than a month left for a sizable restock to occur before that day. And even after the holiday season went by, Nintendo will still continue producing those units in early 2018 at very least.

So, my SNES Classic has arrived this noon, two days before its expected delivery date. Considering that it was shipped last Friday's afternoon, I never knew Canada Post would continue operating during weekends.

Needless to say, I've spent quite a bit toying around games on this microconsole. From what I've seen so far, the emulation quality definitely surpasses that of the Wii and especially Wii U, despite lacking a system-wide button mapping.
With Game Mode enabled without extra video processing, I find the input lag between the wired controller and TV seems to be practically nonexistant. It's worth mentioning that the official Wii U Virtual Console version of SNES games would always delay input for about 4 frames. The colors on SNES Classic are also noticeably more vibrant than any Virtual Console version of these titles.

The controllers that are included with the console are still as top-notch as many players stated over the Internet. It still has one of the best Control Pad I've ever used in any Nintendo product, alongside with the Wii Classic Controller one. Its size felt just right, it's difficult to accidentally hit any diagonal direction while you're actually holding left or right (I'm looking at you, Wii U GamePad and Switch Pro Controller), and you can slide from one side to another without too much inconvenience. Shame these SNES controllers doesn't have a HOME button to access to the menu without having to get up and hit the reset slider. Although it's something that the Wii Classic Controller could do, but its cord's pretty dang short!

Its user interface might not be something that the players would normally care, yet the one from the SNES Classic is so snappy that it makes a big difference. Here, I felt more compelled to boot the hardware and pick a game than I would with any modern video game console. And that is, once you've learned not to accidentally overwrite a save state.

So far, SNES Classic sold about 2 millions units worldwide, which is faster than the NES Classic ever did within a month. It's worth keeping in mind that the latter had much less units shipped and that Nintendo is scheduled to produce way more of these in Summer 2018.

Last Friday, I've managed to land one more Best Buy Canada order on SNES Classic, which shipped around Monday. Looks like my friend will end up receiving this one for Christmas! Now, I can finally stop worrying until another worthwhile Nintendo retro microconsole gets announced.

By the way, if you're seeking to significantly raises the odds of securing an online order for a SNES Classic, here's some tips based on my experiences:

- Don't bother purchasing anything as a guest! Log in/Register in as many online retailers that will stock SNES Classic as you can, and ensure your credentials (e.g. your address, credit card info) are functional and saved in your account. This preparation step is crucial, as this can potentially make or break your chance at scoring a unit.

- Learn the layouts of these websites from searching an article to finalizing your payment, so you'll memorize how to proceed. That way, you'll end up traversing through pages much quicker.

- If your website offers PayPal payment, absolutely favors this method over anything else! Assuming that your PayPal account is properly set up and that you're currently logged in, the website will pick up the address and the information of the credit/debit card you've chosen, therefore skipping a few clicks. That way, you'll save quite a significant amount of time.

- Favors desktop computer over mobile device. Trust me, the pinpoint accuracy of the computer mouse and larger screen estate are beneficial for navigating faster.

- Ensure that your Internet browser of choice goes through the pages as fast as possible.

- Follow a Twitter/Facebook account that is associated with the online store you're trying to obtain a SNES Classic, and seek for any message involving the product. Some of them may end up announcing when they'll stock these things, others won't tell you.

- There are certain websites and communities that will help you tracking for the product as soon as it goes online. NowInStock.net is a good example of that.

- If you know when said website will put a SNES Classic at whichever time, show up at least 15 minutes in advance to give yourself some time getting your account ready for purchase. You'll want to press F5 on your keyboard regularly around the time the product will show up, hoping to see a purchase/add in cart button becoming active.

- The moment the product is available, be quick! I know it's an obvious advice, but never underestimate on how blindingly fast that thing would sell out. It can take anytime between 30 seconds and 5 minutes to empty their allocated stock.

Last edited:
Back