Does the Amiibo Update really include that villagers won't move on paths?

Prisma

♡ Prism Power ♡
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
4775-0631-9214
New Horizons Token
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Purple Candy
Purple Violet
Purple Feather
I read it somewhere that villagers moving in won't place their houses down on paths.

I was wondering if this was true and if it could work with flowers or anything else? I really don't want to go through the hassle of covering my whole town for exact spots with designs then have to sweep them all away one by one.

They'll only move into 3x3 blank spots, which means they'll still destroy to one tile on front. ALSO if the entire town is covered in paths and there are no 3x3 spots, they'll just move wherever they want.

EDIT: Don't forget about spacing requirements either. Buildings/PWP need at least 2 spaces between each other and one space in between everything else (rocks, river, etc.)

Last edited:
So far I haven't had any problems with them moving in on paths since the update. What has worked for me is that before I start moving in a new villager I make it impossible to move in on most of the land by spreading patterns, but make sure to leave a couple of 3x3 plots like Apparition said or they'll just move wherever. If I didn't have so many hybrids and bushes etc that I want to protect I wouldn't lay so many patterns down, but if you have as many as I do and hate villager plotting I would recommend it haha.

There's something about only having a certain number of buildings (houses, etc) per acre also. i think it's like, 3 buildings per acre? I had my entire town covered in patterns (not like, 100%, i did a lot of diagonal lines and just making sure there were no 3x3 open spaces where I didn't want them) and the first 9 villagers move exactly where I wanted. but hte 10th refused to go in the open spot I had left for her and kept plotting down elsewhere on top of patterns. Turned out I had too many buildings already in the acre I wanted her Dx

There's something about only having a certain number of buildings (houses, etc) per acre also. i think it's like, 3 buildings per acre? I had my entire town covered in patterns (not like, 100%, i did a lot of diagonal lines and just making sure there were no 3x3 open spaces where I didn't want them) and the first 9 villagers move exactly where I wanted. but hte 10th refused to go in the open spot I had left for her and kept plotting down elsewhere on top of patterns. Turned out I had too many buildings already in the acre I wanted her Dx

Yesss I hate this so much. Soooo confusing.

Yesss I hate this so much. Soooo confusing.

It was so disappointing when I found out, because my plan had them plotted in nice symmetry. x_x I make gridded maps of my towns to plan on so I can see the acres, so next time I'll know better lol

I haven't had any issues since the update plotting my villagers. I believe it does work so they dont plot on paths.

Back