• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Japanese town ideas?

Mayor_Rosabela

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Hi everyone! I hope you're having a wonderful day.
Was just curious if anyone had any ideas or inspirations for a Japanese town.
I started up a new game and that's my goal for this town but I could use some tips.
Thanks in advance. ^-^

Besides the obvious zen PWP and exteriors renovations, I found that using natural looking paths look great in japanese towns: cobble stone paths, wood plank paths, etc. If you're not going for straight up japanese-asian looking villagers (kabuki, pekoe etc), then natural/woodsy villagers will look nice too! Maybe you can stick to a specific flower scheme instead of all the colours of the rainbow.. I think the really colourful flower combinations suit modern/fairytale but not japanese/zen. Good luck with your new town!

Last edited:
I like some of the zen garden path QR codes. The larger rocks and the tiny pebbles. Having those mixed with bamboo would look nice!

I'd also look at images of some Japanese shrines or gardens for landscaping ideas. :)

Along with everything dizzy bone said, I would also recommend using some of the zen items and DLC in your house :) the zen items are accessible from welcome amiibo villagers so you can get zen furniture from them, or you could easily buy some from someone else.

You could make a bamboo forest with a shrine like the one in Arashiyama, Kyoto:

bamboo-forest-at-night.jpg

Generally, apart from natural tones like wood and greens, many old Japanese buildings/cultural objects also include the colours white, black and red (like white paper doors, red torii, or look at noh masks and stuff like that). So if you don't want to focus only on wood and plants, those colours would be a good fit for a Japanese theme.
If you want to look at more Japanese towns and shrines for inspiration, try to look up Nara, Kyoto (Fushimi Inari Taisha looks great too, especially the upper parts of the shrine on the mountain), and rural villages that are known for their pretty scenery like Kiso, Nagiso/Tsumago-juku, Nakanojo, Hayakawa, etc...

Some Japanese inspired town names could be:
-Sakura (cherry blossom)
-Sora (sky)
-Tsubomi (flower bud)

these are just some of my favorites but feel free to find other Japanese words.

Some Japanese inspired town names could be:
-Sakura (cherry blossom)
-Sora (sky)
-Tsubomi (flower bud)

these are just some of my favorites but feel free to find other Japanese words.

Ooh yes! I really like the word Tsubasa (wing) as well. It gives a fresh feeling. Maybe even Mori (forest). The cool thing about mori is that it's in Animal Crossing's name in Japanese.

Pekoe has a japanese house, Gaston too if I remember correctly
There's a lot of asian PWPs, and bamboos are great!

I'm also doing a Japanese town! Greta isn't popular the way Pekoe is, but she is a geisha mouse (and very cute IMO.) There's also Annalisa (geisha anteater), Gladys (tancho crane), Zucker (takoyaki), Drago, Ken (ninja chicken). Fauna and Sparro would also look very nice. If you wanted, Midge could work too...her Japanese name is Uzumaki, haha. Bit of a stretch though. :p

I named my town Edo, after the old capital of Japan during the feudal period. I love Japanese history...and the Ganbare Goemon series. So I'm trying to give my town an old, yet kind of wacky feeling to it if that makes sense. Not sure how helpful this is also, but the game Chulip on PS2 is set in a very Japanese village and has offered some inspiration to me. Hope this helps! I haven't had any pwps that I want suggested to me aside from the stone tablet so my town probably won't be very inspirational haha.

I think Drago would bring a nice touch... and of course the zen PWP. Good luck!!!

Back