• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I accidentally bought a phone...

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Apple 🍎
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
How, you say? Well I was at a Wireless Wave kiosk because I wanted to have my first look at the Galaxy S8 and they had one at their booth. I kept my earphones on so that no salesperson would talk to me. Oh boy, how I underestimated salespeople... This Chinese man (it's relevant) with a heavy accent started talking to me anyway.. And the thing is, he was already talking as if he had made a sale from me! Eventually I was pressured into buying it and signing a 2 year contract.. And paying for stuff that I didn't know what they were even for because I couldn't really understand what he was saying and I was embarrassed to keep asking, "Sorry? Pardon? I didn't get that?" etc. I have social anxiety and I wanted it to be over... Anyway.. So that's how I ended up with a more expensive monthly plan and a new phone.. Either way, I'm not too angry with myself because I needed a new phone anyway, and this was the phone I really wanted (although I was trying to decide between this or an iPhone - just for compatibility with iTunes and my MacBook). It's a really great phone and I've already got attached! (Well, I had to think positive or else I'd cry about the extra $20 loss each month haha)

Question: Have you ever got suckered into buying something you didn't want to buy because a salesperson was being incredibly persistent?

Surprisingly no. I'm very nice and I decline them gently but it's always my mom who gets roped in. I end up having to grab her and yell "NO THANK YOU" to the saleperson so my mom wont waste anymore money than she already does haha. Your situation seemed to work out decent in the end for the most part! At least you actually needed a new phone!

Thankfully no but my mom's ex boyfriend once pressured me to let one of the ladies at the kiosk for the really expensive hair straighteners straighten my hair, I only figured out later it was because he was going to buy me something I had pointed out earlier that I wanted for my birthday, but I hated every second of it... the lady was going on and on and I was just like "mmhmm, oh wow, yeah..." while she straightened my hair. Didn't help it was summer and I didn't want the straightener near me and my hair got instantly frizzy and was sticking to my face the rest of the day.=/

I usually avoid those kiosks at malls. There's a reason too because they're so damn pushy and persistent. I also think a lot of them can be scammy.

I usually act like I'm interested because I don't want be an outright jerkwad and especially if they end up stalling me. Sadly I can be easily lured by samples (oops!) and once I get turned off by the long rambles of, "You use this twice and voila! You have a beautiful pineapple!" or whatever crap they spew.

I reply very curt, "Thanks but I'm not interested" and I book it.

No, but my mom did. We were in the dolphin shopping mall and 2 incredibly annoying people wouldn't stop talking to us so we'd buy expensive dead sea products. I was very uncomfortable and wanted to leave, but my mom started talking with them and wouldn't stop. She ended up wasting over $400 in stupid creams. I was so infuriated!

I usually avoid those kiosks at malls. There's a reason too because they're so damn pushy and persistent. I also think a lot of them can be scammy.

I usually act like I'm interested because I don't want be an outright jerkwad and especially if they end up stalling me. Sadly I can be easily lured by samples (oops!) and once I get turned off by the long rambles of, "You use this twice and voila! You have a beautiful pineapple!" or whatever crap they spew.

I reply very curt, "Thanks but I'm not interested" and I book it.

My go to line is "Oh yeah that sounds great but I have to go ask ____" and then I walk off because I hate them all. I now only go to the kiosks where you can play with toys. XD

My go to line is "Oh yeah that sounds great but I have to go ask ____" and then I walk off because I hate them all. I now only go to the kiosks where you can play with toys. XD

I think I only go for food, like dippin' dots. �� But yeah, if I see anything that deals with hair/electronics, I'm power walking passed.

I think I only go for food, like dippin' dots. �� But yeah, if I see anything that deals with hair/electronics, I'm power walking passed.

I always HAVE to get a bubble tea when I'm at the mall. BUT WHERE DO THEY HAVE DIPPIN DOTS AT A MALL? The only place I find Dippin Dots is at theme parks. =[[[

I'm a patient yet firm person. If someone starts trying to force a sale or something upon me, I can guarantee you that they win't succeed.

No, I just ignore those salespeople, and if they really feel it's fun to follow you I just yell "no" or something. I guess it's a job among other things but really those small scam kiosk should be forbidden.

No, I just ignore those salespeople, and if they really feel it's fun to follow you I just yell "no" or something. I guess it's a job among other things but really those small scam kiosk should be forbidden.

The only good ones are the ones with phone cases and the ones with toys

No, well, not yet at least :p But I came kinda close to it!
I was at a comic con with my little brother. It was near closing time on the last day it was running, and there was this stand that sells "cheap" paintball tickets. I've seen them in malls here heaps and always actively avoid them, but my brother being young and not knowing about them walks up to them just trying to be friendly. I wasn't mean enough at this stage to just take my bro away and leave, then this paintball guy started talking to me. And I talked back, because y'know, being nice, even though I knew he'd try to sell me stuff. He got real desperate to sell me these paintball tickets. He started off with all these "amazing" deals and stuff, and after he had finished I kinda tried to end the conversation. But then he tried talking to my brother as was like "hey isn't this cool?! Wouldn't this be a cool as birthday present??", and my brother awkwardly said yes. Then this guy turned to me and said about having a cool birthday present for my son. I contemplated whether to tell him or not that he was my brother not my son, and I went with telling him that he was my brother thinking it would make it super
awkward and he might back off. All it did was make him super embarrassed but still tried to sell me them - he even added in a bonus sheet of tickets. But I literally told him that I'm a broke student and could not afford it.

I'll give it him that he gave a fabulous sales pitch, but I was not buying it at all.

The only good ones are the ones with phone cases and the ones with toys

No, they are pretty low budget and gross here so I avoid 'em tbh.

Yeah, it depends on the salesperson. I've had some pretty pushy ones, arrogant ones but also really cool ones from those sorts of stalls. I met this really cool dude who saw that I'd brought amiibo's from EB Games and we had a little fangirl session about Nintendo stuff haha.

Well most here are just pretty shady people with cheap stuff so no, sorry not talking to them lol...

Yeah, it depends on the salesperson. I've had some pretty pushy ones, arrogant ones but also really cool ones from those sorts of stalls. I met this really cool dude who saw that I'd brought amiibo's from EB Games and we had a little fangirl session about Nintendo stuff haha.

Same. The best dude I met had a ton of toys, a bunch of RC things mostly, and he had one of those RC flying sharks and I was like ERMURGERD! He flew it over to me and bopped me with it and I was in love! He was working really hard to sell me one but I was just like nah. Then I went home and bought it for cheaper online. =D Sadly our dog killed him but he lasted a really long time.

Typically if I'm on the fence about something and a salesperson keeps pushing it drives me away from the product, so no.

No, they usually mistake me for a child and leave me alone. Only there was once a modeling agency scouting models at the mall. And since it was for adults and teens, I got pulled off to the side and told I was pretty, would I consider? I said I'm not interested like 20 times and then my anxiety kicked in and I was like, fine, whatever. So I went to their orientation a few months later and was about to audition for something I didn't even want to do. And all of a sudden I just burst into tears and ran out the door. The End.

****ing. lush. stepping into lush you have to accept that you WILL buy something, because ths taff are just so nice and so good at selling so that you end up buying. literally i could go into lush for a lib balm and end up with shower bubble bath, skin cream, hair masks, etc.

also at comicon one of the artists was really nice and sold me on getting a commission from her (which i dont regret!) but wow...im always in awe of people who manage to sell me stuff without just being Pushy Salesperson™ because ?? how do you do that please teach me.

i dont like the ones that harass you tho

Back