vegan trash
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
8399-8164-2698
Island
Redwoods
so to the bone comes out next month and it's focus is on eating disorders. after everything with 13 reasons why (including a copycat suicide happening) I'd like to know what people think about netflix's new take on mental illness.

personally, I do think there needs to be more on mental illness, but netflix aren't doing it the right way. I watched 13 reasons why (I knew I shouldn't have but I'm a self destructive piece of ****) and I was left feeling badly triggered and the aftermath was definitely not fun for me. I am aware there was trigger warnings but netflix were told not to show the r*pes / suicide on screen as it is both triggering and gives people ideas, but they did it anyway.
Even the trailer for to the bone has triggered me (I'll probably still watch it though bc as I said before, self destructive piece of ****), and I find it cruel and disgusting that they hadn't Lilly Collins, someone who had preciously suffered with an ED, lose weight for the role (yes she could have turned it down but eating disorders never 100% go away and having someone who's recovered lose that weight again is dangerous)
I would like to see how they portray this side of mental health issues, but at the same time, after 13 reasons why, I do not have high hopes

i'm also not really sure about how 'To The Bone' will turn out, but judging from the fact that the producer/writer AND the main actress suffered from eating disorders in the past, I do think this will be better than '13 Reasons Why.'
let's hope! :blush:

- - - Post Merge - - -

what i mean is that because both have been through the struggle, they're more likely to portray ED's with a more honest light, rather than romanticizing it, which happens a lot. i think as survivors of the struggle, they will know where to draw the line and how to portray EDs.

As somebody who does not suffer from a mental illness, I watched and "enjoyed" 13 Reasons Why as what it was intended to be - an overwhelmingly sad story. That's only because I don't have the triggers that others do so I didn't feel anything besides sorrow and empathy for Hannah's family. However, I can see why those who have struggled with mental illness wouldn't appreciate the show and I 100% support that Netflix should never have gone that far in showing those scenes. It was completely unnecessary - we all knew what happened, we didn't need to see it to feel the emotion and understand her depression.

From what I can tell, To the Bone seems different because it's about recovery. 13 Reasons Why starts with you knowing that Hannah will go through with her suicide. Hopefully To The Bone will be received better from those who suffer with EDs since it's about the struggle but also focuses on getting help and getting better. Overall, I feel like the success of these types of shows depends on the reaction from the people who relate to the characters.

i dont know why netflix is lately showing series of teenage problems like suicide , bullying , anorexia , etc. but they are surely doing it in a wrong way.

I managed to get through 13 Reasons Why right up to the last episode when they showed Hannah's suicide. I nearly relapsed and I really struggled for a few days afterwards. It wasn't great, but I appreciated the gesture and they certainly didn't have ill intentions with it. Let's just hope they don't trigger the young population with this next one.

Was there really a copycat suicide though?
If there was, this can't be blamed because there are warnings before the episodes that contain potentially upsetting material and to feel influenced to commit suicide by something, you would need to be suicidal or be considering suicide beforehand.

I have anxiety and attempted suicide while the 13 reasons why trend was going on. I saw the 'triggering' bit, and it genuinely put my life in danger. Friends of mine who have had ED are really worried about to the bone... so am I. I wish they'd show the disgusting parts of mental illness, instead of glamorising it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thing is though, just because you're not mentally ill now, doesn't mean you wont be in 5 years. With a few changes, that scene would had been safe, it was way too graphic to be shown to the public.

I have anxiety and attempted suicide while the 13 reasons why trend was going on. I saw the 'triggering' bit, and it genuinely put my life in danger. Friends of mine who have had ED are really worried about to the bone... so am I. I wish they'd show the disgusting parts of mental illness, instead of glamorising it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thing is though, just because you're not mentally ill now, doesn't mean you wont be in 5 years. With a few changes, that scene would had been safe, it was way too graphic to be shown to the public.

It was as graphic as it was because it was not sugarcoating suicide.

I don't have netflix, and only heard about that 13 something show through overheard conversations at school. It's nice that depression is no longer a taboo subject so shows like it can be made, but i don't think netflix is the correct place for those shows.

It was as graphic as it was because it was not sugarcoating suicide.

it didn't have to be graphic to not sugarcoat it, they were told not to explicitly show the suicide due to the triggering nature, I've seen so many movies containing suicide that doesn't sugarcoat it nor do they explicitly and graphically show it. There was a right way and a wrong way to handle the situation and 13 reasons why definitely did it the wrong way

I get they didn't need to show the suicide so graphically, but like 13 episodes of knowing Hannah Baker was dead was probably a big enough warning to know we were gonna see her die and I feel like if people know it could affect them in a negative manner they should try their best to avoid it..

- - - Post Merge - - -

And along with the trigger warnings idk what else they could've done to warn people.

But yeah, Ill give The Bone a go and hopefully it will be good

it didn't have to be graphic to not sugarcoat it, they were told not to explicitly show the suicide due to the triggering nature, I've seen so many movies containing suicide that doesn't sugarcoat it nor do they explicitly and graphically show it. There was a right way and a wrong way to handle the situation and 13 reasons why definitely did it the wrong way

It would be sugarcoating if it wasn't graphic. The reason I was upset or "triggered" by the scene was because it was graphic. But it was my favourite scene because it made me remember in fine detail how I felt when I was where Hannah was and nailed the message back in that there is nothing worth ending your life over.

The series also showed explicit scenes of rape and sexual assault. There was also vigilant warnings before the first episode and every episode that contained potentially upsetting content that it did contain that content, even episode 13. If that didn't bump in the message that it was going to be a 'no-bull****' show, then... why watch it?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think if I were as emotionally and mentally fragile as I was when I was, say, 12 or 13, I would've almost definitely tried to harm myself over this. It goes without saying that if you are easily triggered, then it's best to pass up on watching it.

Last edited:
Back