• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Too shy?

Soenatte

from the forest
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
6495-1019-0417
Winter Mittens
So... this has been bothering me for a short while so I thought I should share... I'm actually quite sheltered when it comes to this game... Don't get me wrong I love it to pieces, it's why I've been playing it all these years... but I don't really visit anyone's towns and I never let anyone visit mine due to its incomplete, flower-overran, work in progress nature, and the idea of Club Tortimer is actually a little scary to me.

Granted I'm not a little kid so I have no excuse to feel this way... Maybe it's because I don't really have any "friends" that play this game that I know of (IRL or otherwise) that it makes me feel... excluded? In a way? Does this make sense to anyone or am I just rambling? I'm not this way in real life so I don't understand why I feel so awkward when it comes to this game...

Perhaps it is just shyness :) My only IRL friend who used to play with drifted away from me which left me with nobody to play with. I'm not necessarily shy so I make some good friends on the island sometimes. But anyways, I think it's normal to feel that way when trying to make friends with stranger that you don't know anything about! And an incomplete town is no biggie :D Just try to find a conversation starter and BAM! cool friends (ᵔᴥᵔ)

I personally think that the beauty of the game is having this little space for yourself that only you know
I have a sister who plays too, but we never visit each other's town because even though it's a great game we can't really feel "close" in this game, i don't know if you understand what I mean ^^'
Anyway what i want to say is that even if you'd spend all day inviting people or going somewhere, the game would be the same as it is, because in my opinion it's supposed to be a game more for you to enjoy it than with other people
And it's normal to get bored after a while, especially if you keep playing and don't "get" what you want to do
So I'd suggest you to focus on your town, on making it complete as you wish, and then there's plenty of people who'd love to spend time with you in your town, that way you won't feel like this anymore :D

I totally feel the same way. I've had people over for trades etc. but not to just 'hang out.' I feel like my town isn't complete enough, but mostly I feel like I won't have anything to talk about.

I used to get sooo nervous whenever someone came over for a trade, palms sweaty and all, but thankfully after trading so often it doesn't happen nowadays. I agree with Fuzzle.Sophie, focus on your own town for now and get it looking fancy AF until you feel okay with someone coming over.

As for Club Tortimer? Well, you're unlikely to meet anyone there anyway ;)

Last edited:
Hmm, I understand what you're getting at. I'm pretty sheltered when it comes to this game too, but it's only because I choose to be. With the mention of Club Tortimer, it's unlikely you're to meet some lifelong friends there anyway, as most of them are just trolls. You're not really missing out on much I don't think. I used to play with somebody online quite often, and there's not even all that much to do if you really think about it. Except visit eachother's towns and look around or go to the island. Even with those activities, you still find yourself running out of things to do. So I wouldn't feel too down haha.

Last edited:
So... this has been bothering me for a short while so I thought I should share... I'm actually quite sheltered when it comes to this game... Don't get me wrong I love it to pieces, it's why I've been playing it all these years... but I don't really visit anyone's towns and I never let anyone visit mine due to its incomplete, flower-overran, work in progress nature, and the idea of Club Tortimer is actually a little scary to me.

Granted I'm not a little kid so I have no excuse to feel this way... Maybe it's because I don't really have any "friends" that play this game that I know of (IRL or otherwise) that it makes me feel... excluded? In a way? Does this make sense to anyone or am I just rambling? I'm not this way in real life so I don't understand why I feel so awkward when it comes to this game...

I'm the same.
I stay at home almost all the time, due to social phobia's and decades of chronic anxiety.
It's like being a prisoner in your own body.

I feel shy when I visit a town, or someone visits me. I can't help it.
It gets easier on here, because the people are really nice. ^_^

Well club tortimer is scary. You don't know if you'll meet a jerk or a nice person. When I first went there, someone sorta blocked my exit, I freaked and flipped the switch. Looking back they were digging through their inventory and I just overreacted.

I was really nervous when I first traded on here. I'm someone that plays with IRL friends only and here I am, very anxious playing with online people. Kids aren't the only ones who still feel scared over the little things. Adults can feel scared too.

My little sister is the only person who I let run around my town. My best friend plays it, but we don't visit each other much unless we have something the other person needs.

Just remember, you have the power. Just flip your wifi switch if someone is being a bad person.

I remember the first time I went to CT. I used my alt character Snow White, and this girl starts telling me I'm not Snow and have no right dressing as her. I remember getting offended and leaving right away. Lol. I told her she was rude before I left. It seems so silly to me now. She was probably very young. Now I don't mind any of the trolls or beggars, etc. They amuse me. However, I don't like it when they ask for my FC, because I don't want to hurt their feelings when I tell them "no".

As for hanging out with online friends, well I just don't. I only trade with other players. I guess I prefer to play alone.

i'm also very shy and i don't like to really hang out with people online. that's okay. it's your town and your game. play how you like and that's what counts

I also don't have any IRL friends that play Acnl so that made playing kinda lonely. As well as being shy it was really hard playing online with others also taking with with them kinda awkward at first. But playing for 4 years now it has make me come out of my shell a bit.
Also I love CT, I found the people on their really funny and nice, although u do get the odd people that are just jerks, the only thing that i hate about it is that when people ask for FC, it makes me feel like awful when i tell them no.

I am also the only one from my age that playes ACNL. I trade with people but I would not go to club Tortimer or just visit someone else his town just for fun.

lol i'm the opposite. even when i first had WildWorld I would sneak onto my ds at night past bedtime just to play with my irl friend and our internet friend.
i'm very shy irl but if i find an acquaintance has animal crossing i get excited and ask to visit each other's towns. its how i started a friendship with someone my first year of college xD and even sometimes when i'm hanging out with my boyfriend we will grab our DSes and just go to the island together lol. Animal crossing and chill
tumblr_inline_mhjjjloO1P1qz4rgp.gif

I used to be like that when I first started playing. I'd never visit peoples towns, let people visit or go to Club Tortimer but after a while, I realized I needed other people to complete my catalog and get items I couldn't get by myself. For me personally, it became more fun when I opened myself up to it. I still prefer playing by myself but I'm not against people visiting my town anymore. You can play however you want.

I know how you feel honestly. It might just be shyness and there is nothing wrong with that. I have social anxiety so I always get scared letting people into my town that they may judge it since everything is such a mess right now, and when trading I always get nervous communicating with the other person. One time I was so nervous I said "cya" and then walked into their town hall instead of train station, then I left while they were trying to tell me something, which had to do with that I forgot to take an item I requested. Good thing they were understanding and let me come back and still gave me a positive rating, but point is that you are not alone.

I get this x100
All my irl friends abandoned me so I don't have any friends.
I never played acnl with anyone until a few days ago maybe a week because I didn't have wifi.
It's much different playing with others. If you find good people to play with it really really helps though. It's just finding someone who clicks with you.

Back