Floral Inspiration

ashubii

Dream Weaver
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
White Pansy
I have seen so many questions over time asking for ideas on what flower breeds/colors go well together, and while the answer to that is very subjective I always find myself looking for more and more inspiration and ideas. Sometimes flowers/colors just fit together so perfectly (like yellow violets and pink cosmos – one of my favorite combinations), but other times while landscaping I get frustrated with trying to figure out how best to match flowers to my town and villager houses.
While looking for inspiration I've always focused solely on in-game flowers and how other people might put things together, but I've never sought ideas outside of Animal Crossing (I know, right? Seems like such an obvious thing to do!)

So recently I went on Pinterest and found images and color palettes that inspired me to try with my flowers in-game! Most I've used and considered before, but seeing them in a different form sort of made me more interested in actually trying the combinations. I'm sharing them here on the chance someone else needs inspiration or ideas. Feel free to post your own ideas or images, too~!
This is mostly for colors, but some of the images resemble the breeds we have in-game too.

I thought it'd be easier to put each picture in a spoiler because some are a little large, but I can change this if needed!

tumblr_inline_mpkwewi6KP1qz4rgp.gifFlower Color Inspiration tumblr_inline_mpkwgwkH851qz4rgp.gif

85998d4522df5ab6fbe486e81f026243.jpg

Purple and yellow are not two colors I've ever actually tried, but seeing them like this they look really good to me! Maybe purple pansies and sun cosmos? Or purple violets and sun cosmos? I think violets and cosmos already look good together!

2cb590a4a89a024f6502b3c115a08ce7.jpg

Similar to the first image, but this one is a bit more orange than yellow. This has a really strong autumn/fall feel, and I actually think the creepy set might have some orange/purple tones in it? It'd be a good combo for Halloween themes!

7d4e8bb5c779e2f726750064a5d2152b.jpg

Pretty sure this is the last purple/orange combo I have to share. I liked this one in particular because the color seemed softer with the tulips. I'm not sure how it would look in-game, though!

e7d93f74b8e0fc4db1ea17b83c6c6d90.jpg

This is a very classic color combo to me. I've seen beautiful bouquets of white lilies and red roses, so I like pairing those together in game! Red/white carnations/roses all look great together as well, as do tulips. White looks pretty great with everything :p

ca5a80516f19512e09a4eff3159fb4d7.jpg

This is another kind of obvious combination to me. Pinks and purples look super lovely together, especially in fairytale towns. I especially like mixing blues and whites in with them!

e3a19d164842f4b170c1e99f3a17e8d5.jpg

Adding this one, because red & orange are two colors I hadn't considered combining before. I'm not sure how it'll look in game, but right here the autumn tones are really pleasing.

a02e561c619dc0efe176b575b07d70e3.jpg

I actually have tried pairing blue roses with yellow roses before, and I did not like the result... however, this image makes me wonder if blue violets and sun cosmos would work better?

I thought I had more pictures than that, but maybe it's a good thing I don't xD. I hope this wasn't too long or unnecessary, but again, feel free to share images or ideas of your own~ People like me always appreciate it!

Last edited:
Here's another! This one makes me interested to try roses with cosmos, two breeds I've never considered combining before! At least not in these colors. I'm certain I've put purples and pinks of all flowers together at some point or another.
071b5ff6d400453609cce5710c9bc1dd.jpg

- - - Post Merge - - -

These are beautiful! ^-^

Aren't they? I'm looking forward to trying the combos once I have more hybrids!

- - - Post Merge - - -

i like the 2nd one

Me too! Purple violets and orange cosmos perhaps?

I like all of these combinations but I love the #2 the most.

I've had 4 and 5 in two different towns. White lilies with red roses look great in towns.

Pink and purple tulips look amazing too.

I'm really tempted to add purple to my orange and yellow flowers. I tried it once before. This post really makes me want to change up my flowers now...

Complementary colors will "always" look good together (because hey, eye science and color theory) so red - green, orange - blue, as well as the afforementioned purple - yellow is a standard safe to fall back to. Grab a nice colorwheel and match every color to its opposing one and you're set to go.

Other combinations would include: magenta - green, cyan - red, blue - yellow.

Me and my daughter love mixing purple and yellow in our real life garden. I also really like the pink and orange together. My Critters town has an area with red and yellow roses. It's kind of a strange combo, but I love it.

Thanks for all the ideas!

I think the main problem I tend to have is that if I don't have a set color scheme for the entire town, I sometimes struggle with matching flowers to villager homes. There are so many ways to go about it, and I'm never full satisfied. Generally I try to match either the door+roof, or exterior wall+door/roof. Or maybe a bit of all three?

My Farm town has a lot of mixed colors in certain areas. Pretty much every color and flower in the game. It looks really pretty. I made sure not to put the same colors next to eachother. It reminds me of a wildflower garden. Similar to the one I have in real life.

This is a very innovative thread, I especially like the combination of the red and white lillies! They look very elegant but pretty to me. It's a combination i've been wanting to try out in new leaf for a while actually. :rolleyes:

This is a very innovative thread, I especially like the combination of the red and white lillies! They look very elegant but pretty to me. It's a combination i've been wanting to try out in new leaf for a while actually. :rolleyes:

You should! I saw the combination in a real life bouquet of red roses with white lilies and that sold me on it. It's a very elegant and somewhat romantic sort of combo!

And also, thank you! I hope it continues to be innovative and filled with more ideas~!

- - - Post Merge - - -

My Farm town has a lot of mixed colors in certain areas. Pretty much every color and flower in the game. It looks really pretty. I made sure not to put the same colors next to eachother. It reminds me of a wildflower garden. Similar to the one I have in real life.

I think I visited your farm town a looong time ago, but when I get the dream suite built in the town im working on i will again! A wildflower garden sounds beautiful *_*

Back