• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The tarantulas though.....

Two nights ago I ran into a scorpion and last night I ran into a tarantula. I've honestly been having the worst luck, especially because both time I was actually looking for them and they managed to sneak up on me and I didn't manage to catch either one. :(

When I find them I panic because I want to catch them but my town is so full of stuff like don't mess up noooo it's gone.

Can I be honest? I love spiders... I read about them and all... And this is ONE THING I HATE from ACNL... 1st of all, tarantulas would NEVER bite you just like they do in-game. Actually all spiders are sort of cowards, they'd rather run and hide than sting you and fight. Second, tarantulas bites are NOT poisonous in any way. (majority of them, lol) They rather scare you by looking threatening and make you go (and they'd run away too) than fight.
IDK... as a fan of spiders (and I have like 15 in my backyard and I just go and stay 1/2 hour watching them and stalk them with my magnifying glass, they seriously are cowards.
So... I wish ACNL (and all Nintendo's IPs) would stop scaring EVERYONE with spiders who, honestly, 95% of them are benevolent, awesome and scared of you. (It's like bats!)

This. I love tarantulas in real life but I hate them in the game. I've never been able to catch them because they always give me a shock in the game but I've held plenty in real life. I have yet to come across one this season but I'm definitely arming myself with a net at all times... I'll be ready -_-

One attacked me yesterday while I was fishing during the solstice.
And Bonbon had the nerve to ask, "Hey Armin, could you catch me a tarantula?"
I'm pretty biased about bugs in general, but man, why do they have to be so frightening in this game?

I didn't know people were so scared of this game..

heh thank god i got a winter themed town now... i ****ing hated these things in AC City Folk... they were the thing that made me quit AC

Yeah, I had one spawn outside my house. So you could imagine my fear when I loaded up the game, and started being chased immediately. What makes it worse is at night the game is incredibly eerie sounding, and looking so it takes a lot out of you when you walk outside your house to be greeted by one. It's made me jump more than once tbh. Did you manage to catch it? I did, which I got quite lucky with tbh. I could never catch them in older games. Also, it was probably light in your town because it's was the summer solstice which means it's light outside all day. :D

I remember the first time I encountered one, I forgot they even existed in the game. Scared the ever living crap out of me.

Absolutely terrifying if you ask me. I love spiders IRL, but not in-game.

I was running with my net out (Fun fact if you are hunting tarantulas and/or Scorpions they won't attack you unless they see you with your net out. You must sneak up from behind to catch them. Scope without net. Catch with.) and at this time I had more trees in my town than Viridian Forest, so I didn't even see the darn thing. I ran close to it and it jumped at me. Scared the living mess out of me.

Animal Crossing in June-July becomes a horror game past 7:00. I don't care what month it is I still WALK at night instead of run.

That first attack messed with my head. I jumped at every sound that night.

At first I freaked out and ran the other way. Once I figured out how you catch them I was fine with them in my town.
I just let them be. I loved watching it circle my feet while I fished. It disappeared into the ground.

One night I noticed something black moving behind the tree. I was about to pull out the net and it was just Lolly tail.
The first year when I was learning how to catch one I noticed that the bug kept spawning near a tree and disappearing into it.
Got the axe and started chopping and a beehive dropped. While I was getting stung a tarantula spawned.

I understand what everybody means. Tarantulas are hell, and due to Stupid Summer Solstice, we literally get jumpscared by them brats. Next month, we have both tarantulas and scorpions visiting us. But normally, what I do is either:
Change Ordinance - I have the Night Owl (Late Night) ordinance on, and every ordinance enacted will not stop you from getting away from tarantulas. I really didn't want to change my ordinance, but in the end it seemed that if I want to survive at night, then it's best to put the Beautiful Ordinance on. From my actual experience, the tarantulas still do come with this ordinance, but the chances of them spawning has lessened a bit. Plus, some good sides about the Beautiful ordinance is that the chance of getting weeds are rare, flowers don't wilt, villagers always plant flowers and cockroaches never appear. Also, when TTing, weeds barely even show up after a couple of years. It's great.
Time Travelling - If you are desperate not to change your ordinance for whatever reason, then just Time Travel. When it's night and you have nothing important to do, just go back in time a few hours, to the morning, afternoon or evening. Therefore, you can still play for longer without repetitively being attacked and teleported back to your home.
Doing it the hard way - Well, if you're desperate not to change your ordinance and you're desperate not to change your time, then you have to stick to the hard way. A few tips are:
-to NOT have your net out when you are going out whatsoever. Even if you are not willing to catch anything, when you walk past, the tarantula will still notice you and come sting you.
-that whenever a tarutula puts its head up, stay still. Don't move a muscle. Whenever it rears it's head, it means it's ready to attack. Be very, very careful and cautious.
-to listen closely for scratching. Tarantulas always make scratching noises, and that's one way to recognise them. When you're walking around town, be aware of the scratching. Once you hear them, then that means they're nearby.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've always had the Beautiful Town Ordinance, and it doesn't stop Tarantulas. o_O

They spawn all over my town.

I'm use to them now.

I've always had the Beautiful Town Ordinance, and it doesn't stop Tarantulas. o_O

They spawn all over my town.

I'm use to them now.

Oh! Thanks for pointing that out! I got confused with that!
But what I think is that the chances get lessened with the ordinances.
I actually recorded two videos (that I took down because they were old) about the spawn rates of tarantulas with ordinances. I had recorded it without an ordinance, and after a five-minute run around town, I had encountered 9 tarantulas. Then, I had the Beautiful ordinance and took a five minute run around town, using the same route I did when I did it without the ordinance. I had then encountered a total of 5 tarantulas. That's what I got from my gameplay, anyway.

Last edited:
I saw 3 last night. One after the other.

Next to my house. Outside Angus' house, and right near the train tracks. ^_^

The one outside Angus' house bit me. :D

Oh my gosh the first time I saw a tarantula in this game it terrified me! I've only come across them a couple times and I've never managed to catch one yet. I had no idea they could make you black out until it happened to my character!

Oh! Thanks for pointing that out! I got confused with that!
But what I think is that the chances get lessened with the ordinances.
I actually recorded two videos (that I took down because they were old) about the spawn rates of tarantulas with ordinances. I had recorded it without an ordinance, and after a five-minute run around town, I had encountered 9 tarantulas. Then, I had the Beautiful ordinance and took a five minute run around town, using the same route I did when I did it without the ordinance. I had then encountered a total of 5 tarantulas. That's what I got from my gameplay, anyway.

Oh that's a great idea! I'm going to try changing my ordinance. I've seen only 2 tarantulas and like 3 scorpions since I've had this town, but I never thought my ordinance may affect their spawning. If I have any success, I'll let y'all know. :)

I have the beautiful town ordinance in place and I maybe see 3 tarantulas a night if I'm lucky, some nights I don't see any at all! I managed to catch my first one tonight it was stressful as hell

I understand what everybody means. Tarantulas are hell, and due to Stupid Summer Solstice, we literally get jumpscared by them brats. Next month, we have both tarantulas and scorpions visiting us. But normally, what I do is either:
Change Ordinance - I have the Night Owl (Late Night) ordinance on, and every ordinance enacted will not stop you from getting away from tarantulas. I really didn't want to change my ordinance, but in the end it seemed that if I want to survive at night, then it's best to put the Beautiful Ordinance on. From my actual experience, the tarantulas still do come with this ordinance, but the chances of them spawning has lessened a bit. Plus, some good sides about the Beautiful ordinance is that the chance of getting weeds are rare, flowers don't wilt, villagers always plant flowers and cockroaches never appear. Also, when TTing, weeds barely even show up after a couple of years. It's great.
Time Travelling - If you are desperate not to change your ordinance for whatever reason, then just Time Travel. When it's night and you have nothing important to do, just go back in time a few hours, to the morning, afternoon or evening. Therefore, you can still play for longer without repetitively being attacked and teleported back to your home.
Doing it the hard way - Well, if you're desperate not to change your ordinance and you're desperate not to change your time, then you have to stick to the hard way. A few tips are:
-to NOT have your net out when you are going out whatsoever. Even if you are not willing to catch anything, when you walk past, the tarantula will still notice you and come sting you.
-that whenever a tarutula puts its head up, stay still. Don't move a muscle. Whenever it rears it's head, it means it's ready to attack. Be very, very careful and cautious.
-to listen closely for scratching. Tarantulas always make scratching noises, and that's one way to recognise them. When you're walking around town, be aware of the scratching. Once you hear them, then that means they're nearby.
Hope this helps.

Fun fact about tarantulas, the "scratching" noise you describe is an act called stridulation, which is when the arthropods and insects rub together two surfaces (usually legs). In the tarantulas case it sounds like velcro, but the commonly known sound from crickets (chirp chirp) is also the act of stridulation :D

Back on the same topic, ordinances do help... I have Beautiful Town and I barely have tarantulas (or scorpions when it's the time) which sadly makes it harder to attain them because every time I can catch one, it stings me out of nowhere :( (I play with low volume or none at all xD)

Back