• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you think apps are affecting gaming as a whole?

Do you think apps affect gaming?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I don't play apps

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ably.Saucey

Count your Many Blessings
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
5195-6588-2889
Orange Balloon
Father's Day Carnation
Spring Sakura
Blue Hybrid Violet
Purple Violet
Red Pansy
White Violet
Famous Mushroom
Spring Shamrock
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Do you think apps are helping or hindering gaming as a whole?

Helping, getting more people aware of gaming genres and introducing non gamers to gaming.

Hindering, why pay 30+ for a game if there's this app that's kinda, sorta like that game for 2?

I don't pretend to call myself a gamer, but I think even I would be insulted if people started calling themselves gamers because they play clash of clans or candy crush.

P.s I'm not condemning app gaming, I am wicked at trivia crack.

Maybe it all depends on what generation you're from. If you grew up on consoles or PC games, personally , I feel like you just don't get the same feeling from a phone or tablet game. I've never thought about it too hard though. Great question.

Sort of...? Like it seems like bigger company's are interested in apps now which annoys me because idk selling a console or handheld game is nothing like an app at all...the whole pay to play things seems like it's growing faster now. Maybe?

Not really? Not enough that it's a major noticeable impact. At most you might be able to point to cosmetic and the ability to unlock well unlocks early as an influence of game companies hunting for those mobile whales, but I don't think those are something negative.

Oh boy, here we go...

Well, there's always good and bad in everything. First of all, there's awareness, indie developers have an easier time to be known and develop good videogames ideas, have a revenue and grow up as a developer. More people buy "games", more people get to know videogaming, etc. One problem (which has been steadily been decreasing thanks to awareness) is considering gaming both an art form and a professional career. Way back in the dark ages of non-technology, people would see gamers as lazy people who did nothing but "lose their time with childish toys". Thanks to that awareness gaming has been having across many platforms (including apps), people do see it is a form of entertainment and a way of life (that can generate revenue).
Now it has even become a joke that people who play (or used to play) Trivia Crack, Farmville, Poker games, etc. on Facebook are always our "old folks", parents or grandparents. That is the awareness gaming actually needs to go further. Our generation already acknowledges that (how many of us would LOVE to be streamers or youtubers? It's getting paid for gaming a lot!)

The biggest con is the business side of it. The more people tend to move towards app gaming, the more risk there is that big corporations are going to start pouring money into app gaming and leave console gaming behind. Yes, let's be honest, right now it may not seem as really plausible that console gaming may die, but in all logic, it is a possibility. For example, did you know Clash Royale, one game born from the Clash of Clans line of app games and created by Supercell, has a League system? Yep, just like League of Legends which has different ranks (Bronze, Silver, [...] up to Challenger), the Clash Royale game has ranks (called Leagues) and people have been doing tournaments also! From an App game. S

In conclusion, app gaming has the potential to hurt console gaming? YES, definitely. Right now it doesn't represent a big threat, but! (here's the biggie) IF people start to get into it and show more attention to app gaming instead of console gaming and companies are smart enough to jump on that bandwagon, that's when console gaming businesses will have to re-develop their internal structure that they have been having so far.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I can definitely keep talking but that's like a summary (sorry I didn't write this in the same post, forgot to write it up)

No, not much. Microtransitions made their way to games, but it's something you can easily ignore. The only problem I have with this is when certain properties, like popular tv shows and movies, rather make cheap apps than a decent short game.

But I do think that people have every right to call themself a gamer if they spend hours on apps. Gamer is not a term that you have to earn in any way, it's just a word for people who enjoy video games and apps are a subgenre of that.

Why would I say the Bejeweled on my computer is worth more than the Candy Crush on my smartphone? Why would I say the GTA on my computer is worth more than the one on my smartphone? Apps are programs created for smartphones, they are either practical helpers, common programs or video games.

Helping, getting more people aware of gaming genres and introducing non gamers to gaming.

Hindering, why pay 30+ for a game if there's this app that's kinda, sorta like that game for 2?

I don't pretend to call myself a gamer, but I think even I would be insulted if people started calling themselves gamers because they play clash of clans or candy crush.

As a gamer and game programmer, I honestly don't understand the hostility towards app players. We all started on app like arcade games, so what's the difference? In my opinion the pool should be more welcoming, encouraged by capturing typically a non-targetted host of gamers into the industry. It can be inspiring and there is certainly a place for them.

I think gaming comes in all forms. I mean, what was snake and tetris? those are on phones now and millions of people play, it's simply a gateway into a wider audience and that can't possibly be bad, certainly not for the industry. I think being in this era of games gives some people an uppity attitude, you see this with older gamers and younger gamers too. You could say fortnite is hardly a game compared to other titles of the same type, yet if you play fortnite solely you are a gamer. Or if you played in 1992 then you know more than a gamer in 2000. It's pet silliness.

Personally i geel like it is hurting. Maybe my perspective is skewed but i feel like games tend to be more shallow now because of the mobile game movement and mindset.
I don't know if app mobile gamrs has effected this but the gaming market seems more broad now and an open market. We have more indie games than before which house nice gems.
I also think video games arent viewed as negatively anymore by society. Chances are the person standing in line with you plays some sort of game on thier phone.

I feel like it is both good and bad.

The mobile versions of the games are more accessible and introduces people to franchises that they might not have tried, or brings them back to the franchise if they have been away for a while. Some of the free games can be very fun, and an enjoyable way to spend your time if you only have a few minutes to play while on break or travelling.

However, the monetization format of many of the games leaves much to be desired, and the less scrupulous game developers use the piecemeal, RNG model for their approach to their content or DLC.

With that said, it can be used well. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 basically had a (free) Gacha approach to how you get your Blades, making the playthrough different for everyone depending on which Blades you were lucky enough to pull.

Yes, but for a good reason. Even card games. Companion apps are really good for gaming and playing mobile games on the go is great!

Im not sure what to say. I mostly play Virtual Pet apps and Gacha games (mostly Fate Grand Order).

If anything Fate Grand Order has gotten me interested in checking out the Fate VNs and anime

not really. imo most mobile games are horrible and are somewhat a money grab.

no actually as a "gamer" I think mobile games are sub par and usually a waste of money and time in comparison to traditional video games. Usually games made for consoles or the computer are better quality and not a cash grab. recently I've been really appreciating more "indie" games where you can really see the thought and love put into the game by its developers

I think it is hurting the console games quite a bit. The reason is because some games today are not fully complete and require constant updates to finish adding missing content. That really bothers me how games are still full price with little content in them to begin with.

I think on the surface they've done a lot to ruin gaming. Specifically their awful monetisation practices have seeped their way in to full priced AAA games. Largely this is games released by certain crappy publishers like EA, Ubisoft and Activision where personally they don't tend to release games that interest me in the first place, but I do still come across them in the occasional game taking their chances at further attempting to syphon money out of me.

They're monetisation strategies that didn't necessarily start in apps, usually free MMO's etc, but phone apps popularised it all.

Another thing I would say apps have ruined is the expected quality of games. Anthem, Avengers, Battlefront 2, Activision era Destiney, there's a new one by Square Enix, they're all games that really don't offer quality content, just enough content to keep you coming back and spending money. Even with money out of the equation near entirely, games like Animal Crossing New Horizons were very similar to mobile apps in the sense of offering minimal content and not much of a step above New Leaf in most ways, yet many new players from a mobile market loved it.

That said, I don't fundamentally see mobile as an issue. A mobile game isn't inherently bad, it's just a cesspool market place where people only demand low quality, so that's what they get. Mobile has the potential for so much more, already being at the point of where it COULD make dedicated handheld gaming devices redundant (maybe why Nintendo went for a hybrid system)...Unfortunately, the games to do that aren't there, or at least they're incredibly small in number and hidden beneath an endless sea of drek. Technology IS at that point, but it's being squandered.

I'm not talking about stuff like Pokemon Go and sponsored by RAID Shadow Legends or whatever devoid of real substance game I wouldn't actually sit down and play on a home console. I mean like Genshin Impact, Fortnite and Monster Hunter Stories. Full big budget games designed for other systems that are on your phone right now. I can literally go to the app store, pay £20 and have Monster Hunter Stories originally developed for the 3DS on my phone this minute, and THAT is cool. I don't like Fortnite but the fact you can play it on mobile is a brilliant highlight of what mobile gaming SHOULD be, yet all I ever see are Gatcha games and "my first Newgrounds submission" quality crap.

Back