• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Opinion on divorce

Heavy stuff, my friend.

I think it's sad but necessary. Sometimes it doesn't work out, unfortunately even with that option available, it can be quite devastating or bittersweet. I don't think two people should stay with each other for the sake of religion, another's opinion or children. It's tough.

I really feel bad for the children because they have to choose a parent or are forced in a tug-of-war. Sometimes people just fall out of love or due to business reasons but it is what it is

definitely sad but it's entirely necessary sometimes. if a broken marriage continues it can become toxic and literally scar the children. i think it would be better if couples just divorced before anything like that happened

divorce doesnt prevent toxicity from continuing nor prevent mental damage on children :/

my opinion: more people make stupid decisions and go into marriage too fast on a whim of false love, or for selfish reasons (money, visa to america); these choices are the problem bc iwthout bad marriage decisions there wouldnt need to be divorce. divorce is just a consequence .. marriage doesnt seem to be about commitment to another person anymore.

i dont see myself getting married, not even to my current boyfriend unless we were both truly sure, already open and mentally & financially could handle it.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think people should do what they think is right for themselves, but it's really sad for the children, especially having to choose between which parent to end up with.

On the other hand, I support it especially if it's an abusive relationship, etc.

Last edited:
It's an option that's case by case. You can't be black and white about the issue, and you have to be open minded.

?

Sometimes it's necessary. Even separation (in my case) can mentally destroy the children stuck in the middle of it all. My parents have been separated for over ten years now and they're technically still married. My dad just can't afford the divorce to start again (even though my mum could very well pay for it ?? lol).

divorce doesnt prevent toxicity from continuing nor prevent mental damage on children :/

my opinion: more people make stupid decisions and go into marriage too fast on a whim of false love, or for selfish reasons (money, visa to america); these choices are the problem bc iwthout bad marriage decisions there wouldnt need to be divorce. divorce is just a consequence .. marriage doesnt seem to be about commitment to another person anymore.

i dont see myself getting married, not even to my current boyfriend unless we were both truly sure, already open and mentally & financially could handle it.

I don't agree that divorce is always a consequence of going into marriage too quickly. My dad became an alcoholic when he lost his job and it was taking such a toll on us children that my mum decided to divorce him so we wouldn't grow up in a toxic environment. It wasn't because she didn't love him anymore, but because after trying to help him get up on his feet again and again and constantly failing she choose to have us young children be happy/ in a good environment rather than have all four of us in an unhappy family.

I do think that this is largely because my father refused to get the help he needed so he was definitely at fault, but I'm very grateful that my mum made the decision to leave him so we could have a happy home.

Sad but at the same time people have to do what's right for them and sometimes divorce is what's right

Can be necessary. Kids might not understand it and that's sad, but I feel like as they grow older they'll get a better grasp on the situation and (possible) reasons behind it and be able to put their sad past to rest and move on.

Speaking from experience btw

Sad but at the same time people have to do what's right for them and sometimes divorce is what's right

Pretty much. And some people don't even get along from the start so yeah it's a bit sad that way too.

Also if one got children, explain to them straight, honest and precise about what's going on in a calm environment and don't bring it up randomly when in the car etc. and get along even when you are divorced (I mean so you can talk and don't be bitter enemies and such).

If it's a divorce because someone is abusing or stuff, yeah then obviously the kid(s) can't be there, but if you are normal parents (somewhat), make up a living plan if you have shared custody.

I don't believe in people staying together if they're unhappy, regardless of whether they have kids or not. Your children will not want to live among people who fight constantly.

I plan to have a non-legal marriage, though, and I also don't intend to have kids, so it's not really in my mind.

It's definitely a personal choice that both spouses need to talk through, but they definitely have to consider their children if they have any, and their other family members. It's a choice that not only affects them, but also everyone they know... so they should keep that in mind. But they shouldn't feel obligated to stay together just to maintain society's view of a "perfect family!"

not getting a divorcd is way worde than getting one if youre in that situation

obviously it'd be beat if everyone lived happily ever after but that's not reality. so, like, it's good i guess idk

I understand why people respect those who stay together "for the kids" but it's not selfish to end it - I think it's better that they should. If it's over then it's over. Being in a relationship you're not happy in can be terribly unhealthy - I have only seen that become worse in my friends marriages.

it's a tricky issue imo. but ultimately, i do believe that if you're not in love, (or worse yet, if you flat out hate each other) you're doing way more damage than a divorce would. both to yourselves and to any children you may have.

The divorce rate in the US is way too high and it makes me sad. I really think a married couple should only use it as a last resort if they absolutely cannot work things out. Of course if you have an abusive spouse or some other issue it's perfectly understandable to use it to exit that relationship. I'd like to know why the divorce rate is so high. I have a few deductions of my own.

I think the reason the divorce rate is so high is because a lot of people get married very young and as they grow older they also grow apart. My sister is engaged right now and she's only 22. Love comes in many different forms, and you can find it without marriage.

I think it's way too young. I don't believe in traditional marriage anyway, for many reasons, but I think that it's a mistake to get married so young. Get married when you're in your late 20s or early 30s. It's never too late for marriage, either.

I feel bad for children that suffer through it although imo a lot of younger people are rushing into marriage for all the wrong reasons. It's unfortunate to have to get a divorce but i hate both parties learn a lesson from it.

Back