• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Quick Grass Question

John Wick

𝑩𝒂𝒃𝒂 π’€π’‚π’ˆπ’‚ 🐾
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Swamp Potion
Kaleidoclover
Purple Bat Potion
Lucky
Purple Candy
Ancient Candle
Voodoo Doll
Ancient Candle
Green Candy
I hate patterns, but put them everywhere to try and grow my bald town back, and to stop villagers moving where I don't want them to.

I will get rid of the patterns when I have the villagers where I want them.

My question, does grass grow under patterns?

I have flowers planted in places grass use to be, and 2 months, nothing has grown, even though I don't walk on it, and after tons of rain.

I only want a quick answer.
Does it grow under patterns?

It grows under patterns, but it also gets worn down. Patterns do nothing to protect the grass - if you run over them and use them as paths, they will still turn into dirt.

Flowers or fertiliser or even rain also do nothing to regrow grass. That's a pretty common misconception :(

Unfortunately, all you can do (without hacking or time traveling), is to either stop playing for a while, or just to try not moving around town too much. Especially don't run.

villagers will move on top of patterns, and grass grows/deteriorates under patterns. they're just for aesthetic purposes

Villagers aren't meant to move on top of them. It was in the update.

I know all about fertilizer etc. ^_^

I only wanted to know if it grew under patterns.

I know you can't walk on it.
I know it wears.

I think yes it will regrow as long as you don't have a dance competition on them.

I put a bunch of cookie tiles on my sad bald spots as a reminder not to walk on those.

I believe it can grow back under patterns... Unless you walk over them. ^_^

Really though: the best way to regrow grass is to simply never walk on it at all - and the best way to assure doing that is to create and follow routes around your town in away that makes sure you never walk on the areas you want grass to regrow. There are lots of ways to do this - Such as using paths, bushes, trees, and flowers to build your routes around your town. If you don't like routes... Well, I can't help you there. :/

Also, any type of greenery, including flowers, can also speed up grass recovery on the spaces you plant them. But just know that mud spots that you've seen since day one will never grow back at all.

That's one reason I put patterns down. I made a path where I walk, and I stick to it, since I lost every bit of grass thanks to amiibo's.

I have flowers in places where grass was, and without stepping on them, I water them. It has also rained a lot, and it hasn't grown back.

No grass after the first 6 weeks actually.
No regrowth since February.

Nintendo really screwed up.
I loathe the grass wear.

It's AC. You have nowhere else to walk EXCEPT the grass.

WW was so much better in so many ways.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the grass hasn't grown back yet.
I can't remember, does New Leaf have dirt patches? Like spots where grass just doesn't grow?

The places it won't grow is the entire town.
Not the small dirt patches that are there to begin with. The entire town is bald. I play a lot. Don't really run.
I've made it bald in less than an hour, just walking up and down beside the river.

It's absurd.
Grass doesn't wear like that IRL!

HATE this bloody grass wear!

I swear... From all the things you've said about this game, you keep making me want to check your dream address out to see what's happened to your town...

Yeah that doesn't make sense to me. It's actually difficult for me to cause grass wear in my town and people with dirt paths talk about how it requires constant maintenance.
It's strange that you're having this much of a problem...

Dont run, and see if fertilizer will help, for some reason my grass has started to grow back more with fertilizer, some rain, and NOT RUNNING
ps I pmed you finally :)

I don't think fertilizer has any effect on grass wear. Watering things also has no effect at all either.

Flowers, however, have quite an effect, and you don't have to water them at all for them to repair the grass. I've had grass repair almost completely from pure dirt in under a month by just flooding muddied areas with them. Also, check around trees: You may have a little grass laid under them as a starting point for grass to repair around.

I found that with grass growth (and deterioration) is only apparent with lots of time traveling. If you don't mind doing it, just talk to all your villagers and secure that no one is moving out by stopping them, then jump a month in advance. Walk around and talk to all your villagers again, wait until they ping to move, and jump back to normal date. Repeat if necessary. I don't do this anymore but I used to. Now I've embraced dirt paths lol. There's areas in my town that are completely dirt paths and areas that are not.. I just try and avoid the areas I don't want dirt paths to form and I always walk on those areas if I do.

Last edited:
I don't run. I spend hours walking around, but a game like this shouldn't have grass wear.

I almost deleted my town 5 minutes ago.

Still might.

Last edited:
wow that's so annoying, I have been watering my flowers on top of the dirt for ages and I really try not to walk on the dirt, but when theres a lot of dirt and dirt when I'm about to go over the bridge. Why can't they stop the grass repair stuff because I hate it.

Back