The best deal you ever got on a video game?

Drokmar

Overall, a pretty rad guy
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Isabelle
Hey there, everyone!

I'm here today to ask, whats the best deal or deals that you've ever gotten on a video game, system or accessory? I actually have a few stories myself that I felt like sharing, so I thought that I'd invite everyone else to share any fun or exciting stories that they might have.

My tales to astonish:

• I was at a flea market and found a copy of Final Fantasy VIII at a woman's stand. I had asked how much it was, to which she replied, "oh, 50?". I, a little surprised, resonded back, "50??!" and, no kidding, she replied, "is that too much?" Of course I said no, bough the game and left almost feeling a little guilty.

• Actually at the same flea market, although nearly a year later, I found an old lady who had a snes and a bunch of games in a box. I asked and she said it was $20. I excitedly told her to hold it for me and ran off to get money. I actually ended up putting the system out for sale at my own stand, sold it cheap for $25 and sold all the games online for about $100.

• During the amiibo craze that was Sept. '14 I made close to $1000 selling rare amiibo (hate me if you want). I recall seeing how much Marth and Wii fit trainer were selling for and litterally went to my closest wal-mart and bought the six or so that were just sitting on the shelf around a week into the craze. I also conveniently had decided to buy the villager amiibo on day one, just wanting him. I ended up selling him for $120.

Well, those are my best stories, please share yours below!

Last edited:
I haven't gotten too many good deals since I havent been on the hunt for anything videogame related in a while but here are a few things that I felt proud of!

Toys R Us had a buy 1 get 2 free sale on all amiibo figures so I stocked up.
I had a ton of extra amiibo cards from when I was trying to complete my collection and sold a few of them online to make $800 profit.
I was at a garage sale a picked up a 2DS with a couple games including ACNL for $30 planning on selling.

idk! That's about it c:

I got my gameboy color and a few games at a moving sale for $20. I think I got a final fantasy (which I can't get past this guy that sics bats at you, a lego game for Gba, and a pacman game.
I bought my current acnl for 12 when they're usually 20-30.

I bought my 3DS for $50 and I thought it was a bargain. The battery busted a few months after though but it's pretty cheap to replace :p

Found Pok?mon Green for Gameboy (yeah the Japanese original) with box, manuals, that map and stuff in pretty nice condition for only like, $5 at a retro game store way back. I think the box edges and corner were a bit torn but heck it's over 20 years so what did you expect. It was fun I guess but I think I sold it at some point later on.

When I bought my Xbox One last year I it only cost me ?100. GAME refused to buy it off my brothers friend due to dust (it worked though), but it's perfectly fine now

(I am pretty jealous of the price you had to pay for FF8 though)

When I bought my Xbox One last year I it only cost me ?100. GAME refused to buy it off my brothers friend due to dust (it worked though), but it's perfectly fine now

(I am pretty jealous of the price you had to pay for FF8 though)

I mean, FFVIII isn't exactly worth a lot, but it's the idea of getting a good game that cheap in this day and age!

I mean, FFVIII isn't exactly worth a lot, but it's the idea of getting a good game that cheap in this day and age!

Yeah, considering all those scalper that sell them for way too high, indeed. Even if it's not a rare game, they just do it because it's an old, eg. Pok?mon game like LeafGreen or whatever not "too common".. ugh

found Melee in a thrift store for $2

I'm not trying to brag or anything, but you just reminded me that I found a copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee for $2 at a thrift store once as well! Although, to be fair, I also found it alongside a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess GC, for another $2 LOL!

It is going back up in price now though. Even though the PS1 isn't that old (compared to certain things), a bunch of people want it because it's 'cool' and 'retro'. PS1s are being sold for like, ?50 at CEX, and you have to pay at least ?10 for even the worst of games. At least the majority of FF games are available on PS3 or PS4 (except 12 I think, but The Zodiac Age is releasing soon). They're pretty cheap too (7 being the most expensive at ?13)

It would be nice to have physicals though. It's a real shame I didn't get into FF earlier...
(I mean I wasn't even born when FF8 came out, but I'd probably still have more physical games compared to now)

What does GAME do with games when their 'shelf life' has ended? Like, when they stopped selling PS1 games, what happened to them?
Do they just sell it to another company? Same goes for the PS2... In my head I remember them selling them, and I (obviously) remember a time where they weren't. I have no clue when this transition occured though...

Last edited:
I remember years ago when I was about 11, I borrowed Star Fox Adventures from a friend in school and always wanted my own copy after I gave it back. A few years later I stopped in at GAME and looked through one of those bargain bucket things they have in store full of second-hand games and found Adventures in there for ?3, and in great condition. I was elated, definitely one of my most memorable finds in gaming.

When the Wii U came out I didn't buy one right away either, I waited for quite a while until I had a major itch to play Monster Hunter. I ended up buying a second-hand MH3U bundle from a guy on eBay at a great price, and again it was practically brand new. I might talk smack about the Wii U a lot but I guess I didn't pay full retail price for it at launch so it's not entirely wasted.

Nice to see some great finds in this thread, Twilight Princess on GC is extremely rare!

I remember years ago when I was about 11, I borrowed Star Fox Adventures from a friend in school and always wanted my own copy after I gave it back. A few years later I stopped in at GAME and looked through one of those bargain bucket things they have in store full of second-hand games and found Adventures in there for ?3, and in great condition. I was elated, definitely one of my most memorable finds in gaming.

That's awesome! I always find myself in situations like that! c:

My friend sold me pokemon platinum, 2 copies of diamond, pearl, heart gold, and fire red all for 20$!

She had no idea what they were worth. Do I feel guilty? A little. Would I do it again? you bet

Back