I wish this game would give me a map that I want

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
How many different map combinations are there in this game?? I've been resetting for 3 hours and Tom, Isabelle and Resetti's overly detailed description of EVERYTHING makes it even longer, this is getting insane!

Last edited:
How many different map combinations are there in this game?? I've been resetting for 3 hours and Tom, Isabelle and Resetti's overly detailed description of EVERYTHING makes it even longer, this is getting insane!

Hang in there, Happy, with your normal good attitude, for the map that you want most of all! Don't settle! As the villagers say, "Good things come to those who wait. Gahaha!" They are also (constantly) telling us to take a break, have some tea, stare at the sky...you know the drill! (I'll probably need a pep talk when I reset Novaria at the end of the summer to get the rare map with the cool waterfall!)

I keep seeing maps that I like but the ponds are in spots where I don't want it. I mean, I get that every map is going to have it's cons but something as big as a pond being in an annoying spot will bug me. I need to just pick one already!

I wish maps could show you where the immovable rocks are. That would help

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm getting frustrated. >: (

Last edited:
Hold on.. You decided to reset again? o.o

Well, perhaps my opinion... I think the point of the game is to embrace what you have, and try to make the most of it. All maps seem to be designed to be imperfect - I mean all the rocks, random villagers, mud spots, river/pond locations, etc., seem to be unpredictably placed in awkward, wilderness-like fashion in the first place. It is up to you to figure out how to make it into a nice town for your needs.

To the point: There are no perfect maps. I dare say that any map can become beautiful. It's all how the mayor adapts to it.

I wish maps could show you where the immovable rocks are. That would help

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm getting frustrated. >: (

Too many parameters, possibly. Pick maybe three or four of your top priority preferences and let the rest (like where the rocks are!!!) go. You likey this idea?

Hold on.. You decided to reset again? o.o

Well, perhaps my opinion... I think the point of the game is to embrace what you have, and try to make the most of it. All maps seem to be designed to be imperfect - I mean all the rocks, random villagers, mud spots, river/pond locations, etc., seem to be unpredictably placed in awkward, wilderness-like fashion in the first place. It is up to you to figure out how to make it into a nice town for your needs.

To the point: There are no perfect maps. I dare say that any map can become beautiful. It's all how the mayor adapts to it.

what do you mean I'm resetting again? I haven't reset since April. And one of the main reasons I reset is because I was losing my desire to play and a change of scenery will likely help with that.

And I'm aware no map is perfect but I don't like ponds in from of my train station, plaza and town hall and I also don't like a lot of ponds in my town to begin with. I wasn't looking for the 'perfect' map. I was looking for a map where the river wasn't cutting through town and there weren't too many ponds and they were in spots where I felt they weren't in the way.

Like this map which I finally settled

WVW69kaERBIzKIa7ic.jpg

It's not perfect, for one thing, that villager's house is right in front of Retail. So no it's not perfect and I wasn't looking for perfection. Look again at the map, there are two ponds and they are in spots where I have no problem with. But no this map isn't perfect and I wasn't expecting to find perfect.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Too many parameters, possibly. Pick maybe three or four of your top priority preferences and let the rest (like where the rocks are!!!) go. You likey this idea?

My top priorities for map choosing are usually based around the bodies of water

The river placement (I like the rivers that are mostly off to one side, not cutting through town)
How many ponds there are and where are they placed (they can't be placed in front of my permanent buildings because that bugs me for some reason)
Usually south facing waterfall

Other than that, I don't really care about the layout to be honest.

Last edited:
I see... I wish you good luck on your next map. But still: It's the mayor who makes the town great, not the map.

I mean, for my map, I did reset but twice to get the one layout that I was willing to live with, with reasonable villagers as well... Although in hindsight, probably everyone on this forum would never had settled with it, and would have reset for another map. It has oranges as the native fruit, and the notorious lake and rock next to the train station. But I was still able to make a town that I like to stroll and play around.

I hope you can find in yourself to adapt to what you get, and have fun playing again!

Last edited:
That map is nice! Congrats on choosing one it sounds like you will be "happy" with. ;) One of my main priorities is Re-Tail not far from the dock. Those out-of-the-way ponds are great, too!

Where do you plan to put the mayors house?

I also believe that any town can be beautiful with planning and creativity. I love both my town maps, rocks and all!

WeeHaven%20Update.jpg

I see... I wish you good luck on your next map. But still: It's the mayor who makes the town great, not the map.

I mean, for my map, I did reset but twice to get the one layout that I was willing to live with, with reasonable villagers as well... Although in hindsight, probably everyone on this forum would never had settled with it, and would have reset for another map. It has oranges as the native fruit, and the notorious lake and rock next to the train station. But I was still able to make a town that I like to stroll and play around.

I hope you can find in yourself to adapt to what you get, and have fun playing again!

My new town has two rocks in front of the train station, there is also a rock in front of town hall and retail. I agree, it's up to the mayor to make the town great. Every map has the potential to be great it just depends on the work someone is will to put into it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

That map is nice! Congrats on choosing one it sounds like you will be "happy" with. ;) One of my main priorities is Re-Tail not far from the dock. Those out-of-the-way ponds are great, too!

Where do you plan to put the mayors house?

I'm happy with it. Yeah, Re Tail close to the dock is very convienant, especailly when you're selling bugs and fish from the island.
My mayor house is near the beach where the dock--
Oh it will just be easier to show you a picture

WVW69kaEmgsk4OPOZM.jpg

I'm just happy I don't have to want for PWP requests. I can jump right into my Fairy Tale themed town since Sydney from my last town suggested a lot of Fairy Tale themed stuff that I didn't build.

My new town has two rocks in front of the train station, there is also a rock in front of town hall and retail. I agree, it's up to the mayor to make the town great. Every map has the potential to be great it just depends on the work someone is will to put into it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm happy with it. Yeah, Re Tail close to the dock is very convienant, especailly when you're selling bugs and fish from the island.
My mayor house is near the beach where the dock--
Oh it will just be easier to show you a picture

View attachment 201532

I'm just happy I don't have to want for PWP requests. I can jump right into my Fairy Tale themed town since Sydney from my last town suggested a lot of Fairy Tale themed stuff that I didn't build.

Oh, nice place, right by the waterfall! I would put a PWP right above (behind) the house and next to it on the right so no villager could move in there. They could even be temporary. But maybe you do the path thing. I'm an introvert...like a bit of privacy away from the crowd.

Honestly I think I have found the perfect map then when I get into town I see how AWFUL rock placement is. Lose lose situation.

I hear ya.

Mine are all in the way of something. Or where I want to put a PWP, or a tree. :-|

Rocks & ponds are not totally random - I have several towns, and have reset in all to get a 'reasonable' layout and on the whole they have followed this guide.

http://gentlyusedleaf.tumblr.com/post/86961099174/petal-parasol-its-finally-here-im-sorry

So you will always get a rock somewhere near to all the plaza's and R-Tail; and at least a pond near to R-Tail.
HappyTails - a good map, I too look for maps where I have R-Tail mid way or close to the dock.

Back