Thoughts on ARMS?

tybalt_cake

heavymetallover
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Lobo
If you got the game , have you liked it so far?

I have seen some people saying they got dissapointed by this game. What are your thoughts of this game?

I don't have the game, nor have I played the demo, so obviously my opinion is irrelevant, but everything I've seen so far does not interest me at all. To me, it just looks very kid-like, and seems like something I would play for a day or two before getting bored. The actual mini-games within the game look more fun than the core gameplay. I mean, obviously I could be wrong, and if I actually picked up the game and gave it a chance I might think otherwise, but there's nothing that interests me enough to want to do that.

I remember when it first got revealed, Murray said something along the lines of "they've run out of characters for Smash so they need a new IP", and I literally can't see the game as anything else than filler material for anew Smash character lol.

Doesn't look like my kind of game, I agree that it's probably just to add more characters to Smash. Looks kind of silly to be perfectly honest... Why do they have telephone cords for arms?

I like how they have a storyline for why these fighters have the ARMS that they do, but then I get annoyed with the fighters that are just in metal suits or Twintelle for having hair as her ARMS when they have normal arms. Like they weren't gifted with the mutation and now they are trying to take over the ARMS arena....Jerks.

It sucks because it's on the Switch and I can't afford one. :(

I'd be interested in the game if it weren't full price. It doesn't look worth ?40-50 to me.

I can see ARMS as an interesting game, even after playing the Global Testpunch demo. There's quite a lot of depth going on to its accessible gameplay, and adds some twists to the fighting genre with the ability to fine-tune the direction an extendable punch goes.

That said, being a multiplayer-oriented game with little content right now doesn't make it appealing for me to fork 79,99$ CAD over. Though, it'll become less of a concern with new content being added for months to come, along with an inevitable price cut. Despite the replay value of online modes being infinite, my current Internet connection simply isn't up to par with its strict monthly data cap and inconsistent Internet quality for a game being demanding with accuracy.

i was super hyped to get it on release day but i ultimately decided against buying it after reading reviews and realizing it didnt have the replay value i expected

I'm mostly really liking it. I wish there was more 1 player content to unlock, not necessarily characters, but skins or trophies or something. I am surprised there is no story/ending at all as well. I feel sort of "finished" with it, even though I know it is mostly about the re-play value competition scene. I think if I had more people around to play with locally it would be a lot of fun, but I am not one for a lot of play against random online people.

It is not hard to play to have fun, but definitely is skill based so aspects can be hard or frustrating.

It's a very fun game when playing online with friends. No complaints at all in that aspect. But I do feel like that the amount of single-player content is really REALLY disappointing. The Grand Prix mode is essentially just a warming-up for ranked battles, not much else to it. And the other single-player modes are also playable online which is much more fun obviously.

It's fun, but it lacks single-player content. I have the feeling that I am already doing post-game things even though I've only played for 10ish hours...

Last edited:
It's pretty fun so far. As for difficulty, in single player that has a lot to do with what difficulty mode you play on. It's one of those games that can be played casually for fun, but button mashing won't get you anywhere in competitive play and higher difficulty levels. For those you have to refine your skills, which in my opinion is what keeps you coming back to the game.

I cleared level 1 with damn near no experience and I was like.... this is dumb, why nintendo

tried to go to level 2 for grand prix and got my tail HANDED to me (lol), but i actually did struggle and had to re-evaluate how to play the game. I will say it needs more features, but I think online will be where this is at. Its by no means easy to just wipe the floor with everyone at levels 2 and 3 so far... i'm also semi-sweating, why does nintendo always trick you into exercise.

<3 Twintelle!

Last edited:
So after playing more, I can definitely say that the game starts out brutal, but gets MUCH better the more you play it.
To unlock ranked mode you need to beat Grand Prix at level 4 or higher. So that's what most people will do first (either to unlock ranked, or to just play the game at "medium" difficulty). The problem is that level 4 is definitely not medium and you will fail a LOT trying to beat it, even if you played the testpunch. Online seems kinda basic, so the only other thing to do is play online with friends, which is the same as playing online with randos, except you know the other person/people. So what did you just waste $60/?60/other price of the game in a different currency for?
As you're painfully grudging through these different modes, you get coins that you can use to get new ARMS. This seriously changes the entire game after you unlock a few new ARMS. The game turns from just trying to understand this seemingly basic gameplay, to mixing up what ARMS you use and how well they work. Do your choices combine with each other well? Do they work with your character well? Can you play well with them? Are they there to counter a specific character you have trouble against? Choosing all kinds of combinations is really what makes the game and it gets infinitely more fun after you're able to get more ARMS.
So far I guess I main Byte & Barq, I had absolutely no interest in them before the game came out (wanted to main Helix, with Ribbon Gorl and Twintelle on the side), but I play so much better with them than I do with any other character. Sooooo oops there I go again maining a trash character that I previously had no interest in and will now faithfully play forever as it's the only one I can play.

btw OH OH OH OH, OH OH OH OH, OHHH OHHH OHHH, OH OH OH, OH OH OH

Last edited:
I don't think it is hard to play. Controls are really tight, and it feels good both motion and regular. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve initially but it's not too bad and they have various tutorials built in. I agree about unlocking arms, especially for certain characters who don't start out with any "good" ones.

Last edited:
Back