• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How to make a cute, organized town?

Bunny D.va

June Bug Mech
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So I have my pathway laid out and pwps to use but I was curious...how should I make an organized town with flowers and trees and bushes? I'm not sure where to start but I am growing pink and white roses to use those, does anyone have any advice to use trees and such? I like both trees for winter and spring but I'm not sure how to organize those, what would you recommend? I have a lot of open space for stuff so I can't decide what to do. Any advice in terms of layout for trees and bushes would be great since flowers are fairly easy to decorate with. Thank you so much!

It's trial and error really, you just have to keep testing things out until you find something that works. When trying out PWPs I used some patterns to mark how big they'll be. Then according to how big it was, i'd figure out how many spaces were on each side so I could place it in the "middle" which can make a big difference imo, in making your town look orderly. If you want to make your town appear organized, i'd play around with symmetry. With trees and such, I tend to place those near the paths because I think it looks neat, but you can do whatever you want with them. Although I recommend if you're going to use cedars, i'd plant fruit trees first just incase you don't like the setup. The same with bushes. Plant ones that you're not planning on using incase you don't like the setup.

Last edited:
It's trial and error really, you just have to keep testing things out until you find something that works. When trying out PWPs I used some patterns to mark how big they'll be. Then according to how big it was, i'd figure out how many spaces were on each side so I could place it in the "middle" which can make a big difference imo, in making your town look orderly. If you want to make your town appear organized, i'd play around with symmetry. With trees and such, I tend to place those near the paths because I think it looks neat, but you can do whatever you want with them. Although I recommend if you're going to use cedars, i'd plant fruit trees first just incase you don't like the setup. The same with bushes. Plant ones that you're not planning on using incase don't like the setup.

I never thought about using the pattern for the pwps. That would make a difference. I'm thinking of cedar, sprout, cedar, sprout, etc so it is somewhat interesting but in a pattern too. Guess I'll just have to plan a lot and hope for the best. :)

I agree with it being about trial and error! I like to make gridded maps of mmy towns in MS Paint using a grid, and then I use that to plan things out:
LlothienMap.jpg

It doesn't take too long to make and it really helps me just come up with ideas of where i might want to place things (and I can edit it if something doesn't work in game). But, I can understand how that'd be too much work for some people, too! Using patterns like Senshi said is also a great idea! I used to make patterns that say like, "Bush" "Tree" "PwP" and place those where I might want to eventually plant something, or to mark a pwp space. I only just started placing patterns around villager homes to plan out how I want to landscape around those. I've seen people make little gardens with bushes and stuff in front of villager homes, and it's so cute!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't know if my towns usually look 'orderly' because I'm not a naturally orderly person. That map i shared is for a fairytale-themed town, but i'm working on a second town that i want to look more like a classic, somewhat 'neat' town... I'm not really sure how best to describe it lol.

lorhavensecondcoppyy.jpg

This is my idea plan for it so far, lots of work to go for both towns, though. I actually struggle a lot with landscaping in terms of what colors to use where Dx

Here's how I went about the process of organizing my town:

1.) Start mapping out a lay-out that you want, what are you looking for in a town/if you don't want to restart, what does your town have to offer that you can easily work with
2.) Look for some inspiration, what theme are you looking for? What flower, path, tree patterns will fit well with that theme? What house themes will you have?
3.) Create a list of some villagers that may also tie into that theme, I say go with at least one of each personality because that way you can get all the PWPs and not have to kick any villagers out after you get the PWPs that you want.
4.) Based on the outside of that villagers house create a simple 2-space wide pattern around their housing using gardening supplies.
5.) Once you have your villagers where you want them, start laying out your path way to each house, preferably 2 spaces wide. Then to the main buildings/characters houses the spaces can be 2-3 spaces wide.
6.) Split up your town into sections and try and focus on one section a day, this doesn't mean you have to complete that section in a day but just slowly chip away at it until you feel like it's complete.

Back