• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Would you rather know when you die...or how you die?

when will it end?

When, because if I know when it's coming, I'm just gonna sit and chill... And just wait for it...

I'd rather know how I die. If I knew when I'd die, I'd probably be a nervous wreck all the time.

I'd like to know when, so I could avoid worrying about things that I'll never live to see.

Definitely when I die so I can get things done that I want to (like travel and take photos and make friends and support my parents) before I die. I'd rather know when I'm dying so I can budget my time rather than be constantly afraid of my cause of death. If I learned I would die of disease, wouldn't I become a hypochondriac then? And if I learned I would die in a train accident, wouldn't I be paranoid about trains?? I'd rather live slowly and purposefully rather than full of paranoia.

I'd really rather not know and just live my life trying to make the most of each day.

If I was forced to chose, I'd rather pick how than when. I could at least try to live my life to the fullest till the end without thinking "oh, i'm going to die tomorrow..."

I'd rather know when I die so I can make the most out of my time I have left.
I would hate to know HOW I die. Let's say I die in a car accident for example.... Then i'm gonna spend the rest of my life fearing to get in a car and would try to avoid them at all costs. Might get lucky and the answer could be old age. But on the off chance I die from a freak accident, I'd rather not know lol.

I'd rather not know either, but if I was forced to choose, I'd definitely choose when over how. Knowing what would kill me but not being able to change it would be scary, but at least when could potentially be a little more productive, like if I knew when I was going to die, then I could plan the month before to focus on wrapping up loose ends and spending extra time with loved ones.

When so you don't waste your life trying your hardest to avoid "how you died" or "the cause of your death." It isn't even close imo. When you know when you die, you can try to fit in as much as possible before you die, somthing a lot of people can't actually do in the real world.

Tough question. If I had to choose, I'd probably rather know when over how. At that point, it wouldn't matter to me how it would happen since I'd know my time was up regardless. Method becomes meaningless.

I would rather know neither as knowing either one is just going to make me fret over it and not be able to live my life the way I want to.

I guess if I had to choose I would choose when, but I would rather not know at all. :)

This is so hard as death is a huge cause of anxiety for me, and is probably my biggest fear - knowing either would stress me out a lot, but I think I would rather know how if I /had/ to choose

I guess how.
To try and prevent it :D

Though if I were to die in a horrible tragedy, it would probably make me a little depressed to know it.

I wouldn’t like to know when though. I don’t teslly want to know if it’s sooner than expected

Last edited:
WHEN! Then I can prepare for the inevitable, comfort everyone I love, spend the last remaining days the way I want to, and come to terms with it knowing I have no regrets.

Last edited:
I would definitely rather know when I was going to die. Death doesn't scare me, so regardless of how much or little time I had left, I think I'd accept it. Plus, knowing when it would happen would give me the opportunity to make sure everything was taken care of ahead of time so my husband didn't have to stress over things, assuming he outlived me. I could have all the important details worked out.

I would NOT want to know how I died, because unless it was peacefully in my sleep, I'd stress over it constantly. While I'm not afraid of death, I am afraid of the potential pain and/or fear depending on the method. And if it's one of the types of deaths I fear most, like drowning or fire, I don't know if I could ever handle that knowledge.

Back