• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Am I being petty?

That's a really crappy policy that's only there to screw over the servers. A good manager would have a much fairer policy among their staff and not leave these issues for you all to deal with. That's what managers are for, lol.

Honestly, my best advice would be to act as professional as possible and to apply for other jobs. It seems like your co-workers are taking advantage of your work ethic since you have mentioned this isn't the first time this has happened & your bosses sound unhelpful. I would quit over that ridiculous work policy alone. Try not to mention anything personal, especially your financial situation with your co-workers. They seem to get the idea you don't enjoy confrontations.

As for the 50 cents, do not allow others to borrow from you. I'd say it's best to let it go. I'd be more annoyed at sharing tips tbh. You could always say, "Sorry, I don't have change on me" and not open your wallet in front of others so they don't try to ask for change. Hope it gets better.

That's a really crappy policy that's only there to screw over the servers. A good manager would have a much fairer policy among their staff and not leave these issues for you all to deal with. That's what managers are for, lol.

Honestly, my best advice would be to act as professional as possible and to apply for other jobs. It seems like your co-workers are taking advantage of your work ethic since you have mentioned this isn't the first time this has happened & your bosses sound unhelpful. I would quit over that ridiculous work policy alone. Try not to mention anything personal, especially your financial situation with your co-workers. They seem to get the idea you don't enjoy confrontations.

As for the 50 cents, do not allow others to borrow from you. I'd say it's best to let it go. I'd be more annoyed at sharing tips tbh. You could always say, "Sorry, I don't have change on me" and not open your wallet in front of others so they don't try to ask for change. Hope it gets better.

To be honest, I love working for this company, for the most part anyway. I just don't like some of their policies, especially this one. But they trust their employees to be fair to each other, especially since there's no way they could regulate tip sharing fairly. They can't always know who really did all the work since they don't watch you working the entire time. So they wouldn't be able to side with anyone because it's just a he said/she said situation at that point. It's honestly just something that's between each server to deal with. Some are more fair than others. For example, a server accidentally stole a table from my section and when he found out, he tried to give me the tips from them. I refused of course, since I didn't do the work, and I proceeded to help him with his section duties just because I really appreciated him trying to make it right. He even offered to buy me a meal, which I also refused. That server also gave half his tip to his trainee whereas my trainers did not do that for me when I was doing all the work. So every individual server is different. When it comes to our tips, we are in charge of how we want to split it after tip out (hopefully that makes sense). So it's not really the job itself that's the issue. Being a server just comes with these problems since not everyone is fair, unfortunately.

This job has actually been the best one I've had so I haven't thought of quitting as an option. I feel respected and appreciated, I have helpful people around me willing to help without getting impatient, no one calls me names or belittles me like in previous jobs, and the managers do not take advantage of me like my previous jobs did as well. So I am happy to stay for those reasons. Just certain people I work with are greedy, and some take more than they deserve. :( But I have fantastic coworkers as well who would play fair, like the person I mentioned before, and I love them for it.

Also, unfortunately, I have to open my wallet in front of everyone almost after every shift because I need to do my cash out. I have to grab exact change from my wallet. So it's kind of unavoidable. :(

Thank you so much for your advice! I know how it sounds awful from just this story, but I promise I'm happy there in all other ways ^_^

To be honest, I love working for this company, for the most part anyway. I just don't like some of their policies, especially this one. But they trust their employees to be fair to each other, especially since there's no way they could regulate tip sharing fairly. They can't always know who really did all the work since they don't watch you working the entire time. So they wouldn't be able to side with anyone because it's just a he said/she said situation at that point. It's honestly just something that's between each server to deal with. Some are more fair than others. For example, a server accidentally stole a table from my section and when he found out, he tried to give me the tips from them. I refused of course, since I didn't do the work, and I proceeded to help him with his section duties just because I really appreciated him trying to make it right. He even offered to buy me a meal, which I also refused. That server also gave half his tip to his trainee whereas my trainers did not do that for me when I was doing all the work. So every individual server is different. When it comes to our tips, we are in charge of how we want to split it after tip out (hopefully that makes sense). So it's not really the job itself that's the issue. Being a server just comes with these problems since not everyone is fair, unfortunately.

This job has actually been the best one I've had so I haven't thought of quitting as an option. I feel respected and appreciated, I have helpful people around me willing to help without getting impatient, no one calls me names or belittles me like in previous jobs, and the managers do not take advantage of me like my previous jobs did as well. So I am happy to stay for those reasons. Just certain people I work with are greedy, and some take more than they deserve. :( But I have fantastic coworkers as well who would play fair, like the person I mentioned before, and I love them for it.

Also, unfortunately, I have to open my wallet in front of everyone almost after every shift because I need to do my cash out. I have to grab exact change from my wallet. So it's kind of unavoidable. :(

Thank you so much for your advice! I know how it sounds awful from just this story, but I promise I'm happy there in all other ways ^_^

Ah okay, I see! It's good that your other co-worker was reasonable. The policy still sounds awful, though. From what you've described, it can open up many cans of worms. As long as you're content in your job, then so be it. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, though! Confrontations don't have to be negative. It could be something like a friendly reminder. Maybe next time when you team up with someone, determine how you both want to handle tables & tips so misunderstandings are less likely. Don't let people walk over you just because you're new. Be friendly but firm. :)

Good luck. Y'all are doing the lord's work. Restaurant employees handle so much.

Honestly, if that's how the story goes, I at least think that you have the right to be upset about the tips. I think that it does seem a bit unfair, especially if he was aware of you doing the majority of the work there. As far as the loan goes, I'm thinking you might only be as upset as you are because of the tips. I'd at least like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he may have forgotten about the tip? I guess that's about all I could say on the matter.

Back