• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Bethesda charging for mods?

wynn

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I watched this video:

Being a big lover of Fallout 4 and Skyrim, it makes me upset that Bethesda is planning to charge for mods they didn't make through the Creation Club.

What are your opinions on this?

I thought they dropped the idea of paid mods forever ago? What the hell is this?

Last edited:
Hi.

I'm a mod creator here. I create original 3D models, graphics, and textures for use in video game mods (and occasionally original video games), and while it is 100% fine for people to sell their mods, and helps us out a ton and makes modding for communities worth the time and effort, this plan seems very, very unfair, and I wouldn't be participating in it as a creator.

Last edited:
No mod authors should take part in this program at all. Of course they have to seek profit on something everybody loves that's free. This is like with my one thread about gaming companies becoming more greedy. This is what I mean. They'll capitalize on something once it starts getting popular enough. I misunderstood this when watching E3. I thought that people who worked on the games would produce mods and have them available to sell. I didn't realize this affected the whole modding community.

Hi.

I'm a mod creator here. I create original 3D models, graphics, and textures for use in video game mods (and occasionally original video games), and while it is 100% fine for people to sell their mods, and helps us out a ton and makes modding for communities worth the time and effort, this plan seems very, very unfair, and I wouldn't be participating in it as a creator.

Completely agree! I don't mind creators selling their mods but when I heard that Bethesda was basically taking advantage of the creators and not even planning to give their fair share of the profit, I was pretty upset. I love using mods in my games. Its unfortunate that companies are becoming so greedy as DarkDesertFox said. :(

Last edited:
I thought they dropped the idea of paid mods forever ago? What the hell is this?

Pretty much, jesus christ. I no longer play Skyrim and whatnot mod games but yeah sure this makes me even less wanna go back playing that...

I am disappointed they're trying again to do paid mods. I'll happily donate directly to a mod author to show appreciation of a mod I enjoyed if they accept it but I don't like the way Beth are saying this will work.

I am disappointed they're trying again to do paid mods. I'll happily donate directly to a mod author to show appreciation of a mod I enjoyed if they accept it but I don't like the way Beth are saying this will work.

Yeah, this or just buy if I knew the money were going where it should and/or paying directly to the creator (latter might be a bit hard though since I don't have PayPal and stuff).

But yeah, bad capitalist idea deluxe.

I wonder if they'll ever scrap this idea seeing how much everyone dislikes it?

Back