• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

West London Tower Block Fire

12 have been pronounced dead so far. But I fear the casualties are much higher than that. Has the cause been identified yet?

I've also been hearing that it was a refrigerator that exploded, however the building is still burning and the fire brigade have said they likely won't have a solid number of fatalities for days to come now. The building had 500 residents, so I fear it may be more fatalities than twelve, sadly.

An officer spoke to BBC news and said that he doesn't anticipate any more survivors which says it all, really. It's safe to say that there's been a tremendous loss of life.

That's just awful :( time will tell how many the final number will be. Just tragic.

With every article I read, my heart aches even more. Hearing about people screaming for help at their windows- some of them being kids- has brought me close to tears. No one should have to go out that way, in their homes where they should feel at their safest. I have family who live in flats, ok it's not a tower block but the building's still a few stories high, goodness knows if it were them.

not sure if it said they expect triple figures or don't expect tripe figures, but they have said that some victims may never be identified. imagine your family was up there on the higher floors and never knowing if they died in the fire or not. just heartbreaking.

sadiq khan is under a lot of pressure now. people already hate him enough for being a muslim and automatically associating him with supporting terrorism (lmao so thick), now this, who knows?

Why are they blaming him and not the tories for cutting public services and rejecting a bill that would make it illegal for people tpo rent or sell unsafe properties like this one? Or the company that made the refurbishments and the fact they did not listen to the residents when they complained about safety.

Why are they blaming him and not the tories for cutting public services and rejecting a bill that would make it illegal for people tpo rent or sell unsafe properties like this one? Or the company that made the refurbishments and the fact they did not listen to the residents when they complained about safety.

The last evacuation check Grenfell did was 11 years ago. Frankly, it isn't the mayor's fault for this loss of life, but the Tories for not passing the law you mentioned and the owner of the building for not making sure that the building was secure, fireproofed and making sure that the building was able to be evacuated in as swift time as physically possible in emergencies.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Probably the counsel as well for not enforcing security checks.

TM didn't even go and see the victims she stood with the firefighters then left. At least JC made an effort to see and comfort as many people as possible.

It's really sad. Reading their last words too is even sadder. I truly feel that it could've been prevented, having seen an article on how the fire extinguishers were decades old yet the council never bothered to replace them. It truly is upsetting.

Back