When that one villager will not cooperate with plot resetting...

ashubii

Dream Weaver
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
White Pansy
I am so ready to roast Patty >: (

I have a perfectly good spot for her. I know her little cow bottom will fit there. But I used her amiibo card to move another villager out, which meant I had no time to cover the old villager's plot space up with patterns. So now Miss Patty refuses to settle anywhere but that one, terrible spot.

You are ruining my aesthetic, Patty D:<

- - - Post Merge - - -

I needed to get that out. Now I can return to disappointment.

I know she's not fixed in that spot, either, because she'll adjust her position by like, a space or two every stinkin' time.

Last edited:
That's how I messed up my town.
Used amiibo cards to try and get villagers out of bad spots, and I ended up with 7 amiibo's in even worse plots. :(

Amiibo's seem to always take the spot of the one you kicked out with it's card.

That's how I messed up my town.
Used amiibo cards to try and get villagers out of bad spots, and I ended up with 7 amiibo's in even worse plots. :(

Amiibo's seem to always take the spot of the one you kicked out with it's card.

I've actually had pretty good luck with it in all three of my towns. At the most I'll only have to reset once or twice for a villager. Granted, they had more than just 2 options to choose from before now. I'm about to just give up and let her keep the spot, and hopefully she'll decide to move on her own eventually >.<

I hate when that happens! Usually I have pretty good luck with it but occasionally there is that one villager that just won't cooperate. I feel your pain! Good luck I hope she goes where you want her to soon!

Put patterns surrounding the old spot so she cannot move slightly to the side. Leave the spot you want her in open and only that spot. That way there are only two options and it'll be easier to plot. I did it this way and had no issues with plotting.

Put patterns surrounding the old spot so she cannot move slightly to the side. Leave the spot you want her in open and only that spot. That way there are only two options and it'll be easier to plot. I did it this way and had no issues with plotting.

This is exactly what I do, but this time I used her card to force another villager out. Which puts that villager in boxes immediately and brings the new one in the very next day. So no matter what, that spot the old villager was in will be open.I had only that spot and the spot I actually wanted her to live open, but I gave up and just let her stay where she was going to stay ><

Glad that I didn't find it hard to put my villagers where I wanted them since the big update. Their respective locations are pretty much set after that so I never needed to plot reset whenever I want to replace any of my villagers. Keep in mind there is a limit of per acre so that's probably the one of the reasons why villagers don't move in to that specific place that you've made for them (assuming they meet the space requirements).

This is exactly what I do, but this time I used her card to force another villager out. Which puts that villager in boxes immediately and brings the new one in the very next day. So no matter what, that spot the old villager was in will be open.I had only that spot and the spot I actually wanted her to live open, but I gave up and just let her stay where she was going to stay ><

Yes I understand that. I moved in all my current villagers that way. My whole town is covered in patterns. I surround the old house with patterns so that the new house cannot move 1 or 2 spaces away (which you said the new villager keeps doing). If you only leave the other spot open (the one you want them to move into), then every time you plot reset, it'll be 50/50 that she'll end up in the right spot rather than 25% chance or so only when it can move 1 - 2 tiles around the original spot. With this method, 5 times I didn't even have to plot reset because the first time I started my new character, the villager was already in the right spot. 3 times, I only had to plot reset around 5 times or less. My worst case scenario was plot resetting for a little under an hour, once.

I'm sorry you had to settle on the spot, though :( And maybe I'm misunderstanding the scenario. The way I understood it, there was still room left around the old house to allow it to move some spaces.

Yes I understand that. I moved in all my current villagers that way. My whole town is covered in patterns. I surround the old house with patterns so that the new house cannot move 1 or 2 spaces away (which you said the new villager keeps doing). If you only leave the other spot open (the one you want them to move into), then every time you plot reset, it'll be 50/50 that she'll end up in the right spot rather than 25% chance or so only when it can move 1 - 2 tiles around the original spot. With this method, 5 times I didn't even have to plot reset because the first time I started my new character, the villager was already in the right spot. 3 times, I only had to plot reset around 5 times or less. My worst case scenario was plot resetting for a little under an hour, once.

I'm sorry you had to settle on the spot, though :( And maybe I'm misunderstanding the scenario. The way I understood it, there was still room left around the old house to allow it to move some spaces.

Nah, I think you understood it and maybe I just misread! Thank you for the tips, though~ Someone else mentioned the per acre limit and that could be the problem... Which is disappointing if so :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

Glad that I didn't find it hard to put my villagers where I wanted them since the big update. Their respective locations are pretty much set after that so I never needed to plot reset whenever I want to replace any of my villagers. Keep in mind there is a limit of per acre so that's probably the one of the reasons why villagers don't move in to that specific place that you've made for them (assuming they meet the space requirements).

That is a really good point that I didn't consider at all... And i think that might be the problem.
I have a gridded map of my town here that I use to make plans, i'm 99% positive it's 110% accurate. All of the purple houses are where villagers currently are, but the red house is where I wanted Patty to go. I think I remember reading the acre limit was around 3 or something? So I'm guessing this isn't going to work. :(
lorhavensecondcoppyy.jpg

Wow, that's small :/ Maybe this is bigger http://imgur.com/a/4fmbc

Last edited:
That is a really good point that I didn't consider at all... And i think that might be the problem.
I have a gridded map of my town here that I use to make plans, i'm 99% positive it's 110% accurate. All of the purple houses are where villagers currently are, but the red house is where I wanted Patty to go. I think I remember reading the acre limit was around 3 or something? So I'm guessing this isn't going to work. :(
View attachment 201283

Wow, that's small :/ Maybe this is bigger http://imgur.com/a/4fmbc

I'm not sure but I think the upper part wasn't properly divided :p The train station as well as the pavement should be inside the green boxes. That's where the counting should start. One acre is 16x16 right? If you count it from the top (outside of the green boxes), it's only 16x14. I've noticed this because something looks odd around the area near alt. character's house on the southwest part of your map. That and the other 3 villager houses were able to fit in the same acre where it's supposed to be only three villager/player house/permanent pwp per acre.

Try to compare yours with this: http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?310996-The-precision-of-villager-plot-resetting :)

Last edited:
If it helps, I once had to plot reset for over 20 hours (not in a row!) to get a villager where I wanted because it just plotted down in THE WORST PLACES so I couldn't let them do that...

I'm not sure but I think the upper part wasn't properly divided :p The train station as well as the pavement should be inside the green boxes. That's where the counting should start. One acre is 16x16 right? If you count it from the top (outside of the green boxes), it's only 16x14. I've noticed this because something looks odd around the area near alt. character's house on the southwest part of your map. That and the other 3 villager houses were able to fit in the same acre where it's supposed to be only three villager/player house/permanent pwp per acre.

Try to compare yours with this: http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?310996-The-precision-of-villager-plot-resetting :)

I'm not sure I follow. Those green boxes at the top represent trees, and the space above them is the space right in front of the train-tracks. So counting from that it's still 16x16 unless I keep miscounting. Everything else spacing wise has been accurate for me in-game. The alt-character on the south-west of town isn't actually there yet, this is just where I've been playing with ideas of where I might want to try and put things. Maybe it is all off, I'm not sure. I've been making maps like this for a long time so I have a system that works for me, even if it's totally out of whack lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have another town I haven't tried making a map for yet, so if I do I'll try to be more mindful

It's awful when that happens, I remember plot resetting for Joey and him just going in any other place but the one I picked out for him. Now, I don't cover my entire town in paths so that was probably why but there was so many spaces he could've chosen from and he chose the worst one. I eventually just let him plot there and moved him out.

Last edited:
I haven't really plot reseted, since I've been pretty lucky where villagers place their houses, but I'm sure it's a huge pain!

One thing I do, to expand upon the path suggestion, is I plot reset a few times, and if they don't get close to where I want, I take note of the spots they're trying to get into, then I use my 3DS clock to go back in time one day (to before they started trying to plot, i.e. the day I asked them to move in) and go into my town and put paths in those spots to prevent them from plotting there then go back forward and continue plot resetting and keep doing that until I weed out all of their spots and they go where I want them to go.

One thing I do, to expand upon the path suggestion, is I plot reset a few times, and if they don't get close to where I want, I take note of the spots they're trying to get into, then I use my 3DS clock to go back in time one day (to before they started trying to plot, i.e. the day I asked them to move in) and go into my town and put paths in those spots to prevent them from plotting there then go back forward and continue plot resetting and keep doing that until I weed out all of their spots and they go where I want them to go.

I didn't realize that worked! I plot reset as well as use paths, but just assumed no matter what once I load my mayor in - despite the time changed to - it's set in stone :O

I didn't realize that worked! I plot reset as well as use paths, but just assumed no matter what once I load my mayor in - despite the time changed to - it's set in stone :O

If you go back one day and you're nervous, you can always check with a new character just to be sure before you load your mayor. I've done it a million times, and sometimes I still get paranoid and check lol.

Back