• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Super Mario Odyssey General Discussion

My biggest problem so far is the game seems like it is going to be a long, long ride with few clues on where to go. The world becomes so big, and who knows where those last 5 crescents are hiding? The hint system should help.

Well the primary focus of the game was that it's more for core gamers, which fits into the same category as 64 and Sunshine. A lot of newer games have been aimed more towards casual players, so this one is for the serious players like myself.

I like that you have to explore the worlds and solve clues, it makes the game's experience that much better.

This game just keeps getting more and more exciting for me! :D

Last edited:
I'm hyped up now, preordered it yesterday. Just have to polish off Zelda now. ;)

Want to download Super Mario Odyssey on your Switch's storage unit? Be sure to have 5.7 GB of free space with you!

I'd recommend to go for a physical copy of the game if you're interested. Since this is a single-player experience at its core, you might not find more replay value once you've gotten every Power Moon and other collectibles. The file size is still a bit on the large side if you only have 32GB of storage.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-odyssey-file-size/

Holy krako thats huge!

Wait...Star Wars Battlefront is over 75 gb on the Xbox One... nvm.

LOL.

OK. Question. Has there been any further mention of save data being only local? Is it confirmed that will change when the online service goes live? Not being able to splat at a friends house really sucks!

Holy krako thats huge!

Wait...Star Wars Battlefront is over 75 gb on the Xbox One... nvm.

LOL.

OK. Question. Has there been any further mention of save data being only local? Is it confirmed that will change when the online service goes live? Not being able to splat at a friends house really sucks!

Super Mario Odyssey's file size is nothing compared to Breath of the Wild and NBA 2K18, which takes about 13.4 GB and 22.9 GB respectively.

As for now, the save data will remain local and cannot be copied to a microSD card. Though, there are mentions that Nintendo is working for ways to transfer save files from one hardware to another. Although when they'll be officially announced is still up in the air. For now, you'll have to bring your Switch unit to your friend's house and plop it to his dock in order to play your own save file on TV.

Well the primary focus of the game was that it's more for core gamers, which fits into the same category as 64 and Sunshine. A lot of newer games have been aimed more towards casual players, so this one is for the serious players like myself.

I like that you have to explore the worlds and solve clues, it makes the game's experience that much better.

64 and Sunshine were different because you would select a certain level and focus on that one shine, with the level vaguely helping you work out where it is (with the occasional bonus shine such as via coins or whatnot).

This puts you in a world with 20-50 shines and leaves you guessing. I think it'll be fun, but I've played games like this before where it just becomes a boring haul.

Last edited:
64 and Sunshine were different because you would select a certain level and focus on that one shine, with the level vaguely helping you work out where it is (with the occasional bonus shine such as via coins or whatnot).

This puts you in a world with 20-50 shines and leaves you guessing. I think it'll be fun, but I've played games like this before where it just becomes a boring haul.

I guess it depends on if you are completionist or more there to go along for the ride. (BoTW Korok seed hell atm...)

You can bet that this isn't gonna be a boring game.
I think no matter how difficult or frustrating it is, it won't get boring at all.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I guess it depends on if you are completionist or more there to go along for the ride. (BoTW Korok seed hell atm...)

I'm personally buying the game .ore for the ride than to complete it. I still haven't beaten SM64 but it's my favorite game! It's bevause it's just so much fun to play even without trying to beat it.

I am so excited for this game. :D I had the chance to play around in New Donk City and Tostarena while I was at PAX. Despite earlier reservations about New Donk City and how it would mesh with the Mario universe, it was actually my favourite of the two - there was more to explore from the get-go and climbing buildings is fun. The controls take a little getting used to but felt fairly intuitive (i.e., flicking the joycon to throw Cappy), though I'm probably going to buy a pro controller to play 'cause the joycons make my hands cramp up. Overall I am so psyched, especially for SO MANY WORLDS.

This game looks amazing but I don't have a switch lol

But I want to be a T. rex with a Mario hat

This game looks amazing but I don't have a switch lol

But I want to be a T. rex with a Mario hat

I pre-ordered the game back in July and I prob won't even get a Switch until Christmas time at the earliest xDDD

I almost died when I saw a legit T-rex in a Mario game, I'm like how does this dino coexist with Yoshi and Rex lol

I agree with silversea, I'm a little worried that "search every nook and cranny" becomes "lol use a guide"

I agree with silversea, I'm a little worried that "search every nook and cranny" becomes "lol use a guide"

I only use a guide when I start punching people on the game and beating up random NPCs.
Though many times I just continue to beat people up cause I'm too lazy to get a guide lmao

Can't wait for Odyssey. It's so promising and somehow has a better hub world than Delfino Plaza, if that's possible. Confirmed: Nintendo can do the impossible.

I only use a guide when I start punching people on the game and beating up random NPCs.
Though many times I just continue to beat people up cause I'm too lazy to get a guide lmao

I mean, I get it, but I'm just a little apprehensive it's going to be too long.

Reallllllllllllllllllllllllly hope we get a secret slide type deal in every world! This'll be amazing!

If those are the actual in-game graphics that's pretty awesome. It's super weird to see Mario interacting with "real" people - reminds me of the old Mario cartoons. Looks very exciting in general.

Back