Super Mario Odyssey General Discussion

I think the main game is great but the post game became such a repetitive grind. Was already tired of the races after the first one.

The koopa races became boring very quickly. I always put off doing them until the very end. I was ok with them in SM64 and SMS (against Pantisimo?) because they brought variety to the games, but in Odyssey they're in pretty much every kingdom.

I didn't think it was that much of a repetitive grind other than that though.

I just beat this game last night (the story mode) and I think it's my favorite 3D Mario game to date. I had a blast throughout the entire game, despite the Luncheon Kingdom being the most frustrating part of the game for me. The ending was hilariously great, too, and the stuff you unlock afterwards was an amazing surprise!

I think this game is the best 3D Mario game. But it's also very long. If you compare Super Mario Bros to a road trip from El Paso to Houston, Super Mario Odyssey (when collecting everything) is like a road trip from the Sun to Pluto.

I got all of the in-game obtainable moons and bought the remaining ones you need to get to reach 999 moons. Such a good game. After you unlock everything it's pretty much exploration, koopa races, and the jump-rope/volleyball/RC car mini-games. I hope they add DLC for this game. It's too good to not have it.

You get hard mode Bowser painting, golden balloon for your ship, a hat on top of Peach's castle with a celebration animation, and post card. Though you can't get the painting or golden balloon by just buying the moons I believe.

Last edited:
I finished the main game over the weekend. I enjoyed it very much, but not sure how much of the post-game stuff I'll do, maybe try to get 500 moons at least so I can unlock the next world.

I think the main game is great but the post game became such a repetitive grind. Was already tired of the races after the first one.

It was the opposite for me. I hated the main game, but I love the post-game because I feel like I have much more freedom with what I can do.

I'm 10 power moons away from unlocking the darker side. Yay.

I think it's tedious to find the regional coins in each kingdom, though.

What do you do to make your own fun? Genuinely curious because I want to be able to pick it back up and play even though I unlocked everything.

Well like I've been playing SM64 since mid-2011 and I still have fun playing it. I use my imagination a lot when playing games that give such free range, and I feel like SMO will be really awesome in that context.

Like I like to pretend that the enemies are like individuals instead of just guys you gotta defeat or watch out for. For instance, the Grindels and Spindel in Shifting Sand Land are just obstacles, and can be pretty boring, but I love them to death and I love to mess with them all the time. That's just one example of using my imagination.

What do you do to make your own fun? Genuinely curious because I want to be able to pick it back up and play even though I unlocked everything.

There's a lot of moons that have great replayability. Like the scooter stages in New Donk City. Just do the fun ones and skip the ones that are more tedious.

NDC is also a great playground to practice some crazy daredevil antics, even if I'll never achieve the level of skill that some speedrunners have. Finding alternative ways to grab moons is a nice challenge if you're up to that.

I mostly replay the 2D/murial sections though, they're my favorite part of the game. Try checking out all of the different costumes in 2D if you haven't already.

Well like I've been playing SM64 since mid-2011 and I still have fun playing it. I use my imagination a lot when playing games that give such free range, and I feel like SMO will be really awesome in that context.

Like I like to pretend that the enemies are like individuals instead of just guys you gotta defeat or watch out for. For instance, the Grindels and Spindel in Shifting Sand Land are just obstacles, and can be pretty boring, but I love them to death and I love to mess with them all the time. That's just one example of using my imagination.

There's a lot of moons that have great replayability. Like the scooter stages in New Donk City. Just do the fun ones and skip the ones that are more tedious.

NDC is also a great playground to practice some crazy daredevil antics, even if I'll never achieve the level of skill that some speedrunners have. Finding alternative ways to grab moons is a nice challenge if you're up to that.

I mostly replay the 2D/murial sections though, they're my favorite part of the game. Try checking out all of the different costumes in 2D if you haven't already.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Creative ideas for sure. I actually haven't bought every outfit with the coins yet so maybe I'll go back and earn the coins in a creative way instead of farming at Bowser's Kingdom.

I finally got 500 power moons, and I finished the darker side, with help from assist mode. I currently have 513 moons. I'll probably keep playing until I get 600 moons, all regional coins, and all outfits. I'm not sure yet.

I do think the invisible outfit is pretty funny, though.

So I 100% completed the game a while ago, or so I thought. Turns out there was two transformations missing from my list (I got 50/52 I think). Ok, so I started playing through all the kingdoms again to see if there was anything I had missed. Nothing. I've gone through every kingdom multiple times without finding anything new. So now I'm starting to worry that it might be something that is permanently missable.

Has anyone gotten all the transformations?

So I 100% completed the game a while ago, or so I thought. Turns out there was two transformations missing from my list (I got 50/52 I think). Ok, so I started playing through all the kingdoms again to see if there was anything I had missed. Nothing. I've gone through every kingdom multiple times without finding anything new. So now I'm starting to worry that it might be something that is permanently missable.

Has anyone gotten all the transformations?

I have. Are you missing the piranha transformations? One being fire and the other being the oil. You would need to throw a rock at them and then throw the hat.

I have. Are you missing the piranha transformations? One being fire and the other being the oil. You would need to throw a rock at them and then throw the hat.

Those are the ones! Thanks, I would never have figured that out on my own.

I've gotten all the moons in all the kingdoms but Darker Side, I'll get to it eventually. Just hate getting so far and having to start over. Found them all without buying any hints from toad, but I did use Talkatoo for some guidance, which usually didn't help much. Some of the moons that took me forever to find were the photo hint that read "KEEP"; and Celebrating in the Streets, the last one I needed to complete NDC. I went through the festival countless times, assuming it had to be there, but I never thought to move the camera around, and overlooked a pipe.

It's frustrating searching all over for a moon, but it is satisfying when you finally figure it out.
Overall, I wasn't really blown away by Odyssey. I got what I expected, though. Fighting the broodals over and over again got so stale, I wish there were more creative boss fights, like the one at the end of Bowser's Kingdom. That was my favorite boss in the entire game.

I think this is a great game to speed run, but I'm not a speed runner, I do love figuring out tricks to get places faster, but once you get the hang of the timing it becomes effortless. I'm hoping the next 3D Mario game blows my mind and the worlds are more lively.
I never played A Hat in Time but I saw the accolades trailer and that looks a game I'd enjoy more than Odyssey, it just has so much character.

Back